• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry 1911

UTOC-45-44

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Hi folks,

I have reason to start carrying a CCW and wanted to look at a small 1911. I know para makes a small LDA pistol in 45. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other small 1911 specifically designed for CC?

I ankle carry my !911 Kimber Pro TLE/RL II 4" Barrel. And ankle carry 2 (for now:lol:) mags on the opposite leg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Colt Officer's 7+1 with no sights and a thick bull barrel. Works real good for concealed carry.

kimber1911

imported post

I am a long time fan of Kimber, and I did dump a grand for a Custom Carry II.

400 rounds later, my biggest complaint is disassembly for cleaning.

I have no experience with other 3" .45acp autos, so take it for what it is worth.

As far as carring a 5" .45, only means on a daily basis you have 2" more inches to cover up.

It is my attitude, when push comes to shove, the extra 2" of barrel lenght doesn't mean squat, if you practice.

Covering a bigger gun everyday, can be done, but I have enough on my mind.

buster81

imported post

kimber1911 wrote:

I have no experience with other 3" .45acp autos, so take it for what it is worth.

As far as carring a 5" .45, only means on a daily basis you have 2" more inches to cover up.

It is my attitude, when push comes to shove, the extra 2" of barrel lenght doesn't mean squat, if you practice.

Thanks for the info. Did you have any failures at all in the first 400? It's been said in this thread, and I've read it elsewhere that the shorties are prone to failure. IIRC, it's due to the shorter geometry in the loading ramp. That is a nice looking Kimber.

What's different about the disassembly procedure?

Alexcabbie

imported post

I think I have spoken sufficiently on my reluctance to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. However I have heard of the LDA (light double action) and am contemplating hunting for one. Proven .45 ACP stoppng power in a proven design with an extra measure of safety?? YOWZAH!! Sez me, but do any you guys have any input on the LDA??

Gordie

imported post

buster81 wrote:
kimber1911 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Did you have any failures at all in the first 400? It's been said in this thread, and I've read it elsewhere that the shorties are prone to failure. IIRC, it's due to the shorter geometry in the loading ramp. That is a nice looking Kimber.

What's different about the disassembly procedure?
I don't know about the shorter geometry of the loading ramp (if you lay my Para Carry on top of my full size Kimber the only difference is the length of the slide and grip), but the only problem that I've encountered is caused by limp wristing.

Gordie

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I think I have spoken sufficiently on my reluctance to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. However I have heard of the LDA (light double action) and am contemplating hunting for one. Proven .45 ACP stoppng power in a proven design with an extra measure of safety?? YOWZAH!! Sez me, but do any you guys have any input on the LDA??
I own a Para Carry, a 3" 1911 with the LDA. The LDA is a VERY light DA trigger. I have had several people say that they were surprised at how easy it is to shoot the LDA, even in a 3" 1911. I have even used it in competition. It wasn't as easy as with my full size, but I was able to hold my own.I highly recommend that you find a Para with the LDA and try it out, especially if you have reservations aboutcarrying cocked and locked.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's my carry piece. The lightweight frame is really a nice touch.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/tactical/tactical_custom_II/

tactical_custom_II.jpg

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Buster I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II with a3" barrel. I had quite a few FTF's int he first 500rnds. But Kimber recommends a break in period of 500rnds for their guns. Once I put about that many through mine it has worked flawlesly.

I also have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II with a 4" barrel. I only had a couple of FTF's in the 500rnd break in.

Both guns conceal well, but the pro carry is easier for me to shoot accuratly and with one hand ( might be just me though). Hope this helps.

P.S. I would not trade my Kimbers for anything.:celebrate

Alexcabbie

imported post

There is a guy at the corner pub and whenever I talk to him the converstaion ends with us yelling (him) KIMBER! (me) WALTHER! Almost like Frankenberry and Count Chocula in the old commercials.

Boy that would have made for a great McCain/Obama debate. Just them yelling "Frankenberry!'....."Count Chocula!"...... And made just about as much sense. In the cereal world as in the real world, Count Chocula won. But I digress.....

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I should add that I replaced the standard Kimber mags woth Wilson Combat 8rd mags. I use model 47D, you can find them here.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines.asp

I also just changed my carry ammo from Federal 185 grain Hydra-Shoks to Hornady TAP 230 grain +P. I wanted a bigger round and the +P is always nice. Check them out here.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=f2052c19978003cb6085adead52ee5b6

I did have a few FTL's and FTE's but once I passed the break-in period it worked like a dream. Walther makes some nice smaller peices but for a full size pistol I'll take my Kimber over anything.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

There is an interesting article here about one man's take on what can be done to a 1911 to make it more concealable. I particularily like his bobtail mod.

I know I won't convert anybody, but cocked and locked is how a 1911 was designed to be carried. If you Google on it, you'll find hundreds of thousands of hits; the "for" side sometimes explaining
John Browning's design and the "against" side saying stuff like "I don't like the thought of it", or, "It scares me!"

One of the best quotes you'll run across is from a crusty old Texas Ranger, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, when some citizen looked at him carrying cocked and locked and said with a wide-eyed look, "That looks dangerous!" His answer was, "Ma'am, if it wasn't dangerous I wouldn't carry it...."

Dave

reconvic

imported post

My Sig 220 carry is my 2nd choice for carrying concealed .It depends on your built I am all of 155, at 5'8'' and can conceal a weapon very well. I have been carrying for many years and have never been questions even if I had a weapon on me or not.
S/F Vic

.45acp

imported post

Hi Buster81,

I have and carry a Kimber Ultra CDP (3” BBL) that I bought in 1999. Since that time it has preformed flawlessly in the accuracy, feeding and ejecting departments. It feeds everything fed to it (including semi wadcutters) I shoot 230 gr.Hydro Shocks. IMHO shoot 230's they just work. Recoil is a little sharper than a full frame 1911, but is certainly manageable. I use Wilson mags also.

So far the gun has around 9000 rounds through without any issues.

This little pistol literally disappears with a good holster (I use a Mitch Rosen). Light weight and very comfortable to carry all day.

I hope this helps,

Steve

davesnothere

imported post

I live in AZ, so while many would think there is no reason to be on the OC forum and want to CC as well, there are many reasons to get a CCW, including for travel issues, and for reciprocity situations.

Oh, and the changes to the Arizona Restaurant Carry rules. Since I don't drink anyway, the new law opens a lot of establishments to my access.

Anyway....

I'm looking for a good IWB holster for hip to mid-back IWB carry of a full frame M1911A1. At the moment I'm considering the Supertuck. I've looked at Thunderwear, Belly Band, and other holsters in this area but I'm not sure about those.

I usually wear fitting business casual clothes M-F, and on the weekends I'm in shorts and T-Shirts, so I need something that is going to stay put, and keep my weapon and I from having an accidental display. Anyone have any experience with Supertuck that can offer feedback?

reconvic

imported post

When you are looking for a CCW holster, buy one that hides your weapon on your built everyone is different. I have had mine all custom made to tell the truth.
S/F Vic

gb8106

imported post

I carry a Kimber tactical ultra 2. Its small compact .45 cal and extremely accurate. I am a Kimber fan, wich does make me a little biased on the Kimber hand gun line. However I have personally carried this particular handgun for about 2 years now and love it. Not to say the springfield, or other like 1911 style hands guns arent great firearms just my personal preference.

Pat-inCO

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Hi folks,

I have reason to start carrying a CCW and wanted to look at a small 1911. I know para makes a small LDA pistol in 45. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other small 1911 specifically designed for CC?

Yes. I have all three sizes of 1911.
One consideration:
- A 4" 1911 will produce about 100 fps below a 5" 1911 (I have tested multiple loads and this is a representative average).
- A 3" 1911 will produce about 90 fps below a 4"

In round numbers, a 3" will produce about 200 fps slower than a 5". If that doesn't bother you
(an 800 fps load is then R E A L L Y slow) then a 3" will be fine.

The increase in muzzle flip is noticeable (3" to 5") but is not unmanageable. Like one of the previous posters, I would suggest a 4", but in a bob tail. The bob tail offsets the difference in frame height (or you could get a compact) for concealability.

My preference is to have the 3" as a back up.