• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took a visit to the Ft. Lee POW range yesterday

mercutio545

imported post

Since the range just started being available on Wednesday evenings (saw it on the VCDL alert ;)), I thought I'd give it a go. It was superb. Only took 30 mins from downtown Richmond. You bring your own eyes, ears, and ammo. They sell targets there if you want them.

Like the VCDL alert said, it was a ghost town. Only 3-4 other people there. It's open to the public (don't have to be military or a dependant), 5 bucks per hour, pretty good deal if you ask me. The range officer is very professional and knows his stuff. Definitely keeps it safe. They need to rebuild the berm before they allow centerfire rifles, but they said they put the work order in, so it may be possible in the near future. However, if they don't get any new shooters, then the Army isn't going to spend any more money on building it up. So go shoot there! :D

TexasNative

imported post

On the chance that you weren't just making a joke but left off the smiley, POW = Privately Owned Weapon.

~ Boyd

spitfyr

imported post

Took a ride down to this place today after seeing the VCDL email several weeks ago. And it was a fantastic experience, I will definitely go back. The staff was kind and polite but very serious about safety, which is the way it should be. The facility itself is clean and well kept. Hopefully it will stay open indefinitely because it is a great alternative to the indoor ranges around here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Will definitely have to go back now that they have reopened.

Used to shoot there 2-3 times a month when my grouchy friend ran the operation - just kidding. :)

Sure hope the long gun side gets fixed - still haven't shot my new black one.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

I went yesterday. It was nice. It was cool be outside and it was very cheap $5/hour w/ no membership fee. The downside for me (first outdoor experience) was that you have to retrieve your targets which means that for each hour you are there you only get to shoot for about 45 minutes because they have to cease fire every so often.

2a4all

imported post

spitfyr wrote:
Took a ride down to this place today after seeing the VCDL email several weeks ago. And it was a fantastic experience, I will definitely go back. The staff was kind and polite but very serious about safety, which is the way it should be. The facility itself is clean and well kept. Hopefully it will stay open indefinitely because it is a great alternative to the indoor ranges around here.
Sounds great. Could you provide directions? (Like from I95 or 460?)

Thanks.

spitfyr

imported post

I95 to exit 54 (Colonial Heights/Temple Ave/SR 144), bear right (east) on Temple toward Fort Lee, go a few miles (past South Park Mall on your right), speed limit goes up to 55, soon you will want to take a left at the stoplight onto River Rd, cross traintracks, quick right at the big "Range Control" sign, follow that road to its end, POW range is on your left.

http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2009/05/fort-lee-shooting-range.html

http://leemwr.com/Rec/rec_odr_pow.htm

mercutio545

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Will definitely have to go back now that they have reopened.

Used to shoot there 2-3 times a month when my grouchy friend ran the operation - just kidding. :)

Sure hope the long gun side gets fixed - still haven't shot my new black one.

Yata hey
+1 on that. I need to shoot my new FAL one of these days :cool:

When I was there last Wednesday, it looked as if there was fresh dirt on the berm, but it wasn't packed in.