• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Watertown, WI (Jef/Dodge Co)

oofdah

imported post

Hello Everyone! I'm a new member and looking forward to all of the information/discussion provided here.

A little about me:

I am a staunch supporter of gun rights. Up untilthe past few yearsI myselfnever had the need to own a firearm. However, a couple years ago the Mrs. and I were renting an apartment temporarily while looking for a house. We were having some issues there, people peaking into windows and what not at night. I purchased a Mossberg 12 gauge from Walmart simply because I could walk right out of the store with it. Not the greatest weapon for quick home defense, but it was something. Sure enough, two weeks after I purchased it we had a break in. The gun itself never came into play as the guy who broke in decided to do it on a night that I had just returned home from Riverfest with about 6 of my buddies, which didn't bode well for the perpetrator.:) However, had it been any other night, there could have very quickly been a much more dire outcome.

More recently, due to someillicit activity (drug dealing) in my current neighborhood I purchased a new Springfield Armory XDM 9mm. I firmly believe on open carry as well as concealed carry. I think the current Wisconsin laws are ridiculous to say the least.

I am still familiarizing myself with the ins and outs of OC in Wisconsin, which is how I came to this site. I recently asked a local officer, citing both the 2nd Amendment AND our state constitution, why I could not walk down Main St. with a holstered gun on my hip. He replied - "You CAN, but I'll cite you for disorderly."

I aim to challenge this. I would like to plan a route through my city avoiding all school zones/parks to advocate open carry. I simply want to raise local awwareness.

I'm looking for any tips or advice you may have, as well as anyone who may be in my area who has done something similar?

Great job on this site everyone, I will certainly be frequenting it for the forseeable future!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

"You CAN, but I'll cite you for disorderly."

No he can't

I'm looking for any tips or advice you may have, as well as anyone who may be in my area who has done something similar?

From your post it sounds like you have a good grasp of the laws. My advice to you is go for it. It will feel great to exercise your freedom. If you have a dog, take it along. What could be a better way to exercise your freedoms than take mans best friend for a walk and open carry?

As for those in your area doing similar things. A member here has carried many places in Watertown. (Multiple times in Wal-Mart, Pick N Save, Check out this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/25548.html

Great job on this site everyone, I will certainly be frequenting it for the forseeable future!

Thanks for dropping in! How did you hear about the site? Did you have a chance to sign the petition or contribute to operation carryland?

http://www.petitiononline.com/wi1848oc/petition.html

Please forward the petition to other gun owners you know as well!

http://www.opencarry.org/carryland.html

oofdah

imported post

I found the site simply through a google search of "Wisconsin Open Carry".

Thank you for pointing out the other Watertown member ;)I

have to admit reading his posts it boosts my confidence a bit. I've open carried on my property, but have honestly been a little apprehensive about going out in public. I've been wearing my gun a lot lately just to get used to the feel of it.

I did sign the petition, before I even posted actually, and I will be sure to contribute.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

oofdah wrote:
I recently asked a local officer, citing both the 2nd Amendment AND our state constitution, why I could not walk down Main St. with a holstered gun on my hip. He replied - "You CAN, but I'll cite you for disorderly."
Interesting! How recently?

Somewhere on here I documented my pissing match with the former Jefferson Co. district attorney last August regarding open carry. Hopefully the current district attorney is more enlightened than the former.

oofdah

imported post

Shotgun wrote:

I wanna say within the past year. As I'm sure the other Watertown member can confirm if he's ever had any experiences with them, SOME of our officers can be real asshats.

I actually have a couple Watertown officers as customers who are decent guys, but never actually asked on of them.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

SOME of our officers can be real asshats.
You hear this from everyone in every town. The town I grew up in, people use to say the same thing. Then I moved away to college and people said the same thing about the police in that town. Then I graduated and moved to another city and people said the same there. I've now moved again and lo and behold people say the same about New Berlin Police.

At least once a week someone on here will make a comment about the police in 'their town'. I think everyone has had a "story to tell" about police in their town.

I've come to the realization that everyone in everytown has the perspective that the police in 'their' town are more nefarious than others.And I've come to the realization that in reality, they are not all wrong... they are all right! Its just that with the attitude and nature of law enforcement, the position of power lends itself to abusive behaviors from time to time.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abe Lincoln

oofdah

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
oofdah wrote:
Shotgun wrote:

I wanna say within the past year.
Maybe the Van Hollen memo has since sobered them up a bit from their arrogance.
I hope so. When I do open carry, I plan also have the state constitution on me, as well as the AG's and Doyles statement - just in case I do get stopped. Do you think that is a good idea? Or would that somehow come across as being... smug for lack of a better word.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

oofdah wrote:

I hope so. When I do open carry, I plan also have the state constitution on me, as well as the AG's and Doyles statement - just in case I do get stopped. Do you think that is a good idea? Or would that somehow come across as being... smug for lack of a better word.
You are never going to win a roadside argument with the police, If your going to carry anything besides your firearm, a digital voice recorder would be a fine choice.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I second what Nutczak said. Don't try to have a philosophical discussion with police. When talking with police "you are always wrong"

If you run into a rogue cop that has been living under a rock, when he calls back to dispatch trying to figure out what you could be charged with, his supervisor will set him straight.

soulless

imported post

Some cops are stupid. I don't know if they're just doing their job as told by their chief or it's a personal thing they have against OC. Stupid cop in milwaukee said the same thing to me too..

comp45acp

imported post

Lets stop the cop bashing right now. Cops are not stupid. We are on the same side of the law as the police and getting into a pissing contest with them is not at all helpful. Some of them are misinformed and some are doing what they are told by their Chief or Sheriff. It is amazing how many officers do not understand the law as it pertains to firearms. The best thing you can do is to help educate them. Send an email to your local chief and sheriff telling him you intend to exercise your Constitutional and civil right to open carry. Don't ask permission, just inform him. Include your contact information and encourage him to get in touch with you if they have any questions. We are on the cutting edge of this cultural change in Wisconsin and therefore it is in our best interest to educate those peace officers we may come in contact with. When you do carry just act normal-don't do anything different than what you would otherwise do when you go to a store. Walk the same, shop the same, engage those you meet with a smile and a kind word-works every time it's tried.