• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend or Foe Tool - New URL and Updates

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are now almost 400 businesses reviewed, thanks to the efforts of many of you. Thanks!

I just updated the Friend or Foe Tool with a new, shorter URL and a couple features.

The new URL is http://friendorfoe.us so update any bookmarks you may have. The old URL will redirect if you access it.

Also, the map now fills the page horizontally, and displays up to 250 businesses, as far as 500 miles away. That still doesn't let you see all in VA at once, but the map gets slower the more markers you add, so I didn't want to bog down anyone's browser unexpectedly.

I have a couple more features coming soon.

As always, feedback is welcome/appreciated. Thanks!

TFred

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
There are now almost 400 businesses reviewed, thanks to the efforts of many of you. Thanks!

I just updated the Friend or Foe Tool with a new, shorter URL and a couple features.

The new URL is http://friendorfoe.us so update any bookmarks you may have. The old URL will redirect if you access it.

Also, the map now fills the page horizontally, and displays up to 250 businesses, as far as 500 miles away. That still doesn't let you see all in VA at once, but the map gets slower the more markers you add, so I didn't want to bog down anyone's browser unexpectedly.

I have a couple more features coming soon.

As always, feedback is welcome/appreciated. Thanks!
I just noticed that you can also enter coordinates, in Decimal Degrees format, as long as there is a space after the comma:

38.896886, -77.036562

No gun friendly businesses around that spot though... ;)

Suggestion: add a way to move the point of reference with a mouse action, in addition to typing in a location.

TFred

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks jmelvin!

TFred, that's on the TODO list, along with a statistics page showing the most gun friendly areas of the state/country, and then later once more data is collected, trends showing which parts of the country are heading pro or anti gun.

If enough people use this, it could lead to all sorts of insights about the status of the 2A across the country. It has a lot of potential.

I'm adding business type to the add screen soon, so we can track what types of businesses are more or less gun friendly, etc.

Also, there will be a way to quickly rate a business that's already listed, and a way to search for businesses to see if they've been rated.

rpyne

imported post

Another feature request would be to be able to set the search center by placing a marker on the map or clicking a spot on the map.

TFred

imported post

rpyne wrote:
Another feature request would be to be able to set the search center by placing a marker on the map or clicking a spot on the map.
Said a bit differently, that is what my suggestion would do... ;) He says it's on the TODO list...

:)

TFred