• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Old Shooting Practice June 14th

oldkim

imported post

Good Old Shooting Practice

What:
Do the things you can't do at a normal range:
Draw from your holster, shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, double taps and more. This is not a competition. This is solely practice for those that do choose to carry (openly or concealed).

Yes, we'll have a BBQ too!

When:
Sunday, June 14th

Time: 9:30am - 2 pm

Check in with me at 9:15 but no later than 9:45 I am very punctual and if you are not on the range by 9:45 you cannot shoot. Please keep in mind you will have to pay and sign-in so give yourself plenty of time especially if you have never shot at this range. Rain or shine.

Where:
Renton Fish and Game Club
(http://www.rfgc.org)
Open to the public - you do not need to be a member. Must be a concealed pistol license (CPL) holder. Have a good level of proficiency with your carry gun - meaning you can hit the side of the barn in front of you.

Deadline to register:
Thursday, June 11th
by 5pm No late entry or same day shooters meaning No Walk-on shooters

How much:
Cost for you will be $25 for non members
and $5 for members - to cover only target and facility charges. No money is allocated to the instructors as this is strictly done on a volunteer range/safety officer basis. So, the people running the range are all non-paid volunteers. Membership to Renton Fish and Game Club is available onsite. For non-members this fee will allow you to shoot at the rifle and pistol range all day too!

Why:
This is to get the right mindframe for this type of practice. We are not fast draw nor is this a competition. We will guide and ensure the safety of all shooters as best as possible.

There are not many opportunities to practice from your concealed holster in the US (let alone in Washington), unless you join a high priced indoor range or travel to the hills for a few hours drive or compete.

My proposal has been to use the RFGC’s Action Bays to shoot steel plates and targets using your concealed holster and also on the move. Shoot as rapidly as you want and can safely handle. No full auto guns – thanks.

I want to develop practice training opportunities for CPL (concealed pistol license) holders and expose members of RFGC to a side of shooting many do not get to experience. Sure you can do this at an IDPA or USPSA (ISPC) match, but that's in front of a whole group of folks in a competition level. I wanted to present a fun user friendly environment for people to practice and possibly become interested in shooting IDPA or USPSA.

Safety First, then it's all good after that.

For non CPL (members or non members): Please be aware that this is a Cold Range (basically, don't have a loaded gun). Bring your gun in a case or holster (empty: no magazine or round in chamber). Absolutely no gun handling except on the firing line and in a Designated Safety Area. If you are seen handling your firearm behind others you will be asked to leave.
Violation of Rule #1 - failure to treat the gun with proper mindset.

Other things:
Safety First
I'm hoping this is a start of something fun for everyone. I really don't want to make it our last. Please be mindful that we need to be safe at all times.
1) Treat your Gun as it's always loaded, do not handle unless you are up to shoot DO NOT HANDLE YOUR GUN
2) Muzzle - only point downrange
3) No finger on trigger unless you are shooting

Pistol or revolver - ANY pistol caliber is fine. I'm not biased so bring what you have so long as you can shoot it safely. Yes, that means a .22 is okay. Please do have a good holster that can withstand multiple re-holstering. A flimsy holster may be unsafe. Holster is not required but recommended - you will just have to case and uncase on the firing line.

Ammo
Please NO armour piercing or tracers, explosive rounds, etc. Good Hollow points or FMJ are fine. Frangiles are recommend but not required. Please stock up and bring lots of ammo.

I strongly recommend at least 300 rounds +

You can always shoot it another day. You can also buy some at the range too.

Targets
No Targets Needed. We'll use the stands for IDPA and get a IDPA targets to shoot at. You do not need any targets.

Distances of targets
The IDPA targets will be from 5 ft to 30 ft and steel plates will be out to about 30-50 ft (for safety).

Steel Plates
Round steel plates used for cowboy action - makes a great sound when you hit them.

HOW:
You must contact me
with your email and contact phone number. I'll confirm and send you more details of the shoot.

email me at oldkim@aol.com

Young Kim,
NRA Certified Instructor (pistol), NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Life Member
RFGC and IDPA member[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]

[/font]

krazichinaman

imported post

This sounds like a lot of fun! I had a blast when I was invited to participate in an IDPA match for being the head of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus for UW-Seattle.

I might have to do this...:banghead:

oldkim

imported post

For those that do not have a concealed pistol license - there is hope.

So, that is a good question - can you come without a CPL?

For me I use the CPL for many reasons.

1) The top reason is for safety. I know by you having a CPL you have undergone a background check by the PD.
2) The main reason for this practice is for those that have chosen to take on the responsibilities knowingly or not of what it can be by carrying a gun - I want to encourage folks to carry and get used to it more and more - what better way than to practice with your gear.
3) You should have carry gear - holster and maybe a mag pouch and most likely have practice your draw at home (of course, with safety in mind).
4) You have "vested" time and money to get your CPL

The other reason is I wanted to offer an experience to RFGC members something you don't get to do everyday. Draw from your holster, shoot on the move and just have some fun like the good old days.

So, I'm not so closed minded. You can circumvent my rule of CPL by:
A) Joining Renton Fish and Game Club
B) by showing me your gun purchase papers with your name and serial number - since you also do have to go through a check to get your gun.

What I do want to avoid is a new shooter that is not proficient enough to handle their firearm. When I have 30 guys waiting it's not the time to do a one to one instruction course on how to shoot. Pointers and recommendations... Yes, but I don't have all day to spend and I don't think those 30 guys want to wait either.

If you decide to join Renton Fish and Game Club - think of it as I'm giving you a $20 discount on the membership - all you pay for the shoot is $5. Yes, you can join the same morning but do come early so you can fill out the paperwork. Membership is $100 per year with a one time $30 Initiation Fee.

FYI: if your interested in what people have said about the shoots I oversee you can do a search here or at the following forums too:
TheFiringLine.com
OpenCarry.org
Northwestfirearms.com
SigForum.com
Seattleguns.org

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Life Member, NRA Range Safety Officer
RFGC and IDPA Member

"Shoot Safely, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport"

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

I want so much to be a part of this, but I have obligations that weekend I just cannot get out of.

Maybe if we had another one in July and August, I could attend.

Yay to tactical training.
azn.gif

oldkim

imported post

Just to let you know I'm getting married so it may be a long time before I can do another one.

This might be it for a while unless I can find someone else to take over.

Mad Pick

imported post

oldkim wrote:
Just to let you know I'm getting married so it may be a long time before I can do another one.

This might be it for a while unless I can find someone else to take over.
Uh-oh . . . now that doesn't sound like a good start to the marriage!! :lol:

Congrats, man. See you on Sunday.

RSO1911

imported post

Sounds like a fun time! Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Good thing I joined a high price range although it would be nice to move and shoot.

oldkim

imported post

Ya, keep paying your high price range - too bad you still can't move and shoot. Personally it's too expensive and too far for me.

I'm talking about run and gun. Not some tiptoe shooting. I don't think there is a range (member or not) that will allow alaw abiding citizen"off the street"to shoot this way.

Some memberships will allow you to draw and rapid fire but from a stationary position. Another has "reactive" targets which are nice but it's again mostly stationary.

What we have here is draw, engage, move, engage while moving, reload, engage mulitple targets 3-6 (paper and steel plates) and more reloads. All with concealment andcover when possible. All for $25 or $5 for members.

If you have never engaged a target while moving it's like relearning how to shoot.

Clarification: "Off the street" meaning a concealed pistol license holder or other equivalent requirement.

Ganghater

imported post

Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (KRRC at gunsafety.org) has frequent events and IDPA shoots monthly along with Fun Steel etc. KRRC allows holster draw and double taps from the standard rifle and pistol lines. They are a very safe club and were established on Armistice Day - in operation for over 86 years...

Mr. Marcus Carter RO and club officer got the county to sell some 50 acres to KRRC after the county and state swapped some land. I believe he's looking to expand the rifle line from 200yds to 1000yds. GLOCK comes once a year for fun, gunsmithing and prizes...

KRRC - probably the best range in the West! Thanks Marcus.

oldkim

imported post

Yes, there aremany ranges that have IDPA, USPSA or other PPC shoots. I hear Paul Bunyon does a nice steel plate competition too!

But for shear practice there is no place I can think of. Again this shoot was not set up to be a competition, nor are there any prizes for the best or worst or anything. This is just practice and fun and agood BBQ too!

I do hope the shooters will be comfortable and going to future events... be it IDPA, USPSA or PPC like you mentioned at KRRC. Do know the State Championship for IDPA is held here at Renton Fish and Game.

I've thought of going for the Glock shoots but then I don'thave a Glock.

Mad Pick

imported post

Oldkim, my wife and I and our friends all had a great time today! We learned a lot, and had a hell of a good time . . . and some good hot dogs as well. :D

What a great, non-intimidating way to learn to shoot like that!

oldkim

imported post

After Action Report:

37 shooters, lots of hotdogs and lots of FUN!

From the sounds of it I think a good day was had by all!

We had a blast hosting this event. This has been the 4th practice event ever so it looks like we'll continue. Thanks to Christian and Randy!

All the shooters were great in helping to set up and break down. Lots of brass so the reloaders had a field day when it was all said and done.

The next one? Will keep you posted. Looking at August dates? May have to limit how many shooters.

oldkim

imported post

After Action Report:

We had a blast hosting this event. This has been the 4th practice event ever so it looks like we'll continue. Thanks to Christian and Randy!

All the shooters were great in helping to set up and break down. Lots of brass so the reloaders had a field day when it was all said and done.

The next one? Will keep you posted. Looking at August dates? May have to limit how many shooters.

oldkim

imported post

After Action Report:

Mad Pick

imported post

oldkim wrote:
Lots of brass so the reloaders had a field day when it was all said and done.

Oh . . . you saw that? I spent all evening sorting!!!!

:celebrate

oldkim

imported post

Just to keep it interesting. We're looking at the next shoot for August.

For this practice session we are pondering the idea of a steel challenge. 1 or 2 bays allocated to have 2 shooters go head to head. Each shooter will have a bank of steel plates (6-8), from a low ready each will engage the plates and whichever hits all of them first wins the round. You can challenge your buddies or someone new in the group. It's all for fun.

No Prizes or awards. Just bragging rights. Also we'll have a few bays for some good shooting too!

Will let you know what day we come up with.