Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: Wal-Mart

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cañon City, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    I was in the Cañon City Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago with my wife and 3 children.... open carrying, of course. The manager(?) of the place approached me and asked me if I had “credentials” for my firearm.
    I looked at the gentleman for a few seconds, and within those few seconds I contemplated the approach of “It's legal to open-carry without a license in Colorado” vs. showing him my CCW license.

    I decided to show him my license.... just to see what his reaction would be. He looked at my “credentials,” looked at me, gave me my license back, and said “have a nice day.”

    Now.... before all of you die-hard “you have no right to ask me for identification” individuals get mad at me and ostracize me from this discussion board, let me speak in my own defense.

    I was not threatened, intimidated, or otherwise ordered to show my identification in any way. A private business owner/manager(ish) merely asked a question, and I could have answered that question in more than one way. I chose to handle that situation in that manner for the following reason:
    1. I wanted to see his reaction. Would he throw a fit? Would he start quoting Wal-Mart policy that nobody has ever seen or been able to verify? Or would he recognize that I wasn't the bad guy and merely needed to do some shopping? (While carrying a gun, of course.)
    I must say I was pleasantly surprised at his reaction. He didn't throw a fit, policy wasn't quoted, nobody else bothered me or my family, and the police never showed up. The situation was handled in a professional manner, even though it can be quite annoying to be questioned about legally carrying a firearm.

    All in all, even though it was a mildly annoying situation to start with, it didn't turn badly. A local Wal-Mart also learned ON CAMERA that not all people with guns are bad. (It's been quite some time since I've seen a Wal-Mart without surveillance cameras on their ceilings.)

    Ok. I'm done. You can crucify me for showing an ID now. <grin>

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187

    Post imported post

    Actually, I like this approach. I might've shown my rock gym membership card to see the reaction and pointed out that to get the membership I had to be of majority age, same as for OC. (Yes, I know 18 vs. 21, but it still spurs thinking about real "credentials" than assumptions.) Or better yet, my no picturesupermarket club card!

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    I don't have an issue with your response. That's why it's yours . Sounds like the manager "asked" to see your credentials, even though they don't really exist, and you decided to make him feel comfortable by showing him your CCW. I have an issue with public authority demanding something without reasonable suspicion.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    37

    Post imported post

    Good, quick thinking! I like that approach.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    37

    Post imported post

    Good, quick thinking! I like that approach.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    What would your response have been had he accosted you in the parking lot and asked if you had a driving license?

    People too-readily accede to invasions of privacy. If he is unhappy with you he probably has a virtually unlimited right to ask you to leave.

    However, he doesn't have a right to ask if you have money or a credit card or if you can afford to shop in his store or if you're employed or if you have a record or if you patronize his competitors or . . . hell, you get it.

    One of the things most needed by our people is a major leaving-alone.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Texas, USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    W/M parking lot is one of the most dangerous places on earth. Different situation than shopping area inside store. Manager has every right to satisfy any concern over questionable status of armed person inside.

    If W/M keeps getting pushed into a corner on this OC issue - guess what! They WILL issue a "formal policy" - and we won't like it. These are the folks that require a firearm purchase to be escorted out of the store. It's their store - respect that.

    I OC from my parking space to front door of stores regularly - and then sometimes opt to CC at door for reasons that I deem justifiable. After shopping I may again choose to display holstered weapon on return to vehicle.This dogmatic tendancy of some OC advocatesis counter-productive to the cause.

    Remember - "Extremism always brings about its own destruction"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cañon City, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    old dog wrote:
    What would your response have been had he accosted you in the parking lot and asked if you had a driving license?

    People too-readily accede to invasions of privacy. If he is unhappy with you he probably has a virtually unlimited right to ask you to leave.

    However, he doesn't have a right to ask if you have money or a credit card or if you can afford to shop in his store or if you're employed or if you have a record or if you patronize his competitors or . . . hell, you get it.

    One of the things most needed by our people is a major leaving-alone.
    Until open carry becomes legitimately commonplace, we won't be left alone.
    Why?
    Because we (open carry people) are the exception (although perfectly legal) to everyday conduct. Being the exception *to anything* is going to get some sort of attention. We can handle that attention in only two different ways:
    1.) We can get frustrated at the attention we bring upon ourselves, and give ourselves a black eye for our complete lack of patience and understanding towards the rest of society.
    2.) We can start (re)teaching the populous that people who open carry are NOT criminals, that what we are doing is perfectly legal, and should be socially acceptable.

    Personally, I prefer the latter of the two.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,187

    Post imported post

    albritton77 wrote:
    2.) We can start (re)teaching the populous that people who open carry are NOT criminals, that what we are doing is perfectly legal, and should be socially acceptable.

    Personally, I prefer the latter of the two.
    Absolutely. All the more reason to good naturedly smile andshow him your Subway sandwich of the month club card. Wait, I think you can be a minor and have one of those.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    this was a couple months ago, but I was in Salida Wal-mart, and there was an off duty cop in there, he had already seen me and done nothing, but some of the people got concerned so he asked me if I had a permit, I semi-chuckled and said that I did not need one for open carry, he asked for my ID and I said he didn't need that either. He then threatened bringing a uniformed, on duty cop there, I told him to go ahead and do that, that kinda surprised him, so I went ahead and gave it to him after he said that people were concerned, I also had told him my reason for open carry; self-defense. He just wrote down my ID numbers and I went on my way, he kept saying it wasn't a good idea to carry in wal-mart, I replied by saying that if anyone did attempt to commit a "shooting", I was not going to be unarmed. This was about the worst I've ever dealt with so far. One other thing, I like that you showed the manager your ccw, but you see, I can't get one yet, I'm 19 and it's perfectly legal for me to open carry, but not conceal until I'm 21 and can get a permit.



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cañon City, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    Personally, I would have made him get the uniformed officer..... just to make him follow through with such an unjustified threat.
    The excuse of "the customers are worried" as a need to see your ID was not legally justified and wouldn't have held a drop of water in court.

    But that's just me....

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    true, but I'd rather NOT get arrested.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cañon City, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    Arrested for what?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    186

    Post imported post

    Yeah, you are not going to get arrested. The manager can ask you to leave, then you file a complaint with corporate for a violation of policy (state law is Wal Mart law). Or the cop wrongfully arrests you and you have a civil suit on your hands.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    SANDCREEK wrote:

    If W/M keeps getting pushed into a corner on this OC issue - guess what! They WILL issue a "formal policy" - and we won't like it. These are the folks that require a firearm purchase to be escorted out of the store. It's their store - respect that.



    Remember - "Extremism always brings about its own destruction"



    So your saying Wal-Mart is going to come out with a policy for Fire-Arms if we keep OC'ing Correct.

    I wish Wal-Mart would come up with a policy so it could be challenged. Your fears about Wal-Mart are based on your own Ignorance. See I have been pushing Wal-Mart for years to come out with a policy.

    Now grasshopper if a company this large came out with a policy stating no guns they would loose bussiness in the millions. It's Far better for Wal-Mart to sit on the fenceline and give the District manager the approval to make that decision. I have spoken with some very high up people who have stated in confidence that a policy for or against firearms on a coperate level will never happen.

    I hope that OC'ing will continue in Wal-marts accross the country. The more expousure to Firearms and the more questions asked will result in people becoming more welcoming of firearms in public





    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    so they don't have a policy? cause Gunnison wal-mart asked me to leave, and said it was wal-mart policy, but she wasn't even a head manager.And the one in Salida doesn't even care so far.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    The policy for Wal-Mart is to put it in the hands of The District Manager
    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  18. #18
    Regular Member AB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ACTIVIST Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Walmart policy is to follow the state that the store is in.

    It has been set by the legal staff at HQ.

    There arestore managers that are ignorant of this policy.

    If they put anything in writing it causes a liability burden.

    It is that simple, anything else is just BS.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    That means that you can't blame other oc'ers when you get kicked out of Wal- Mart AB.
    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  20. #20
    Regular Member AB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ACTIVIST Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    That means that you can't blame other oc'ers when you get kicked out of Wal- Mart AB.
    What are you going to do, dictate what someone does on their own property?

    I guess you just choose what part of the Constitution is important and throw the rest away.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Texas, USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post


    I've never had a problem with display of a holstered weapon in W/M, and I OC probably 1/2 the time that I shop there.Store management has authority here .That is obvious to some - apparently not so obvious to others. Ignorance is manifested when the obvious is ignored.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    albritton77 wrote:
    old dog wrote:
    What would your response have been had he accosted you in the parking lot and asked if you had a driving license?

    People too-readily accede to invasions of privacy. If he is unhappy with you he probably has a virtually unlimited right to ask you to leave.

    However, he doesn't have a right to ask if you have money or a credit card or if you can afford to shop in his store or if you're employed or if you have a record or if you patronize his competitors or . . . hell, you get it.

    One of the things most needed by our people is a major leaving-alone.
    Until open carry becomes legitimately commonplace, we won't be left alone.
    Why?
    Because we (open carry people) are the exception (although perfectly legal) to everyday conduct. Being the exception *to anything* is going to get some sort of attention. We can handle that attention in only two different ways:
    1.) We can get frustrated at the attention we bring upon ourselves, and give ourselves a black eye for our complete lack of patience and understanding towards the rest of society.
    2.) We can start (re)teaching the populous that people who open carry are NOT criminals, that what we are doing is perfectly legal, and should be socially acceptable.

    Personally, I prefer the latter of the two.
    I agree. History has shown that it takes time and patience to change prejudice.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    CJ30-06 wrote:
    this was a couple months ago, but I was in Salida Wal-mart, and there was an off duty cop in there, he had already seen me and done nothing, but some of the people got concerned so he asked me if I had a permit, I semi-chuckled and said that I did not need one for open carry, he asked for my ID and I said he didn't need that either. He then threatened bringing a uniformed, on duty cop there, I told him to go ahead and do that, that kinda surprised him, so I went ahead and gave it to him after he said that people were concerned, I also had told him my reason for open carry; self-defense. He just wrote down my ID numbers and I went on my way, he kept saying it wasn't a good idea to carry in wal-mart, I replied by saying that if anyone did attempt to commit a "shooting", I was not going to be unarmed. This was about the worst I've ever dealt with so far. One other thing, I like that you showed the manager your ccw, but you see, I can't get one yet, I'm 19 and it's perfectly legal for me to open carry, but not conceal until I'm 21 and can get a permit.

    Part of this was your age. Seeing someone so young OC is going to cause some people to be concerned. With me, they just assume I'm a cop. Still, I'd rather be 19...:?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    yeah, but you wanna know what I do when I don't want to be asked ANY quetions? I'm a volunteer firefighter, so I have a radio, when someone sees even a 19 year old, with a beretta 92, and a radio on the other hip, what do you think is the first thing they assume; COP!

  25. #25
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    Another idea that you all might find interesting to "break people in" to OC in a store of any sort is to carry an empty holster for a few trips, go regularly, and be seen and noticed. I have been leaving my weapon in the car and carrying an empty holster, and two loaded 17 round mag's in a mag holster. And have still been mistaken for a LEO. So after a while of carrying without a weapon in holster, I will try with a weapon, and hope that the "breaking in" worked.

    Most people are prone to psycological manipulation by power of suggestion. Read the artical "Raging Against Self Defense"

    http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragi...elfdefense.htm

    In this publication Sarah Thompson shares the "Anti-gun Mentality" and why people are afraid of people with guns. The idea of carrying an empty holster kind of came about from reading this article. In the artical Sarah talk's about all kind's of ways to introduce other's to the idea of another person carrying a gun. She also explains why people are afrade of guns. And before you say "I already know" read the article all the way through. It is important for us in the OC community to understand, and show empathy twards individual's and groups that oppose guns. Here is a snip from "The Power of Empathy section of her article.

    "Using empathy works in several ways. First, it defuses a potentially hostile interaction. Anti-gun people are used to being attacked, not understood, by advocates of gun rights. Instead of an "evil, gun-toting, extremist", you are now a sympathetic, fellow human being. This may also open the door for a friendly conversation, in which you can each discover that your "opponent" is a person with whom you have some things in common. You may even create an opportunity to dispel some of the misinformation about firearms and self-defense that is so prevalent." © 2000, Sarah Thompson

    After Reading this article, I now understand more of why my dad is against me carrying a gun. He either want's to become a victim, or has controle issues.... Probably the latter since he still tries to tell me that i'm wrong on everything and he isn't....

    Anyway Here is a link to the Colorado Department of Law http://www.ago.state.co.us/

    Might be of some help sometime in the future as well.

    Wolf


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •