• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Norfolk Airport

sikboy

imported post

Hey guys,

Anyone know the rules regarding OC/CC on the grounds of Norfolk International? Im in the Patriot Guard and we regularlydo homecomings and send offs for the troops at the airport. Can I OC/CC as long as I stay outside of the airports bldgs say in the arrivals area outside baggage claim? After two emails to the State Police they directed me to the airport authorities to answer my question. I emailed them once and no answer....:?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

sikboy wrote:
Hey guys,

Anyone know the rules regarding OC/CC on the grounds of Norfolk International? Im in the Patriot Guard and we regularlydo homecomings and send offs for the troops at the airport. Can I OC/CC as long as I stay outside of the airports bldgs say in the arrivals area outside baggage claim? After two emails to the State Police they directed me to the airport authorities to answer my question. I emailed them once and no answer....:?
IANAA

Norfolk is an Air Carrier airport (see: http://www.vcdl.org/aircarrier.html). If I was going to do what you describe, I would be comfortable carrying as long as you remain outside of any "terminal building".. Even at baggage clain unless you meant OUTSIDE of the building near the baggage claim area.

sikboy

imported post

§ 18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transport into any air carrier airport terminal in the Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon, and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any weapon possessed or transported in violation of this section shall be forfeited to the Commonwealth and disposed of as provided in subsection A of § 18.2-308.

So I take it "air carrier airport terminal" actually means the terminal building itself and not the whole property? I know these are two totally different things but we have The Norfolk International and Portsmouth International Terminals here where cargo ships pull in and out of and the entire facility is considered the "terminal". Thanks Ed just trying not to get a misdemeanor and my firearm confiscated ( I like my XD .45 and wanna keep it! ) :lol:

ed

imported post

sikboy wrote:
So I take it "air carrier airport terminal" actually means the terminal building itself and not the whole property?
That is a questiuon for your attorney. I can tell you only what I would do.

I have gone a step further and wrote an e-mail to the Airport Executive Director just to see what he says..

- - -

Mr. Scott -

I am aware that Norfolk is defined as an "Air Carrier Airport" under Code of Virginia, Section §18.2-287.01 and that I can't carry a firearm into a Terminal or any other building that leads to the SIDA or any other airside non-SIDA location.

I normally carry a firearm in my daily activities both Openly and Concealed (I hold a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit).

It is my understanding that I can carry on the airport property (like outside the terminal picking someone up or dropping them off) and be in compliance of the law.

I Openly Carry at the drop off pick-up lanes at Dulles and never have an issue. I just want to make sure that your Police Force are as informed.

Can you please confirm that they are aware that the Open Carry of a firearm outside the terminal is legal?

Thank you.

Ed Levine

ed

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
ed wrote:
Let's see if I get a reply first before you write him.. you don't want to gang up on him.. (unless he responds in the negative)
Who are you and what have you done with Ed? :p
Ha! I knew that was coming! In YOUR case, they already SAID NO and put up a fight... one guy even said.. "You asked us this last year and we said NO then too!".. so I was all for the pile on. This guy has a chance to do the right thing. And you never called.. I sat by the phone..

sikboy

imported post

And the response was.....

Messieurs Levine and Bythway,

Since you have asked basically the same question about the legal carriage of firearms at the Norfolk International Airport, I am taking the liberty of responding to both of you at the same time. The Norfolk Airport Authority, the owner and operator of the Norfolk International Airport, and a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia, is governed on this matter by Section 18.2-287.01, Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal, of the Code of Virginia. This Section, which was amended by Senate Bill 660 effective July 1, 2004, states in part:

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transport into any air carrier airport terminal in the Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon, and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, tasers, stun weapons, and those weapons specified in subsection A of 18.2-308.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, game warden, or conservator of the peace employed by the air carrier airport, nor shall the provisions of this section apply to any passenger of an airline who, to the extent otherwise permitted by law, transports a lawful firearm, weapon, or ammunition into or out of an air carrier airport terminal for the sole purposes, respectively, of (i) presenting such firearm, weapon, or ammunition to U.S. Customs agents in advance of an international flight, in order to comply with federal law, (ii) checking in such firearm, weapon, or ammunition with his luggage, or (iii) retrieving such firearm, weapon, or ammunition from the baggage claim area.

Any other statute, rule, regulation, or ordinance specifically addressing the possession or transportation of weapons in any airport in the Commonwealth shall be invalid, and this section shall control.

This section allows the legal carriage of firearms, both open and concealed, on airport property outside of the terminal buildings. The airfield areas are governed by Federal Transportation Security Regulations.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you require additional information regarding this matter.

Best regards,

Robert Bowen.

Robert S. Bowen A.A.E.

Director of Operations

Norfolk Airport Authority

Norfolk International Airport

2200 Norview Avenue

Norfolk, Virginia 23518

Office: 757.857.3484

Fax: 757.857.3265

ed

imported post

AJG wrote:
So, is the ticket counter/baggage claim area concidered the terminal? Or is that the area past the security checkpoint?
If you are in the building that opens onto the airfield (even if it is a cargo building like fedex) that is defined as a terminal.

hunter45

imported post

Since this thread is about an airport I'll post my question in here..

My friend is a pilot and he is flying into Manassas in a couple weeks. I was going to give him a rifle to take back home. Would he be able to take it through the airport and into his plane (it would be cased)? I don't know anything about the laws regarding airports and guns.

usaf0906

imported post

i am not sure what the rules are reguarding private aircraft, but since you can take a rifle as your checked luggage, i would assume he could take it on his plane.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Is he flying form one small airport to another? I know Manassas is a small one, I've flown in and out of there with friends back in the early 80's. In that case, you just carry your stuff out on the flight line and put it aboard your small plane.

IANAL, but before 9/11/01,even if you're travelling on a scheduled airliner, you can still transport firearms. They just have to be inspected and in a locked hard case. DO NOT allow the air carrier to affix any tags or stickers on the outside of the container indicating it is a firearm. If possible, have the hard case inside a nondescript bag like a military sea bag. You should arrive at the airport a couple hours before your flight time to give you time to go into a PRIVATE room for the airline representative to inspect your UNLOADED firearm. They may TRY to put a tag on the outside of your gun case. THIS IS AGAINST THE LAW and you should tell them you KNOW THAT.

I've travelled all over the country with firearms and ammunition, but always in checked luggage and also before 9/11/01.

hunter45

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Is he flying form one small airport to another?  I know Manassas is a small one,  I've flown in and out of there with friends back in the early 80's.  In that case, you just carry your stuff out on the flight line and put it aboard your small plane.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he's flying out of Charlottesville.

ed

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Since this thread is about an airport I'll post my question in here..

My friend is a pilot and he is flying into Manassas in a couple weeks. I was going to give him a rifle to take back home. Would he be able to take it through the airport and into his plane (it would be cased)? I don't know anything about the laws regarding airports and guns.
The issue is not the Manassas airport... the issue would be where is "back home" and what if he has to make a landing in another state?