Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Introducing Myself

Post imported post

Post imported post

You can't go wrong with a SERPA by Blackhawk.

Just my $.02 worth...

By the way, welcome to OCDO!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Banned

Post imported post

Welcome to OC.org

You've made the mistake of mentioning your age and the fact that you're in college. Prepare yourself. Any time you disagree with someone you're going to labeled as "young,""immature," and "kid," and you're in an institution of higher education so we all already know you're a liberal tree hugger. :quirky

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO. I will not judge you based upon your age, or because you are in college. I will do such based upon your words and ideals.

AWDstylez wrote:
    Welcome to OC.org

You've made the mistake of mentioning your age and the fact that you're in college. Prepare yourself. Any time you disagree with someone you're going to labeled as "young,""immature," and "kid," and you're in an institution of higher education so we all already know you're a liberal tree hugger. :quirky
    Only if he exhibits such traits as you do.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Welcome to the forums! Also, thank you for standing up for your rights in Wisconsin. The enthusiasm of Wisconsin open carriers is impressive and inspiring.

Holsters for your gun are an interesting subject, because I don't know of a retention holster that anyone makes for it. Hopefully someone here knows of one that is produced.

Anyway, if I was going to be open carrying it, and no police grade retention holsters are available or I couldn't afford one, I'd want the best thumb break design I could get, or possibly a flap holster that has a little tab to be twisted to open. I actually converted a revolver flap holster with a twist to open mechanism into a retention strap holster for my Sig. The holster cost me 10 dollars, and the shoe goo, hockey tape, and bolts I used to modify it cost around 5. It's a fabulous holster for winter time OCing, or when I need some extra retention. I have it pictured below with the surplus canvas double mag pouch I paid a single dollar for.

The nicest part about the holster is that I can keep it as snug as I want, or as loose as I want by tightening or loosening the bolts. If it's pretty tight, I have to draw it by twisting the barrel towards my leg while pulling up, otherwise the holster will just twist, and the gun won't move. It's a little slower than most holsters, but still fairly quick with practice. It's certainly not ideal, but for the price I paid for it, it goes above and beyond what you'd expect.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Also, if you aren't so concerned about retention, there is a vast array of cheap sporting grade holsters available. Any local sporting goods store that sells hunting supplies will probably have different options that cost under 15 dollars. I got my Uncle Mike's sidekick which I like to jog with for about that price at my local Dunhams.

Many airsoft holsters are even suitably durable to use for occasional to moderate OCing. If you shop around, these things can easily be found for under 10 dollars.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Welcome, and hold on there Michigander!

Are you actually suggesting that an OCer use a non retention style holster?

OMG! Don't you know that if it isn't concealed, the retention is the only thing keeping the gun from jumping out of the holster and killing everyone!

For shame!:P

But seriously, I would strongly suggest a retention holster.

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum. I also recommend the Serpa.

You should have signed up earlier, you could have come to the picnic yesterday. Don't worry though, we will have more in the future. Keep your eyes opened for it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough before, I don't believe they make Serpa's or any other mechanical retention holster for P95 Rugers. I'd love it if someone proved me wrong, but I've never seen one, including just now when I searched the web.

And no, I'm not recommending OCing without a retention holster, but some folks will do it anyway, so why not let the new guy know what the options are?

Post imported post

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    protias wrote:
    Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough before, I don't believe they make Serpa's or any other mechanical retention holster for P95 Rugers. I'd love it if someone proved me wrong, but I've never seen one, including just now when I searched the web.

And no, I'm not recommending OCing without a retention holster, but some folks will do it anyway, so why not let the new guy know what the options are?
    http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/Bla...410512bk-r.htm

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

Victory for Ruger P95 owners!

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

Welcome.

I OC & CC my P95 in a Fobus RU-97. If you have a tac-rail, it is the only holster I have found that fits properly. You can get this holster as a paddle or belt style. Under $30 from the manufacturer shipping included.

www.fobusholster.com

Post imported post

roconnor14 wrote:
    Does anyone have a coupon code for nightvisionplanet.com? I'd like to order the holster.
    Doesn't look they have any at the moment. http://www.tjoos.com/Coupon/106673/n...sionplanet.com

Post imported post

Nice! I definitely endorse the serpa now that I see one that's available. I'm glad to be proven wrong.

Post imported post

Banned

Post imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
    Welcome.

I OC & CC my P95 in a Fobus RU-97. If you have a tac-rail, it is the only holster I have found that fits properly. You can get this holster as a paddle or belt style. Under $30 from the manufacturer shipping included.

http://www.fobusholster.com

Nooooo no no no no, not a Fobus.

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum!

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
    rmansu2 wrote:
    Welcome.

http://www.fobusholster.com

Nooooo no no no no, not a Fobus.
    y not???

Post imported post

Some believe they are fragile, or lack retention, or some other reason.

I have one and it works fine, but does indeed lack retention.

Post imported post

There are those snobs who believe if you buy anything less than the most expensive holster that your gun will magically leap up by itself and shoot you for being so cheap. I carry my 1911 in a Fobus every day and haven't had a problem yet. There is a quite old video on Youtube of someone coming up behind a person wearing a Kydex holster (Uncle Mikes, Fobus, etc use this material for their holsters; type of plastic) and while the guy stands there as this man wrenches on his holster it is broken and the guy behind him gets his gun. So, don't just STAND THERE as some idiot tries to grab your gun, and make sure you have a newer Fobus so it's not an issue in the first place. Problem solved.

Post imported post

I've seen the video.

If someone can break the holster off its paddle I would be impressed. If they do manage to break it off of its paddle, I would have plenty of time to react with a second course of action aka knive (whichI also carry with me everywhere I go),because the retention on my holster makes it damn near impossible to pull it out of the holster with your hands. I have no problem drawing from the hip, but take it off your hip and try? Yea right.

I like it so much I bought the spare mag. paddle pouch as well.

Post imported post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast