• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to kick out a damn OCer today

TylerEMT

imported post

One of my part time jobs is Loss Prevention at Sears. We have a policy of no guns unless they're in uniform (any uniform is fine by me ;)). I had a guy walk in through tools today with a revolver on his hip, I saw him enter on the cameras, I'm not gina go ask someone to disarm until I'm told to go ask, I obviously could care less. Sure enough the guy in hardware calls and tells me there's a guy with a gun. I tell him I'm right on it and do absolutely nothing for the next 10 minutes. After the 3rd associatecalls me,I decide I'm probably going to get in trouble if I don't go say something to this guy. So I go out and introduce myself to the guy. I'm being as nice as possible and I tell him that our store doesn't allow firearms. He pretty much blows me off and says he doesn't believe I work here and I shouldmind my own business (weare undercover and try to blend in as shoppers). I show him my badge and picture ID and explain to him I do work here and I'm really sorry but he cant have firearms on our property and it is posted. He then tells me thatIf I can't support his 1st amendment rights (I was confused by that one) I should go back to Iraq and goF myself in the A. He left and didn't some back...

It's these kind of people that make it so hard to OC. They make us all look like a bunch of redneck hicks who graduated from the 4th grade in R-Kansus and married our cousin.

I didn't even get a chance to talk guns with him like I do with most everyone who's carrying that comes in. Oh well.

jeremy05

imported post

Thats ashame. Was it a older guy? Not to generalize,but seems the older men tend to take things a lot more personal. Personally I would have just Covered it up, and continued shopping with a " Print " mark. Im asuming OC holsters dont make good CC holsters lol

And if that wasnt good enough, just left and told them I would never be back to shop in there again. Along with a letter to the store.

TylerEMT

imported post

He was in his mid 40s ish I would guess. He just didn't seem very well educated, and made himself look like an idiot. He assumed justbecause i asked him to disarmI was a bleeding liberal who was scared of his gun. Whichafter talking to him did make me a little nervous he was armed:uhoh:. He definitely wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. But its his right and I support it.:celebrate

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wonder if it would work better to talk guns first for a few moments, and only then gently break it to him that the suits at corporate have decided to ignore the self-defense rights of the un-uniformed.

I'm thinking you could explain away the extra time to any supervisors that this approach helps keep the customer willing to come back, rather than abandon Sears forPenneys.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

TylerEMT wrote:
He then tells me thatIf I can't support his 1st amendment rights (I was confused by that one) I should go back to Iraq and goF myself in the A. He left and didn't some back...

It's these kind of people that make it so hard to OC. They make us all look like a bunch of redneck hicks who graduated from the 4th grade in R-Kansus and married our cousin.

I didn't even get a chance to talk guns with him like I do with most everyone who's carrying that comes in. Oh well.
Articulate, or not, he was right. I couldn't take a job that put me on the other end of an American's rights. You couldn't toss out a mother for bringing her child or a man for wearing a crucifix.

Uncomfortable though it might be, if you told Sears that you couldn't strip an American of his rights, that would start Sears on the right path.

TylerEMT

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Uncomfortable though it might be, if you told Sears that you couldn't strip an American of his rights, that would start Sears on the right path.

We have a form to make a reasonable request to alter something in our job. Its mainly for religious reasons, but I'm sure I could fill it out and say I can't ask someone to disarm because it's their right. I'm 99% sure they would approve that request. But then the task would fall on store management if I was the only one working, and I don' think they'd take the time to talk guns or make the person feel like what their doing is ok.

Its not so much Sears as it is the mall we're located in. Westcor has the policy and could fine a store for going against it. Either we deal with it or we call mall security to come deal with it. I don't want to deal with mall security for something stupid that I can take care of.

Michigander

imported post

If in that situation, I'd say something like "Sir, I'm real sorry to tell you that there is a store rule against open carry. It pisses me off, because I do it too. I can't blame you if you don't want to shop here after this, because this is why I don't spend any money here myself. Please feel free to complain to my boss"

curtm1911

imported post

Put these people in touch with some Real "Loss Prevention Agents, Our Soldiers/Sailors/Marines/,Body Guards, The S,S, of the U.S..............think on this awhile kids.........and all the other Alphabet Agencies.................."The Operative Word In Self Defense Is Self"..............................Are We That Mercenary as TSHTF......Hope not.........yet.......................Soon, hmm

me812

imported post

Years ago, I was in the Arrow Pharmacy in Candler and was in line at the register behind some guy OCing. Anyway, this idiot was making small talk with the clerk (a young lady) about giving a whole bunch of people "reverse abortions." I never did find out what group of people he was talking about. What surprised me was that he was an older man and really should've known better (hell, I was a teenager at the time and would've never done something like that.)

Anyway, it's idiots like this who make the rest of us look bad and get those stupid "no guns" signs put up.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

TylerEMT wrote:
Its not so much Sears as it is the mall we're located in. Westcor has the policy and could fine a store for going against it. Either we deal with it or we call mall security to come deal with it. I don't want to deal with mall security for something stupid that I can take care of.

Say nothing, and don't rat on a fellow American for being one.

People call this a "free country," yet I can't find anywhere that I'm free.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
TylerEMT wrote:

He already said that he ignored a couple of calls from associates. His job is to uphold the property rights of his employer.

TylerEMT deserves no criticism. Perhaps he could have approached the shopper in a way that would have assured a better outcome, but the guy was a jerk, no two ways about it. TylerEMT was representing his employer's policy to the customer...if the customer does not like that, he doesn't have to shop there.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
TylerEMT wrote:

He already said that he ignored a couple of calls from associates. His job is to uphold the property rights of his employer.

TylerEMT deserves no criticism. Perhaps he could have approached the shopper in a way that would have assured a better outcome, but the guy was a jerk, no two ways about it. TylerEMT was representing his employer's policy to the customer...if the customer does not like that, he doesn't have to shop there.
Carrying is a fundamental right, for which discrimination is no more tolerated than being a Christian or homosexual.

Would he throw out a person wearing a crucifix? Would he dare throw out an openly homosexual couple?

American Rattlesnake

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Carrying is a fundamental right, for which discrimination is no more tolerated than being a Christian or homosexual.

Would he throw out a person wearing a crucifix? Would he dare throw out an openly homosexual couple?
I'm not saying the company should throw people out for carrying guns. I would personally much prefer that they didn't. But the company certainly has the right to refuse service. Rights cut both ways. I have no right to shop in their store. If they don't want to serve me because I'm carrying a firearm to protect myself, I will respect that and I will spend my money elsewhere. In this way my rights do not conflict with their rights and their rights do not conflict with mine.

me812

imported post

I'm not saying the company should throw people out for carrying guns. I would personally much prefer that they didn't. But the company certainly has the right to refuse service.

We're talking about an incorporated business, here. I maintain that corporations have no rights, despite what those self-important fools on the Supreme Court say.

In any case, TylerEMT certainly cannot be faulted just for doing his job. After all, he tried to be as polite as possible with the guy and was actually cutting him a break. Since the bonehead was technically trespassing (the property is posted), he could have called the cops and had him cited and permanently kicked off the property.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

me812 wrote:
I'm not saying the company should throw people out for carrying guns. I would personally much prefer that they didn't. But the company certainly has the right to refuse service.

We're talking about an incorporated business, here. I maintain that corporations have no rights...
Interesting...why is that? Ultimately, it is people who own the business or corporation...and those people have property rights.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
me812 wrote:

We're talking about an incorporated business, here. I maintain that corporations have no rights...
Interesting...why is that? Ultimately, it is people who own the business or corporation...and those people have property rights.
Corporations, like governments, are legal fictions.

me812

imported post

Ultimately, it is people who own the business or corporation...and those people have property rights.

A corporation is nothing more than a person or group of people who have petitioned the government (i.e. we the people) for certain special rights and privileges. When we the people grant those special rights and privileges, we have every right to stipulate that in return, we have the right to regulate that corporation for the public good. If you own a business and don't like these rules, then don't incorporate. In that case, I'll support your right to kick anyone off your property that you want for any reason.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

me812 wrote:
Ultimately, it is people who own the business or corporation...and those people have property rights.

A corporation is nothing more than a person or group of people who have petitioned the government (i.e. we the people) for certain special rights and privileges. When we the people grant those special rights and privileges, we have every right to stipulate that in return, we have the right to regulate that corporation for the public good. If you own a business and don't like these rules, then don't incorporate. In that case, I'll support your right to kick anyone off your property that you want for any reason.
I see what you're saying.