• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI budget Committe oks $5 gun-fee increase

GRB

imported post

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/front/topstory07.asp

MADISON - Background-check fees on handgun purchases would increase less than Gov. Jim Doyle wanted, under a proposal approved by the Legislature's budget committee.
The Joint Finance Committee voted 12-4 Tuesday to increase the fee from $8 to $13. Doyle had wanted to raise it to $30.
The Democratic-controlled Legislature must approve the $5 fee increase before it takes effect.
Republicans criticized it as unfairly taxing people who are legally buying guns.
The state Justice Department does handgun background checks and the FBI does it on long-rifle buyers.
Last year the state received about 47,000 requests for background checks and approved all but about 600 of them.
The $8 fee has not increased since its inception 18 years ago.

Rick Finsta

imported post

Uhhhh... the FBI does checks on all 4473 forms, including handguns. The DCI check is a ******* joke that does nothing but cost us extra money for the redundancy.

Oh, well. At least this "poll tax analog" is only increasing to cover costs for DCI, and not turning into another ATM to fuel Doyle's spending.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
Uhhhh... the FBI does checks on all 4473 forms, including handguns. The DCI check is a @#$%ing joke that does nothing but cost us extra money for the redundancy.

Oh, well. At least this "poll tax analog" is only increasing to cover costs for DCI, and not turning into another ATM to fuel Doyle's spending.

No they do not....;)

WI DOJ does the checks for WI handgun transfers and long guns being transferred at the same time on the same 4473. This is a good thing as we only have a 48 hour waiting period instead of the Brady Bill mandated period which is significantly longer.

Rick Finsta

imported post

After a bit more research, I stand corrected. I always thought the DOJ check took the 48 hours (isn't this the reason the waiting period was instituted? Perhaps that was just the rhetoric I recall...), and the instant checks were just the DOJ using the FBI's database for a quick lookup. Regardless, it's retarded for us to pay for something that the feds do for free, not even taking into account the fact that a tax on a right is a unconstitutional as it gets. :banghead:

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
Regardless, it's retarded for us to pay for something that the feds do for free, not even taking into account the fact that a tax on a right is a unconstitutional as it gets. :banghead:
TheNICS check is Federally funded through our tax dollars... The State check is not funded through tax dollars. It is bull but worthit to me if I get my handgun72 hours earlier than if we relied on theNICS check.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

The Brady Bill 5 day check expired in 1998. I did not realize this. Some states never adopted their own waiting period, especially those who require some sort of permission slip (purchase form/owner form/ID, etc)to purchase and/or own a handgun. Some do not require await for CCW holders but they do for others.

This puts the WI waiting period in a different light. It would be a battle to get rid of it as people still hold the false belief that a "cooling offperiod" is beneficial. When we get CCW maybe we can dump this also.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Yes the cooling off period is just plain stupid, particularly since you can walk out of a store with a shotgun that is much more powerful than any handgun with no waiting period. If "they" have such a problem with handguns I think, at the very least, if you can show that you already own a handgun, you should not have to wait to take possession of another one.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

What's crazy is that even if youhave a C&R which allows you to walk out the door with a CZ-52 among other handguns and no waiting period, if you purchase a Single Six .22 or other "modern" handguns at the same time, you can't pick it up for 48 hours....:cuss:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So....what's that 13 bucks for?? In-convenience or paying for an unneeded bureaucracy ?:cuss: Sounds like shiny dome Jimcould get rid of some positions duplicating whatFBI provides at no additional charge.