• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I made the opinion page in the local news!

Stoney-Point

imported post

Excellent writing job.

Might I suggest that you send it around to any and all newspapers that are on-line?

I have done so in the past and had it printed from Superior down to Burlington just by sending it to all points in between.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I think its a great piece as its written.

If you do forward it on to other outlets I personally might suggest something a little less abrasive for your closing paragraph. Something that bring's people in, not a hard-line "love it or leave it" kinda closing
If you don't agree, you have rights, guaranteed to you by those very documents that give you some options: You can whine about it, you can try to get the Constitution amended, you can leave, or you can just leave it be. Without our rights a free society cannot exist.

Alternative closing:

All rights are important. As citizens, we should support all our fellow citizens rights not just the rights that we individually chose to exercise. If I support your rights and you support mine, this country will be a better place. Law-abiding citizens who open-carry have the same goal as other law-abiding citizens who chose not to. To be safe and secure in their person from criminals as they go about their business. With the exception of Illinois, every other state in the nation allows their citizens to carry firearms for self-defense and of the millions of people across this country who legally carry firearms every single day and none of the gun myths of bad consequences come to fruition. On the contrary, like the gentleman down in Racine who less than a week after the Attorney Generals memo, fended of 4 attackers with out firing a shot from his sidearm, we will all be safer!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks all for your comments.

hugh jarmis wrote:
I think its a great piece as its written.

If you do forward it on to other outlets I personally might suggest something a little less abrasive for your closing paragraph. Something that bring's people in, not a hard-line "love it or leave it" kinda closing
If you don't agree, you have rights, guaranteed to you by those very documents that give you some options: You can whine about it, you can try to get the Constitution amended, you can leave, or you can just leave it be. Without our rights a free society cannot exist.

Alternative closing:

All rights are important. As citizens, we should support all our fellow citizens rights not just the rights that we individually chose to exercise. If I support your rights and you support mine, this country will be a better place. Law-abiding citizens who open-carry have the same goal as other law-abiding citizens who chose not to. To be safe and secure in their person from criminals as they go about their business. With the exception of Illinois, every other state in the nation allows their citizens to carry firearms for self-defense and of the millions of people across this country who legally carry firearms every single day and none of the gun myths of bad consequences come to fruition. On the contrary, like the gentleman down in Racine who less than a week after the Attorney Generals memo, fended of 4 attackers with out firing a shot from his sidearm, we will all be safer!
I agree that aless abrasive closing may have been better. However; I was limited to 400 words or less. The editor let me slide with 429 or so.:dude:

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Well like I said, your letter was very good as it was written.

When we deal with people, its most effective to NOT trigger the 'defensive reflex'.

Once we trigger the 'defensive reflex' people close their minds and become more concerned about defending themselves than thinking and gaining information. Its kinda like the best way to stop a run-away horse. You don't smack into it head on. You come up along side of it in stride first... THEN you drop the rope over its neck and slowly draw it in the direction you want to go.

Much of the time, the people we deal with in the anti-gun world are not people of logic but people of emotion. Some people so much so, and so entrenched in their thoughts that we willnever appeal to them. Weare probably wasting our time totry. But we should try to appeal to the 'fence sitters'. The people who haven't really formed a deep seeded opinion. Maybe they have no experience with guns, and have a perception that is more based in emotion, media influence etc, but don't really have a hard-core stance.

These are the people we can win over if we come up along side of them first, and then draw them our direction.

Those kinds or people will like the emotional appeal if we can make it. We can use emotion for our benefit. We may not be use to 'debating' like that, as we are about logic and facts, but it still works. Those kinds of people "feel" more than they "analyze" We have to make it "feel" right.

As an example. An emotional thinker will not respond to stuff like: "An armed society is a polite society" Thats totally true, but they can't relate and its too hard to think that through. In fact, it seems contrary. Requires to much analytical thought to make the connection.

Better to appeal to an emotional thinker by saying: "we support open carry so that the single mom who works downtown who has to stay late working overtime for her familyand then walk to her car 5 blocks away at night has the ability to protect herself from thugs"

By making the emotional appeal, you bring the emotional thinker in line with you. They open their mind and become more receptive to logical arguements after you break down the emotional wall.

It didn't make the interview they aired that I did at the picnic monday, but Heather Shannon asked me about the people who were at the picnic and was I suprised at how young some were. I told her "some people want to be champions of their rights. Some people want to socialize and network with other people who believe the same thing they do" "But many people don't want to go to open carry picnics, and they don't want to read laws and be activists. They just want to be able to walk their dog at night with a sidearm for safety. They just want to be able to walk to their car at night and be able to protect themselves if something happens." And I told her that these rights are not about 40 people at a picnic with guns but that we do so, so that others can have their right to go to walk to the store at night and be safe.

Emotional appeals work really well in some circumstances.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
This was a letter to the editor about the two villages preempted gun ordinances.

This was my first published anything so I hope I did all right.

http://www.wiscnews.com/spe/opinion/452684

If it hasn't been said, WELCOME! Glad to see another OC individual.

Congratulations on getting published, I applaud the effort. Anything we can do to get people talking about open carry in a positive way is a good thing!

Glad to have you with us, carry on.

Rick Finsta

imported post

I can boil down what Hugh is saying in seven words:

You are arguing with bumper sticker slogans.

Writing letters to the editor is always difficult, because many of the readers are vapid idiots who have never taken the precious time out of their day to develop a real philosophy. They don't think, they just regurgitate bumper sticker-like rhetoric and they can't properly respond to an argument because they have no understanding of the basis.

How am I supposed to make someone understand the idea of a natural (fundamental) right if they don't understand the last 1000 years of development in human philosophies? How are they going to understand that guns are tools of self defense when they grew up being told that anyone who owns a gun is more likely to be shot with it than to use it in self defense? what am I supposed to do, list the numbers? They simply won't break out of their microcosms and come over to the real world most of the time.

In short, though, I think it's a great letter, and I always like to see them pop up in the local papers. I even write one from time to time...

eleuthera

imported post

very well written my friend.

As for us young people - the OC movement has overwhelming support from everyone I've talked to. I really believe we're poking holes in a dam rightnow, there are A TON of people who would go buy a gun today if they knew cops wouldn't harrass them.

Let's prove it to them :-D

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hugh, I agree with you and I'm glad to have you on our side. Nearly every post written by you on this forum is well thought out and makes complete sense.

Rick Finsta wrote:
How am I supposed to make someone understand the idea of a natural (fundamental) right if they don't understand the last 1000 years of development in human philosophies? How are they going to understand that guns are tools of self defense when they grew up being told that anyone who owns a gun is more likely to be shot with it than to use it in self defense? what am I supposed to do, list the numbers? They simply won't break out of their microcosms and come over to the real world most of the time....
This is EXACTLY the question I grappled with while trying to write the thing. I guess the main reason I ended it the way I did in the article was because I thought thatit was clear that I meant ALL rights. Not onlygun rights. In my head I was thinking "who can argue with that logic". I know that was flawed....:lol:'course something could have been lost in the transition from 749 words to 400 words and back to 429 or so. LOL