• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC.org Member - Thoughts on OC vs. CC

chakra71

imported post

I've been lurking on the forums here for a few months. I thank all the members and owners for putting together this resource. With the knowledge I've gained here I now OC whenever possible and CC the rest of the time.

I deliver pizza as a part time job. I cannot open carry there. Technically I can't CC either, but the manager is into guns and he said he didn't mind as long as it was concealed and I was properly licensed. It is and I am. We talk guns all the time and he has sent me to a couple of deliveries that were questionable because he knew that I would be the only driver properly prepared for a possible situation.

So, I have no problem with concealed carry. But here's the thing that I've noticed after open carrying daily for nearly 2 weeks now. I feel like a criminal when I carry concealed. I feel like I'm hiding, sneaking my gun around. When I open carry I walk straighter, move with precision, look people in the eye. When I CC I feel like Gollum trying to sneak around without anyone noticing me.

Anyone else have this feeling?

As others have mentioned, I seriously doubt if 90% of the people out there even notice I carry. I met with an attorney last week for some personal business and he only noticed as we were leaving and I was walking in front of him. He asked me if I was in the security business and I pointed at my 3 year old daughter and told him I was her security, but she doesn't pay cash and her checks keep bouncing! He laughed and that was the end of it. So far he's the only person that's said anything.

I did notice that I was followed in Wal-Mart by the undercover security people the other day though. They should really rotate them around because anyone that pays attention can spot them easily. No one said anything, but they kept an eye on me.

Maybe it has to do with getting a new Springfield XD-M .40 bi-tone that's a nice looking gun. I almost want people to notice it... :cool:

Thanks again for the forum and info.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

A friend of mine said that you'll get used to the Concealed Carry and won't feel like a criminal anymore.
I personally do both, for different reasons. I do get some looks, even here in Montana when I Open Carry, but it doesn't bother me. If someone wants to know something, they'll ask. More often than not, when I OC I get looks and comments from the younger crowd. It's amazing how polite they are when they see you carrying a gun. I personally don't care if they react any different or not.
Myself and MT GUNNY (who frequents this site too) were in a local convenience store last night where some local youngsters (early 20's) were hanging out and when they saw the two of us Carrying, they left the store about a minute or so after we did. Most people still have the mindset that only cops carry and therefore if you have a gun, you're a cop. MT GUNNY tells people yes we're C-O-P, Civilians On Patrol.

I guess I feel that if you want to carry, regardless of how you do it, then carry. I am not opposed to either method. Just carry in a way that's comfortable for you. Also remember, Carry the way you train and train the way you carry!!

P.S. I too like to show off my new sidearm. I carry a M&P 45, full-size and I love it!!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
I haven't told One Person I'M a C.O.P. "citizens on Patrol":cuss: Its an Inside Joke between Me and Mister Idiot /!!!! :lol:

Hey Gunny, that aught to beworth at least 50 ground presses at next Formation, right?

:lol:

I've never tried CC myself. I've been OC'ing ever since I got my HCP.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

chakra71 wrote:
I've been lurking on the forums here for a few months. I thank all the members and owners for putting together this resource. With the knowledge I've gained here I now OC whenever possible and CC the rest of the time.

I deliver pizza as a part time job. I cannot open carry there. Technically I can't CC either, but the manager is into guns and he said he didn't mind as long as it was concealed and I was properly licensed. It is and I am. We talk guns all the time and he has sent me to a couple of deliveries that were questionable because he knew that I would be the only driver properly prepared for a possible situation.

So, I have no problem with concealed carry. But here's the thing that I've noticed after open carrying daily for nearly 2 weeks now. I feel like a criminal when I carry concealed. I feel like I'm hiding, sneaking my gun around. When I open carry I walk straighter, move with precision, look people in the eye. When I CC I feel like Gollum trying to sneak around without anyone noticing me.

As others have mentioned, I seriously doubt if 90% of the people out there even notice I carry. I met with an attorney last week for some personal business and he only noticed as we were leaving and I was walking in front of him. He asked me if I was in the security business and I pointed at my 3 year old daughter and told him I was her security, but she doesn't pay cash and her checks keep bouncing! He laughed and that was the end of it. So far he's the only person that's said anything.

I did notice that I was followed in Wal-Mart by the undercover security people the other day though. They should really rotate them around because anyone that pays attention can spot them easily. No one said anything, but they kept an eye on me.

Maybe it has to do with getting a new Springfield XD-M .40 bi-tone that's a nice looking gun. I almost want people to notice it... :cool:

Thanks again for the forum and info.
First off, welcome aboard. We're glad to have you here.

Mostly I OC, but those times when I CC, I have no concerns similar to what you have mentioned. The only thing I notice is that when OC'ing, I tend to be more alert to what's around me and watch people more. When CC'ing, I'm in condition yellow. When OC'ing, you might call it yellow+.

WheelGun

imported post

I CCd most of my life because the law said I had to. Due to a change of geographic area of residence, the law does not say I have to anymore. As I get used to OCing (mostly in rural areas/backwoods) the switch back to CC does feel asa less-than honest activity. However, as it is said, discretion is the better part of valor. If the situation willl go much more hassle-free if you CC, than do it. If it is legal in your jurisdiction, than it is legal. period.

Statesman

imported post

chakra71 wrote:

Historically speaking, concealed carry has been viewed as being deceptive, and for good reason. Criminals have a tendency to hide their guns, and spring it on people when they attack. The Kentucky Constitution gives the legislature the power to regulate concealed carry, but not open carry.

It's my contention that CC is still a deceptive practice, and OC should become the accepted standard. This licensing garbage has got to subside in this country, if we are ever to become a free nation once again.

"When liberty becomes license, dictatorship is near." - Will Durant

squisher

imported post

chakra71 wrote:
Yup.

Although untucking a T-shirt and draping it over a stainless 5" barreled M9 (well, the Taurus version anyway) hardly counts as "concealed." :lol:

Drives my wife crazy (she's shy and hates attention, she likes that I carry otherwise -- I couldn't care less).

I can count on 1 hand (with fingers to spare) the number of times I've had "problems" OC'ing. One was "please cover that." Two was a :what: w/ a customer service rep at a local Target (which prompted me to get their corp policy, which is cool w/ OC), and three was an LEO asking for my papers at an Arby's. (I can't find any statute one way or the other for IN if that's legit for them to do or not).

That's it, and there are long periods of time between each incident.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Most of my incidents have been with regular citizens who ask "Are you a Cop or something?" or "Don't you need a permit to carry that?" or something like that. It's amazing the amount of people who think that only cops are allowed to carry guns in the open for everyone to see!!
I've only drawn it once in a defensive scenario with the intent of shooting someone but for the most part, just the presence of it is enough of a deterrent for the shady types.

Lord Vader

imported post

Welcome to the OC community.

Last week was my first week of OCing, and that Friday I was detained and handcuffed :lol:. Now I kind of feel like a criminal when I OC :uhoh:.

I think it's funny that people would rather fellow citizens hide their weapons instead of openly carrying them so everyone (including the bad guys) can see it, and be relatively sure that they are good guys. I think bad guys have a history of hiding their weapons, and, in a way, it fits their general personality of being deceitful. I don't have a permit to CC, so I can't say that I feel the same way as you, but I think it would only be natural that you would feel like a criminal while hiding a weapon from your fellow citizens.

P.S. I guess it figures I would get detained my first week since I kept telling myself nothing would happen ;).

AZkopper

imported post

Chakra-

starting my LE career in Kommiefornia, I've CC'd since '94. Moving to AZ a few years back allowed me to OC mostly, with a fair amount of 'casual carry' being as close to CC as I usually get nowadays.

Given that, it is interesting to me that when I go back to Kali and have to completely CC, I do feel 'criminalized', even though I am LE and I CC'd just like that for 11+ years.

Weird, huh.

Bald Eagle

imported post

I have been CCing since last summer. I just started OCing when I started hanging out w/ 40sandWfan and MTGunny (oops?).

I've got to say that I feel much more comfortable with CC at this point. Never have felt like a criminal.

I still feel a bit like a show off, or am putting it in people's face (not sure how to put it) when I OC. One concern I have when I OC is that I may be letting a potential bad guy know who to shoot first instead of me getting the element of surprise. Not sure how realistic that is. Perhaps it would tend to deter a bad guy more oftenthan make me the first target.

Anyway, I'm in Montana and will continue to OC ocaissionally in hopes of getting more comfortable with it.

curtm1911

imported post

See Above Picture.

I Can OC & CC All.

Do You Feel Lucky?

Choose your favorite smiley...:D

I Am Not a Cowboy or Crazy, this is my disclaimer, I Do Not Advocate Anything Except SAFE AND SANE OPEN CARRY LAWS...........yup, I;m on "The List", or Others too..............I LOVE AMERICA..............