• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange question about property

bugly

imported post

I have been wondering for a time about whether or not drag racing facilities are considered private property or public property. The reason I have this question is the fact that most of them are "emergency" landing strips for airplanes. Wouldn't this put them under federal or state control, or is this only when actively landing a distressed aircraft?

If the property were State or federally owned, due to the FAA, wouldn't it be legal to carry there? Most (mainly all) racetracks are posted NO FIREARMS.

Or is this just a case of eminant domain?

Not really important, but there may be some kind of issue with other types of recreation areas that have similar alternate uses.

Vandal

imported post

All of the race tracks I have been to have been either privately owned or leased to a private company to run the operations. They are de facto emergency landing strips because its a long, flat piece of pavement. They don't fall under FAA authority. My local track is on the FAA sectional, but the last time I looked at it, Firebird was not listed as a divert strip. It is not designed as an alternate landing strip nor are they advertised as one, they just happen to make great places for an emergency landing spot.

I for one don't carry at the track, too many drunken idiots. They are basically an outdoor bar with fast, loud cars.

bugly

imported post

I usually don't have to deal with the drunken idiots, I stay in the pit with my car, or I'm on the track itself (the firearms are neatly and securely locked away at that time).

It was just a passing question, since they are listed as emergency runways in some of the flight planning books.

amlevin

imported post

If you are a pilot you view all the miles of highway out there as "Emergency Landing Strips". Just because one can land on it doesn't put it under the jurisdiction of the FAA.

Bobarino

imported post

i'm a pilot and am pretty up to speed on the FAR's. the short answer is no, racing facilities are not under any federal/state/municipal control as far as the FAA or FAR's are concerned.

flying stuff aside, in this state, i would say the same rules apply as any other facility. if state/county/city owned, them state preemption applies. if leased to a private firm or individual, the lessee's rules apply.

i'm curious as to where you've seen drag strips listed as emergency runways. i never saw anything like that throughout all my training. can you point me to where you saw that?

Bobby

amlevin

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
i'm a pilot and am pretty up to speed on the FAR's. the short answer is no, racing facilities are not under any federal/state/municipal control as far as the FAA or FAR's are concerned.

flying stuff aside, in this state, i would say the same rules apply as any other facility. if state/county/city owned, them state preemption applies. if leased to a private firm or individual, the lessee's rules apply.

i'm curious as to where you've seen drag strips listed as emergency runways. i never saw anything like that throughout all my training. can you point me to where you saw that?

Bobby
The Bremerton Dragstrip and the old Puyallup Dragstrip (I believe it is now Thun Field) were at one time airports. I used to race at Bremerton right after the runway was abandoned.

bugly

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Bobarino wrote:

Bobby
The Bremerton Dragstrip and the old Puyallup Dragstrip (I believe it is now Thun Field) were at one time airports. I used to race at Bremerton right after the runway was abandoned.
That's where I got the info also, plus there were a few older texts i ran across that listed them. Can't quote which ones, it's been a long time.