• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Central Sands

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Wow!

I buy ammo at the Madison Farm and Fleet all the time (when they have it!*) It involves picking it from the shelf and carrying it to the check out. There's no "special plastic bag or showing of ID. Maybe once in a while they ask if it's for a long gun or hand gun. Madison area Walmart's show no consistency in their procedures, even within the same store. Sometimes I'm required to pay for it at the sporting goods checkout, other times they just hand me the boxes and I pay at the storefront checkout. They don't ask ID, but sometimes the "hand gun or long gun" question.

You Dairy Queen episode is interesting. Some good things in there. On the positive side, we have a 12-year old "little Miss Condition Yellow" out their who shows more observational awareness of her surroundings than the average adult. She's maybe a bit hoplophobic-- but maybe not. It could be that she fears strangers with guns more than just guns alone. Sounds like Grandma was at ease with the situation and not assuming "the worse."

*The most recent visit to F&F last week revealed plenty of common rifle and shotgun ammunition on hand-- absolutely NO rimfire ammo, and no hand gun ammo with the exception of a few boxes of cowboy action load .45 Colt-- of which I purchased a box for Glock Girl's Winchester '94. Stopped at Dick's (Madison east side location) yesterday and found limited handgun ammo on the shelf with a "3 box" limit on any one caliber. There was American brand 9mm, Wolf .40 and I think 9mm, lots of .44 mag, some .380 and higher end .38 special hollowpoints-- Federal, if I remember correctly. There might have been some .357 magnum too, but since that's one of the few calibers I haven't had much trouble finding, I'm already well-stocked for current needs.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Go into BestBuy tonight. Within five minutes, I am approched by a manager and a second employee. He asks if I am law enforcement. When I say no, he tells me they have a policy and could I leave the firearm in the car in the future. I told him I wasn't aware of that, and then politely left.

Guess I went there one too many times, and guess I won't be returning.

Elysium

imported post

Please let me know of any open carry events in the Wausau area. Lets get something started.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Went to the SubWay by the corner ofbusiness 51 and highway B in Plover for dinner last night. There was a pizza hut employee there ordering subs (still working that out in my mind).

Anyway, the pizza guy noticed the firearm right off, but it didn't look like anyone else did. No comment, no fuss, no nothing.

Carry On

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Culver's on Highway - 10, Stevens Pointfor dinner tonight. Big non event.

Then went to Target also on Highway 10. I was asked by two different target employees, two different places in the store,if I needed help finding anything.

Bought some personal items, and then home.

This post reads more like a Culver's / Target commercial than an open carry post, as it should be.

Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I took shotguns advise, and stopped eating:lol:

Ate at a local bar/grill. Then went to Kohl's (9:30PM) with my mother to by some clothes. We are being helped by the store clerk for five to ten minutes, when she all of a sudden goes, "is that a REAL gun?" I said yes. She goes, "are you an officer or security guard?" I said, "No, computer guy." She then say, "Well you have a permit for that then." I explained to her that Wisconsin does not have, nor does it require a permit of any kind. One simply needs to be over 18, and have no domestic or felony issues. I added that I am one of several hundred volunteers throughout the state working to educate the public on the legality of OC.

She went right on helping us, we made our purchase and headed home. No problem.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at the end of the shift though...

Carry On

edit: grammar

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McDonalds at the corner of 51 and 54 in Plover. Ordered, ate, then ordered to go. Had more issues with carrying the drinks and the food out than carrying the firearm.

No issues, Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Monday, July 27, 2009.

Walgreens in Wisconsin Rapids (8th st.). Went in, went to the back, and asked the pharmacist where to find something for "sun burn" (don't ask). Anyway, grabbed the stuff she recommended, walked back to the front, and made the purchase.

Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McDonalds, Nekoosa, WI (Wood County).

Waited in line to order, ordered, sat down and ate. No looks, comments, or issues.

Carry On.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

August 3

Returned to Best Buy with letter in hand. Purchased what I went there to get. Everybody was polite and courteous. I will continue to shop at Best Buy as before the incident.

No issues at all.

Carry On

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

K-Mart on Business - 51 and then on to Perkins for dinner.

Totally uneventful.

Carry On.

Edit:

I have also resolved the issues with the Plover Wal-Mart. I have returned there several times since, even got a SubWay sandwich. No issues.

Agent1187

imported post

I was getting worried that I would come back to Point to find "No Guns" posted on half the places I frequent. Good to see that it was just hypercritical employees. I suppose that means I can start adding to this thread now that I'm back in this area. Thanks for carrying on BNH!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC'd in WalMart, BestBuy, KMart, Perkins, Hardees, Fleet Farm, KWikTrip, and Menards, all within the last week or so.

No issues in any of them.

Carry on

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC'd in Fleet Farm the other night. Ran into one of my adult Hunter Education students. Had a good conversation, several people walked by.

Than on to Mc Donalds (fast food is gonna get me yet).

No issues.

Carry on