• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orange County OC Meet & Greet, Take 2.

tuna quesadilla

imported post

So any updates? How many RSVPd? I did manage to scrape together my pennies and buy a holster -- a Safariland with retention -- so I'm good to go!

Also, in regards to 626.9: The 1000' rule does not apply to preschools, correct? Because I see a preschool right across the street from Carrow's... And there is also a school that serves grades 8 through 12 that appears to be barely within 1000 of Carrow's. I'm sure you've checked and doublechecked before organizing this event but I'm a little leary of breaking any laws, as this will be my very first time OCing.

demnogis

imported post

626.9 only applies to K-12 schools. Preschools do not count. Also, Carrows is on private property.

Code:
(c) Subdivision (b)  does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private
property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private
property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the
firearm is otherwise lawful.
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section  does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.
(3) When the person possessing the firearm reasonably believes
that he or she is in grave danger because of circumstances forming
the basis of a current restraining order issued by a court against
another person or persons who has or have been found to pose a threat
to his or her life or safety.  This subdivision may not apply when
the circumstances involve a mutual restraining order issued pursuant
to Division 10 (commencing with Section 6200) of the Family Code
absent a factual finding of a specific threat to the person's life or
safety.  Upon a trial for violating subdivision (b), the trier of a
fact shall determine whether the defendant was acting out of a
reasonable belief that he or she was in grave danger.
(4) When the person is exempt from the prohibition against
carrying a concealed firearm pursuant to subdivision (b), (d), (e),
or (h) of Section 12027.
That's just the first part of 626.9. You can understand why this is the bane of law-abiding citizens. Please, if you have not PM'd me to RSVP this event with your e-mail address, now is the time!

tuna quesadilla

imported post

Oh OK, I understand. Thanks! :)

Now this might be a stupid question, but are parking lots considered private property? Say I want to OC in an establishment that's inside a 1000' zone, would it be a 626.9 violation for me to walk from my car into the building while OCing?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

demnogis wrote:
Tuna,
A clear and definitive answer to that question should be coming once Theseus is done with his pending case.
Private property is any real property that is owned by anybody except the "public" (i.e. a government entity). Within each of these private properties there are public places. Generally, a place can be considered a public place if it is open to public access - places like: a parking lot, a restaurant, or your front yard; any place that isn't fenced/walled in and locked up is usually public access.

The vast majority of "gun free school zones" falls upon private property. The statute says nothing about public places (compare the language to 12031), so the legislature obviously did NOT intend for it to apply in all public places.

If the trial court fails to recognize this, I believe Theseus could easily win on appeal. People v Overturf would be an excellent reference.

demnogis

imported post

Attention OC OCers! I will not be attending this event! I will, however, call Carrows ahead of time and ask them 2 hold at least 2 tables or booths for "Orange County OCers".

What I suggest for those attending:
- Bring your voice recorders!!!
- Please someone bring a camera so we can have a few photographs of the event to share.
- Bring at least 3 "Yes, it's legal!" OC Pamphlets with you! The OC flyer is here. The Tri-Fold Pamphlet is here.
- Be prepared to engage in discussion with concerned individuals or families at the restaurant. Especially management! I've only been there once and they were OK with openly carrying.

That's all I can suggest at the moment. I will send out another full round of e-mails tomorrow morning to remind everyone.

Carry on!

tuna quesadilla

imported post

Voice recorder -- Check, I've got my iPhone with a recording app and a little microphone that plugs into it

Camera -- Check, I'll either bring my still camera or my camcorder

Thanks for organizing this demnogis!

tuna quesadilla

imported post

Well, that was a fun little get-together. In all, only three showed up, including myself. We all waited outside for about 20 minutes before deciding we were the only ones that would show up. Everything went pretty smoothly -- Nobody hassled us or even came up to talk to us. The only attention my piece got was from the cashier, who gave it a quick glance while I was paying.

OpenCarry1.jpg

We didn't plan the whole black T-shirt, blue jeans thing :lol:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Well done.

I wouldnt worry too much about the attendance. The first get together I scheduled, five attended and I was the only one visably armed.

While a big turnout draws media and police attention and stirs the debate on a wider scale, developing a cell of open carry enthusiasts who are commited to repetition and frequency will help demystify gunowners and dispell stereotypes. (Though wearing a uniform of a black shirt and blue jeans may create a new one.;))

Keep it up fellas.

demnogis

imported post

The last Orange County event had a 1 (0) count - myself and my girlfriend.

This time was a (3) count. It would have been 4 but I'm an idiot and can't read nor use a calendar.

Next time, I hope that we have at least 8.

Also, I would suggest contacting pullnshoot25 about going to the SD meet.

stuckinchico

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
My girl and I are going to the Appleseed in Sacramento on the 13th and 14th. Got two all black Ruger 10/22s with tech sights and other modifications. Took them to the range last weekend and was shooting groups of three shots inside 1.5" bulls (at 25 yards resting on sandbags). Six minutes of angle with no training, I hope that'll come down to 2 minutes of angle in field positions after the Appleseed folks are done with me.
Easy on the mods!!!!! In a self defense shooting the attorneys will have your weapon examined and seein the mods they will swing it as modified to kill.... I will bit you in the end many cases were lost because of this Thats a huge no no keep the modifications for competition only AND ABSOLUTELY WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT MODIFY THE TRIGGER ON THE WEAPON THAT YOU PLAN ON CARRYING FOR SELF DEFENSE

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This is why I make people RSVP. You'll still have a few flakes, but it will be much better.

And even if there's only 3 of you serious enough to show up... be thankful! I don't think there's an OC activist within 100 miles of me...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

demnogis wrote:
A total of 9 RSVP'd. 3 showed.

I'm curious about Orange County ... :uhoh:
Didn't realize that was with RSVP's... how unusual. Did you call/e-mail the day before to confirm attendance? If not, try that next time. The key is to not ask if they're coming, that gives them a chance to flake out. Instead word it like this:

"Looking forward to seeing you at Carrow's tomorrow at noon. Please let me know if it's just you or if you're bringing guests with you."

coolusername2007

imported post

demnogis wrote:
A total of 9 RSVP'd. 3 showed.

I'm curious about Orange County ... :uhoh:

Still very cool. Let me know the next time you plan an event. I'll show if I can. Then I can take what I learn home to Temecula and try to get things rolling over here. PM me if you want to meet, greet, and carry.