• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Central Sands

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Went to Wisconsin Rapids, WI. (Wood) County. I was carrying the same Glock 9mm that I carriedat the Onalaska, and Milwaukee picnics.

Bought Windshield wipers at "Advanced Auto Parts". Was in the store for 10 minutes or so. Made small talk with the clerk afterwe made the purchase. No one seemed to notice (or care) at all.

Then went to Culver's and ordered a burger basket. Was in there about 35-45 minutes to eat. The clerk who took our order at the counter obviously noticed, but didn't say anything. An elderly lady noticed as I was walking out, but again no comment I could hear.

No questions, no problems, no LEO, no nothing.

I'll try to update this thread as I carry, and invite others to do the same.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Excellent. It certainly is funny how opponents have constantly said the sight of a person wearing a holstered gun will cause panic, disorder, plagues, moral degeneration and a breakdown of the social fabric--- and yet none of that has happened.

Pal

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Went to Wisconsin Rapids, WI. (Wood) County. I was carrying the same Glock 9mm that I carriedat the Onalaska, and Milwaukee picnics.

Bought Windshield wipers at "Advanced Auto Parts". Was in the store for 10 minutes or so. Made small talk with the clerk afterwe made the purchase. No one seemed to notice (or care) at all.

Then went to Culver's and ordered a burger basket. Was in there about 35-45 minutes to eat. The clerk who took our order at the counter obviously noticed, but didn't say anything. An elderly lady noticed as I was walking out, but again no comment I could hear.

Hello, I would like you to try OC in Marathon County for us. I would love to see you do it in Wausau, WI.

Thanks!!!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pal:

First, if it hasn't been said already, WELCOME to the forum. Always glad to have another member.

Second, if you and/or a couple friends would like to meet somewhere, we could all OC together in Wausau. We could go to the store, maybe lunch, or maybe you could organize an OC picnic.

I am willing to work WITH you to help in any way I can.

Feel free to post an OC invite like the Milwaukee guys did, and maybe we'll get a bunch to show.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I need to get down to Wausau for a few things, so I could make the trip.

PAL,
I am kinda confused by your sentence though, Are you insinuating that the Wausau Police wouldarrest or otherwise harasssomeone peacefully carrying a holstered weapon?

junglebob

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

I used to live near Wisconsin Rapids, over 28 years ago. Glad to here you got a good reception. Never saw anyone not a LEO or security guard open carry when I lived in Wisconsin, times have changed. Hopefully we'll get license to carry here in Illinois in a few years. The Illinois Sheriffs Association passed a resolution supporting LTCby unanimous vote of those attending a meeting this year. Expect you Wisconsin folks will probably get LTC before us though.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

LTC? License to carry? Or do you mean provisions to carry concealed?

As long as we have "Chrome-dome" the bald-headed fartofa governor. We will never see concealed carry provisions IMO.
If the Veto override would have passed the last time around, I feel it would have restrictedus more than what we already had, instead of enhancing our abilities to exercise carrying a firearm.

I bet Illinois gets some sort of concealed carry provision before WI does, Although it will be a hacked up goofy provision at best from what I have seen come out of that state. I think I would try to abolish the FOID system first, or let that be the permitting system to carry concealed. I looked at that paperwork, it was less intensive for me to get my resident CCW in FL, than it is to be legal to possess ammunition in IL.

And gee! those uber-restrictive firearm laws have accomplished what?basically they madesure that any law abiding citizen can not defend their self or family against a criminal.

Pal

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I need to get down to Wausau for a few things, so I could make the trip.

PAL,
I am kinda confused by your sentence though, Are you insinuating that the Wausau Police wouldarrest or otherwise harasssomeone peacefully carrying a holstered weapon?
No, that's not what I meant. This is will be the first OC in Marathon County if someone can do it (to break the ice) for us. Wausau is little bit bigger than the other cities in the county.

I will get back to you guys if my friend can go with you on this. I can just be thefollower.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks.

Pal

imported post

I have contacted my friend and he will not be able to do because where he works for. I think we plan to attend the picnic in GB.

Thank you for your time.

junglebob

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
LTC? License to carry? Or do you mean provisions to carry concealed?

As long as we have "Chrome-dome" the bald-headed fartofa governor. We will never see concealed carry provisions IMO.
If the Veto override would have passed the last time around, I feel it would have restrictedus more than what we already had, instead of enhancing our abilities to exercise carrying a firearm.

I bet Illinois gets some sort of concealed carry provision before WI does, Although it will be a hacked up goofy provision at best from what I have seen come out of that state. I think I would try to abolish the FOID system first, or let that be the permitting system to carry concealed. I looked at that paperwork, it was less intensive for me to get my resident CCW in FL, than it is to be legal to possess ammunition in IL.

And gee! those uber-restrictive firearm laws have accomplished what?basically they madesure that any law abiding citizen can not defend their self or family against a criminal.
This year we had a license to carry bill in the legislature HB2257 which did not stipulate that carry needed to be done concealed. If it had passed Illinois would be like Indiana, open carry would be allowed if you had a license to carry. The bill would have allowed home rule communities like Chicago to opt out. Because of that it had a better chance of passage. Unfortunately the NRA opposed it because Chicago could opt out. It is dead for this year I'm afraid.

Will Illinois get license to carry before Wisconsin? I don't know, a lot of Illinois folks think you will get it first.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

junglebob wrote:
Will Illinois get license to carry before Wisconsin? I don't know, a lot of Illinois folks think you will get it first.
Whether Illinois or Wisconsin gets CCW first, hopefully it will contribute to the last remaining state's eventual turnaround shortly afterward. A victory anywhere is a victory everywhere!

Good luck in Illinois!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pal wrote:
I have contacted my friend and he will not be able to do because where he works for. I think we plan to attend the picnic in GB.

Thank you for your time.

Do I understand correctly, that an individual, a citizen of the Great State of Wisconsin, is unable (or fearful) to open carry (on their personal time) because of fear of reprisal from their employer?

Please say it isn't so.....

Pal

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
Pal wrote:

Thank you for your time.

Do I understand correctly, that an individual, a citizen of the Great State of Wisconsin, is unable (or fearful) to open carry (on their personal time) because of fear of reprisal from their employer?

He didn't mention exactly why, but, yes, I think he is fear of reprisal from his employer. He would rather attend a picnic other than OC in town.

Thanks again.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Pal wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
Pal wrote:

Thank you for your time.

He didn't mention exactly why, but, yes, I think he is fear of reprisal from his employer. He would rather attend a picnic other than OC in town.

Thanks again.
Unless that individual was employed by some non-profit anti-gun organization, any retaliation against an employee by an employer for carrying a gun on their own time would almost certainly be a violation of the Wisconsin Fair Employment Law.

Statute:

111.321 Prohibited bases of discrimination. Subject to
ss. 111.33 to 111.36, no employer, labor organization, employment
agency, licensing agency, or other person may engage in any
act of employment discrimination as specified in s. 111.322
against any individual on the basis of age, race, creed, color, disability,
marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, arrest record,
conviction record, military service, or use or nonuse of lawful
products off the employer’s premises during nonworking hours.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I get that there is a great deal of fear out there when it comes to open carry. I know several people who are still afraid to open carry even now.

I REFUSE to be judgemental, as I understand although you/he/we won't loose the job, you also don't want/need the tension.

Having said that, others are working on a "north woods" and Green Bay picnic. I will try to attend both when the time comes and I will welcome especially those who have concerns about carrying were they live/work.

junglebob

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
junglebob wrote:
Whether Illinois or Wisconsin gets CCW first, hopefully it will contribute to the last remaining state's eventual turnaround shortly afterward. A victory anywhere is a victory everywhere!

Good luck in Illinois!
I think as open carry gets more common in Wisconsin the nervousanti-gun folks will start supporting the idea of concealed carry legislation so they will be less likely to see someone open carrying. I think there were a lot of open carry marches in Ohio before they got concealed carry legislation. I share your hope thatCCW legislation passing in one state will help the other, of course we are both close to Indiana which has had license to carry for decades and decades. Both our states seem insulated from the world outside their borders when it comes to firearms carry.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Went into Wal-Mart in Wisconsin Rapids. Went in there to by a few personal items and look for .45 acp. No .45 acp.

Even had one of the clerks come over and ask if she could help me find anything.

In the end, left with the personal items, still need the .45 acp, so if anyone knows where I can find .45 acp in the central sands, please let me know.

Oops, almost forgot to tell you, carrying the entire time. Another non-event shopping. I guess I carry so regularly now, that I don't think of it as anything other than "normal" behavior.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Had my first (kind of an incident)tonight.

I go to Best Buy (Plover), look at recorders again, still don't purchase one. No problem.

Then I go down the road to Wal-Mart(Plover). Go in to sporting goods desk and ask for .45ACP, no luck all out. Guy behind the counter obviously notices the side arm as I am walking up, but other than that, no problem.

Then I go to Farm & Fleet (Stevens Point). The have .45ACP, but only FMJ, not really what I wanted but it was that or nothing, I take two(2) boxes. I have to give them DOB and age at the sporting goods desk, just to get themerchandise sealed in a special plastic bag. Then I carry the merchandise to the checkout, have to show drivers license. I go through all that, and back into the van.

Next stop Dairy Queen(Steven Point) time to eat. I holster up in the parking lot and head into the building. There is a family (grandma, mother, 12-yr-old, 4/5-yr-old. Coming in at the same time. The 12-yr-old is already in the building, the grandma and mother are waiting on the 4-yr-old. Grandma hold the door for me, I say "thank you." As I enter through the entry way and come through the second set of doors, the 12-yr-old notices the firearm and immediately exits the building.

I wait my turn, and then place my order. As I am paying for the order, the 4-yr-old is whining a little and the mother says, "we haven't been waited on yet." I make small talk, as always, and say, "That's OK, I have a little one also and I know how they can get impatient." The grandma says, "We have one here who can't wait to eat, and another out there who won't come in the building. They teach them to be aware of their surroundings, and she noticed you wearing the gun, she won't come in." Mother says, "I told her, it's alright, he's probably a PI or something, but she says she won't come in." Then mother says, "So what do you do?" I answer, "I'm just a computer guy." I finish paying for the order, and go sit down to wait for them to bring the food.

The family orders, the 12-yr-old does not come in. The counter person suggests they could set at one of the outside tables, which they do. As grandma comes by, I ask her if she would mind telling me the age of the young lady who wouldn't come in, she answers "12." I say, "Thank you."

I finish eating and go back up to the counter and order a chocolate shake to go. Out to the van, and head on home.