• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Holster

MackattackMP21

imported post

I am a first timer on this site. I have just gotten out of the military (Wisconsin National Guard - Military Police Officer) So I am a big supporter of OC/CC and individual rights.There are a lot of great topics on this site, as well as plenty of people who really know their shit.

Granted, militarylaws are WAY different than let's say Milwaukee, I have a question about O/C. Would carrying a handgun in a shoulder holster be ok.... or would that be perceived as partially concealed considering your arm and body are pretty much sandwiching your weapon?

Thanks!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My on opinion, and that's exactly what it is, is that it would be considered partially concealed. Your best bet is a holster somewhere on you belt, outside of your pants. You could go with a thigh rig as well but i prefer a hip holster.

patriotguy

imported post

Mackattackmp21,

Welcome, and thank you for your service. I am a former USAF LEO, and remember military law not allowing CC / OC on base ("post" for you army types).

Regarding Wisconsin law, http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0941.pdf (specifically 941.23) covers carrying a concealed weapon. I do not believe a shoulder holster would be considered "concealed" even though your arm covers the firearm. There are many on this site, however, who are better versed in the law than I.

My personal recommendation would be a belt holster. This would be less obtrusive than a shoulder holster.

I invite you to read others' experiences OCing in various parts of SE Wisconsin. There are also other threads concerning laws / statutes you need to follow. Please familiarize yourself with school zones in your area, and the proper procedures to transport your firearm.

Let us know where you OC and how it goes.

MackattackMP21

imported post

Thank you for the warm welcome to the environment. I have studied up on my local/state lawsinvolving open carry, as a former LEO, though military, it's important to get a background on any situation before you put yourself on the line.

I am very interested inattending and supporting events that go down in Milwaukee forO/C and other places in the state. (given enough notice). I will be out of town for businessfrom May 31-Jun5th.But if you don't mind keeping me in the loop on events, I look forward to meeting you andany supporters of the O/C cause.

Woodchuck

imported post

I spoke with the Wisconsin AG's office twice today trying to get this very question cleared up. I stated, in the little research I have done, that in states opposite ours (we allow OC only) states that allow CC only it's my understanding that most of em state that if any part of the gun is showing it's no longer considered concealed. AG's office says exact opposite is true here, if any part of the gun is covered it is considered concealed. State case law going back to the 30's support this, he says (wouldn't give me examples).

I specifically asked about IWB holsters being only 1/3 of the pistol and none of the holster is exposed. Apparently its a big no no In Wisconsin. I asked about OWB holsters and he claims that depending on the mood of the LEO and DA I could charged and prosecuted for CC but he figures DA's are to busy to go after such a gray area.

Glad I got that all cleared up with the state.:banghead:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

There's so much clean-up work to be done with the laws and ridiculous conflicting court opinions in this state that it isn't funny......