• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hebron Rock Colony

moonwing

imported post

Does anyone know if Hebron Rock Colony in Watauga county is a national park or not? I've been searching and I can't find it on any national database. I want to go hiking tomorrow but I always like to open carry when I do and I don't want to get caught with a firearm on national land (because they can throw you in jail for that so I'm told). I don't have a CCWP, but I don't want to conceal it. I just want it holstered on my belt while I'm in the woods. Does anyone know if Hebron allows OC?

chiefjason

imported post

Or is it NC Gamelands? You cannot carry anything over 22 rimfire OC or CC on gamelands outside of hunting seasons that allow guns. It's a stupid law and will change July 1st as far as I know. There are some gamewardens in the Wilson Creek area that will write you up and take your firearm. At least I have been told so by a realiable source.

"It is unlawful to possess a rifle or pistol larger than .22 rimfire or a shotgun shell with larger than no. 4 shot during closed gun seasons on big game—except any size steel or other nontoxic shot may be used while waterfowl or coyote hunting."

[align=left]http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2008_09_Gamelands.pdf[/align]
[align=left]On the first page, right hand column. [/align]
[align=left]Not sure about the park status, but thought I would let you know about the above info.[/align]

murf26

imported post

moonwing wrote:
Does anyone know if Hebron Rock Colony in Watauga county is a national park or not? I've been searching and I can't find it on any national database. I want to go hiking tomorrow but I always like to open carry when I do and I don't want to get caught with a firearm on national land (because they can throw you in jail for that so I'm told). I don't have a CCWP, but I don't want to conceal it. I just want it holstered on my belt while I'm in the woods. Does anyone know if Hebron allows OC?
Here's a phone number you can call: (828)295-7591. It's the ranger station at Blowing Rock. I work for the Blue Ridge Parkway @ Spruce Pine and as far as I know, the Rocks are in NPS boundary. Make the call and just ask for an LE.

chiefjason

imported post

Here is the infamous I am not a lawyer statement. As it stands now, the rediculous law that states you can only possess a .22 rimfire outside of big game seasons will change. It came up for public comment this winter/spring. Public opinion was for the change and they voted to ammend the law. The new law will be out in the new Gamelands Regulation book that comes out July 1st. I will try to get the new law up here ASAP, when it becomes official. Basically the reasoning was to increase hunting oportunities for coyotes and such outside of the managed big game seasons.

This is where it stands currently.

H29)
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]Remove restrictions on firearms allowed on game lands during open hunting seasons but while big game seasons are closed.
[/font]
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
15A NCAC 10D .0102 General Regulations Regarding Use
[/font][/font]
Adopted

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Documents/proposed_regulation_actions_0309.pdf

It's on page 8.

So as far as I know you will be able to carry topcat! :celebrate

topcat

imported post

The new law appears to only go so far. It removes firearms restrictions only during OPEN hunting seasons. So much for carrying during the summer months on gamelands.