• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to site and I just open carried for the first time

TylerEMT

imported post

Hi all! My name is Tyler and I'm 18. I've been lurking for a while but don't have a handgun yet so I haven't had a reason to post. I just open carried for the first time and am definitely going to keep doing it once I get my first hand gun in the next few weeks.

I carried my friends Colt 1911 .45 all over town the other day, not one stare, until I went into walmart. The manager was stocking some merchandise on an aisle and saw me out of the corner of his eye. He stopped what he was doing, went running down the aisle away from me, rounded the aisle to come up behind me. He came up asking me if I needed help, starring at the gun. I told him what I was looking for and he led me to the item without looking away from the gun. He then followed me around the store untilI left.

I even got pulled over for a broken tail light and a VERY positive experience with the cop. I immediately told him I was armed. He asked what is it and where it was.I told him it was a .45 on my hip. He told menot toreach for it andwe don't have any problems, you reach for it and we will, then made a little joke about the paper work being too long when he shoots someone, so please make his job easier.

I'm not so nervous about open carrying anymore. I'll try to be as helpful as I can on this site. I'm acriminal justicemajor and I volunteer for DPS on the road, so I'll try to share some stories and give any advice that I mayhave.

GWbiker

imported post

TylerEMT wrote:
I immediately told him I was armed. He asked what is it and where it was.I told him it was a .45 on my hip. He told menot toreach for it andwe don't have any problems, you reach for it and we will, then made a little joke about the paper work being too long when he shoots someone, so please make his job easier
Ya' gotta' love Arizona Policemen.:cool::cool:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There is no 'duty to inform' an AZ LEO that you are armed... however... they appreciate it. They assume everyone is armed anyway... as the State Constitution recognizes the Right. You did exactly the right thing with the car stop.

Welcome to Arizona... and carry responsibly. ;)

AZkopper

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
There is no 'duty to inform' an AZ LEO that you are armed... however... they appreciate it. They assume everyone is armed anyway... as the State Constitution recognizes the Right. You did exactly the right thing with the car stop.

Welcome to Arizona... and carry responsibly. ;)

+1

congrats