Thread: Shoulder Holster

Post imported post

I am a first timer on this site. I have just gotten out of the military (Wisconsin National Guard - Military Police Officer) So I am a big supporter of OC/CC and individual rights.There are a lot of great topics on this site, as well as plenty of people who really know their ****.

Granted, militarylaws are WAY different than let's say Milwaukee, I have a question about O/C. Would carrying a handgun in a shoulder holster be ok.... or would that be perceived as partially concealed considering your arm and body are pretty much sandwiching your weapon?

Thanks!

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

My on opinion, and that's exactly what it is, is that it would be considered partially concealed. Your best bet is a holster somewhere on you belt, outside of your pants. You could go with a thigh rig as well but i prefer a hip holster.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Mackattackmp21,

Welcome, and thank you for your service. I am a former USAF LEO, and remember military law not allowing CC / OC on base ("post" for you army types).

Regarding Wisconsin law, http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0941.pdf (specifically 941.23) covers carrying a concealed weapon. I do not believe a shoulder holster would be considered "concealed" even though your arm covers the firearm. There are many on this site, however, who are better versed in the law than I.

My personal recommendation would be a belt holster. This would be less obtrusive than a shoulder holster.

I invite you to read others' experiences OCing in various parts of SE Wisconsin. There are also other threads concerning laws / statutes you need to follow. Please familiarize yourself with school zones in your area, and the proper procedures to transport your firearm.

Let us know where you OC and how it goes.

Post imported post

Thank you for the warm welcome to the environment. I have studied up on my local/state lawsinvolving open carry, as a former LEO, though military, it's important to get a background on any situation before you put yourself on the line.

I am very interested inattending and supporting events that go down in Milwaukee forO/C and other places in the state. (given enough notice). I will be out of town for businessfrom May 31-Jun5th.But if you don't mind keeping me in the loop on events, I look forward to meeting you andany supporters of the O/C cause.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I spoke with the Wisconsin AG's office twice today trying to get this very question cleared up. I stated, in the little research I have done, that in states opposite ours (we allow OC only) states that allow CC only it's my understanding that most of em state that if any part of the gun is showing it's no longer considered concealed. AG's office says exact opposite is true here, if any part of the gun is covered it is considered concealed. State case law going back to the 30's support this, he says (wouldn't give me examples).

I specifically asked about IWB holsters being only 1/3 of the pistol and none of the holster is exposed. Apparently its a big no no In Wisconsin. I asked about OWB holsters and he claims that depending on the mood of the LEO and DA I could charged and prosecuted for CC but he figures DA's are to busy to go after such a gray area.

Glad I got that all cleared up with the state.

Post imported post

There's so much clean-up work to be done with the laws and ridiculous conflicting court opinions in this state that it isn't funny......
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"