• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Data show drop in Beach crime, increase in police assaults

vbnative73

imported post

http://tinyurl.com/qngf9r

Data show drop in Beach crime, increase in police assaults

By Paul White
The Virginian-Pilot
© May 28, 2009
VIRGINIA BEACH

Virginia Beach was a safer city last year - unless you were a police officer.

The city's crime rate inched down to 31.8 crimes per 1,000 residents in 2008, the lowest figure since 1967, according to the police department's annual report released Wednesday.

But the 2008 figures also included 140 assaults against Virginia Beach police officers, 28 more than the previous year and the highest figure in at least 10 years.

"You see it across the nation. Unfortunately, people today are not hesitant about putting their hands on a police officer," Deputy Chief James Cervera said.

Or sometimes their whole body. Cervera cited a recent example of an officer whose arrest attempt was interrupted when the subject's girlfriend flung herself on the officer's back.

"It took three officers to get her off of him," Cervera said. "In the process, one of the officers was injured and will probably be out of work three months."

Many of the city's other 2008 crime statistics were much more encouraging. The 31.8 figure is a slight improvement over the 32.3 crimes per thousand residents in 2007.

Violent crimes decreased by 5.3 percent, homicides decreased by 6.2 percent, and aggravated assaults decreased by 1.4 percent.

Meanwhile, the number of rapes tumbled 33 percent from 107 in 2007 to 69 - the lowest figure since 1979.

Cervera credited a public better educated on personal safety as one of the keys to fewer rapes. But he cautioned that this is only the second straight year the figure has gone down.

"This doesn't mean it's a trend yet," he said. "If a crime statistic is going to be a trend, give it 3-5 years."

This means the increase on police officer assaults shouldn't be considered a trend, either, as it, too, has only increased the past two years. Furthermore, Cervera said the assaults against officers should be viewed in the context of the thousands of arrests and tens of thousands of tickets issued each year.

"It's just part of the nature of what we do, and part of the reason not everybody wants to be a cop," he said.

Paul White, (757) 418-1447, paul.white@pilotonline.com

I posted a comment whic hasn't been "approved" yet. We'll see...

In case it doesn't, my comment reads as follows:

BETTER COPS IN VA BEACH

This comment is awaiting staff approval.

Submitted by xxxxxxxxxxxon Thu, 05/28/2009 at 2:42 am.

Beach cops go after criminals. Norfolk cops go after law-abiding citizens. And because of that, crime at the beach is going down and crime in Norfolk is going up. Sure, beach cops are getting roughed up a bit more. That's because they're dealing with criminals. Norfolk cops aren't getting roughed up like that because they're dealing with law-abiding citizens. I walked the length of the boardwalk on Memorial Day weekend open-carrying a holstered handgun. Nobody said a word to me. Try that at Harborfest and you get arrested and physically abused. We're talking about doing something that is 100% lawful. Again ... beach cops go after criminals and Norfolk cops go after law-abiding citizens.