• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Person from out of state and OC

autosurgeon

imported post

This is in regards to my brother.

He purchased his pistol that he CC's a year and a half ago when he was still in MI so it is safety inspected and registered in MI. He moved to OK to go to school and while there changed his drivers license and got a concealed weapons permit. He has now come back to MI but for at least 30 to 60 days he will still be considered a resident of OK. The question he wanted me to ask is can he OC since he can legaly have a pistol in MI as he has an OK CPL. And second does he need to register his pistol again?

I personally think that his pistol registration should be fine....

All thoughts should cite the approriate MCL please...

I will continue to reasearch this for him as he will be busy in the next few days with his new job and moving in and such.

Thanks Ryan

Michigander

imported post

They don't have the decency to unregister handguns when you move, so he definitely doesn't need to re register it.

For him, OCing without a Michigan drivers license is something I'm not sure about. If I remember right, Michigan honors the concealed permits of all 50 states, but out of state people are bound to the restrictions of their home state permits. And obviously Oklahoma is a non permissive OC state. So I would call it iffy for him to be able to OC. I may be wrong, and I hope I am. Hopefully, someone will prove me wrong shortly...

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:

He purchased his pistol that he CC's a year and a half ago when he was still in MI so it is safety inspected and registered in MI. He moved to OK to go to school and while there changed his drivers license and got a concealed weapons permit. He has now come back to MI but for at least 30 to 60 days he will still be considered a resident of OK. The question he wanted me to ask is can he OC since he can legaly have a pistol in MI as he has an OK CPL. And second does he need to register his pistol again?

I will continue to reasearch this for him as he will be busy in the next few days with his new job and moving in and such.

Thanks Ryan

As long as he's not a resident of MI AND does not intend to become a resident, he can use his Resident CPL from another state to OC in Michigan. Once he switches Residency, he may need to re-register the pistol to himself in order to OC them.

There's no MCL to cite for open carry. This is the only cite I can think of that matters: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
If I remember right, Michigan honors the concealed permits of all 50 states, but out of state people are bound to the restrictions of their home state permits.

Just so you know, that's not true.

The law just requires that the person have a permit to purchase/own/transport a gun on their person in this state. After that, they must honor MI's laws, and that is all.

There's no way that MI legislature would require local law enforcement to enforce laws of all 49 other states.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Michigander wrote:
If I remember right, Michigan honors the concealed permits of all 50 states, but out of state people are bound to the restrictions of their home state permits.

Just so you know, that's not true.

The law just requires that the person have a permit to purchase/own/transport a gun on their person in this state. After that, they must honor MI's laws, and that is all.

There's no way that MI legislature would require local law enforcement to enforce laws of all 49 other states.
Yeah, they honor other states licensees ability to carry, but not there gun laws. I'm not sure which states if any, they do not honor.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:

Thanks Ryan
A non-resident of Michigan may not possess a pistol in this state unless he/she has a permit/license. Both 750.234d and 28.432a addresses this.

Your brother does have a permit so he would be able to possess/carrythe pistol in Michigan. However, not only is he required to follow Michigan's restrictions pertaining to prohibited places to OC or CC, but must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions on his permit.

In other words,aresident inTexas (OC is illegal in Texas) who has a permit/license to carry a concealed pistol may do soin Michigan. However, if Open Carry is listed on the back of the permit/license as being prohibited, then the individual may not OC in Michigan.

The laws in Michigan differ from the above for non-residents with permit/license to hunt deer.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Thanks Ryan
A non-resident of Michigan may not possess a pistol in this state unless he/she has a permit/license. Both 750.234d and 28.432a addresses this.

Your brother does have a permit so he would be able to possess/carrythe pistol in Michigan. However, not only is he required to follow Michigan's restrictions pertaining to prohibited places to OC or CC, but must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions on his permit.

In other words,aresident inTexas (OC is illegal in Texas) who has a permit/license to carry a concealed pistol may do soin Michigan. However, if Open Carry is listed on the back of the permit/license as being prohibited, then the individual may not OC in Michigan.

The laws in Michigan differ from the above for non-residents with permit/license to hunt deer.
Here's the cite [size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica"] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.231a[/font] [/font][/font][/size]

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Thanks Ryan

Here's the cite [size=-1][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.231a[/font] [/font][/font][/size]

Breaking, Section 231a pertains to lawful transport. It's crucial for those who do not have a permit/license and who are residents or non-residents of Michigan.

Autosurgeon's brother has a permit/license that allows him to carry his pistol in Michigan. At this time it's questionable whether or not he may legally OC here. One thing for certain is that OC is illegal in Ok and chances are OC is listed on the back of his permit as prohibited.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

I am reading this incorrectly then.

Good thing i don't have to sort it out :D. Maybe call the local State Troopers or Sheriff Dept.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

Good thing i don't have to sort it out :D. Maybe call the local State Troopers or Sheriff Dept.

No, you're not incorrect. I was just pointing out that Section 231a pertained to lawful transport. It's mainly applied to those without CPL's. Because,

The Section does not apply to:

BreakingTheMold

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:

No, you're not incorrect. I was just pointing out that Section 231a pertained to lawful transport. It's mainly applied to those without CPL's. Because,

A restriction appearing on the license and a prohibition in a state law are two completely different things. For instance, let's say you are driving in Michigan on your home state driver's license. Let's say your home state driving laws state that right turn on red is illegal, but in Michigan it is allowed. Let's say that your home state drivers license has a restriction that you may only drive during the daytime.

Now, in Michigan, you may, legally, turn right on red. It doesn't matter what your home state law is. BUT, in Michigan, you still CANNOT drive at night, because that is a restriction on your actual license.

Texas and Oklahoma CHL's are licenses allowing a person to carry a concealed firearm. The licenses themselves do not prohibit open carry, those states' laws do.

If you look up on the thread I've already said they honor most of (46 apparently, thanks to Zig on that info) the other states CPL. There is no law against it, therefore it's legal; Or is that not how it works? I merely cited that there are restriction, restrictions I am not aware of.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:

A restriction appearing on the license and a prohibition in a state law are two completely different things. For instance, let's say you are driving in Michigan on your home state driver's license. Let's say your home state driving laws state that right turn on red is illegal, but in Michigan it is allowed. Let's say that your home state drivers license has a restriction that you may only drive during the daytime. NavyLT, did you read what BreakingTheMold highlighted in red? It's the part I previouly mentioned. If you are a licensed, non-resident of Michigan, you may carry your pistol here. I did not say it was illegal for Autosurgeon's brother to OC here, only it was questionable. OC is illegal in both Tx and Ok. While a non-resident of Michigan carrys here, he/she must follow Michigan's restrictions for carrying as well as the restrictions on the back of his or her permit/license. Again, see red (nonconformance).

Now, in Michigan, you may, legally, turn right on red. It doesn't matter what your home state law is. BUT, in Michigan, you still CANNOT drive at night, because that is a restriction on your actual license. I agree.

Texas and Oklahoma CHL's are licenses allowing a person to carry a concealed firearm. The licenses themselves do not prohibit open carry, those states' laws do. Have you seen/read the back of both of there licenses, I have not. As I mentioned previously, if OC is listed on the back of those licenses, residents from Tx and Ok can not legally OC here in Michigan. And, as I previously mentioned, the laws pertaining to deer hunting in Michigan for licensed, non-residents of Michigan are different.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
There is no OC restriction on his OK permit.

If that's true and according to Section 231a:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

IANAL, but based on this information alone, I would say your brother may OC in Michigan.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Ok, this is all really confusing,
I am in WI, There are no permits or licenses required to own, purchase, transport, or carry a firearm. We also have no Concealed carry in this state.

So if Wisconsin has no licensing, Would I be correct by thinking I can legally open-carry a handgunin Michigan?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

IANAL but as I read the law, I don't understand how else you could posses one, let alone carry one. I'm not sure though. I think if you do either, and to get a LEO encounter, you'll be in the hot seat for awhile. Are you talking hunting or OCing for protection and or exercising your rights?

Best to ask a local PD, or do more extensive Research.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Ok, this is all really confusing,
I am in WI, There are no permits or licenses required to own, purchase, transport, or carry a firearm. We also have no Concealed carry in this state.

So if Wisconsin has no licensing, Would I be correct by thinking I can legally  open-carry a handgun in Michigan?

No, you cannot carry/possess in MI, unless you're doing so while under direct supervision of a resident, using their pistol, and carrying for a legally justified reason (I think the law defines this as target practice, hunting, sighting in firearm, etc.)