• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I sure miss the old days

MadDogElmo

imported post

I know thismight beslightly off the subject but it sure points out
how things have changed...
Thirty years ago I had a pickup truck with an extended cab
I had mounted a gun rack right below the window and carried a 22 rifle
and a fishing pole in it..
I was pulled over for speeding and as I handedover mylicense to the Cop
I pointed out to him that I had a rifle behind my seat...
He took one look and all he said was..........
" Ok don't shoot me in the back"he then turned andwalked back to his patrol carand wrote outthe ticket
Nothing more was eversaid about it..........

Like I said things sure have changed.........

When I was in 7th grade ( 1967 )a friend of mine worked all summer in an Eastern Or. Hayfield and saved
up his money for a Remington 700 bdl..
When school started thatwinter he brought it and half a dozen rounds in for show & tell..
The teachers didn't evacuate the school or call the police , he justgave his report about his newpride & joy
then took it to the principles office for safe keeping, after school he picked it up , threw it over
his shoulder and walked home with it.............
I sure miss the old days.......................

Fred Kenpo

imported post

MadDogElmo wrote:
I sure miss the old days.......................

Let's not get too nostalgic. In the old days, it was almost universally prohibited from carrying a handgun concealed, there were vague and contradictory laws (I know there still are, but nothing compared to say, Ohio's absolute prohibition on carrying concealed which allowed you to concealed carry if you were "engaged in an occupation that would justify a prudent man in going armed.") In California, after the Black Panther Party's protest, open carry was restricted unless the gun was unloaded; in the '60's in California I brought a speaker to campus--he had a perfectly legal unregistered gun, and the campus police were in hysterics. In Oregon, there may have been some good old boy practices, especially here in the backwoods of Southern Oregon, but that's still there but now we're legal.

School hysteria? I make my living off of that, as I offer support to homeschoolers.

bigboar

imported post

I went to high school in Northern California and for shop we had a gunsmithing class and a sportcraft class. We built Black Powder kits, rebarreled and blued rifles, and made knives. The guns we carried in gun racks or on the bus, just about every boy had a buck knife on his belt(fashion accessory). No one shot or stabbed anyone or even thought about it. Today a kid with a gun or knife would be grounds for calling the National Guard. Different times.