Thread: TX Guns-on-campus bill debated but unlikely to be approved

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

“I am opposed to guns on campus,” Rallo said. “After 27 years in the military, I don’t feel qualified to use one — particularly in a campus situation. I don’t think students would qualify to use one if a situation came up.”

27 years in the military and he doesn't feel qualified? does he panic when a LEO walks around with one then?

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    27 years in the military and he doesn't feel qualified?
    C'mon, it's San Angelo, so he's probably in the Air Force and speaking the truth: he's not qualified.

Post imported post

And yet 3 and 1/2 years of Infantry, I'm 100% comfortable with carrying.

Post imported post

Did the session end today? Are they going to extend it?

Post imported post

They can't extend it. The governor can call a special session (or as many special sessions as he wants), but each special session can only deal with the subject for which they're called.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

at least it will be very difficult for any idiot to try to blame the 'open carry goon squad' for their bill not getting passed.

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    at least it will be very difficult for any idiot to try to blame the 'open carry goon squad' for their bill not getting passed.
    *cough* well every person on the forum was hoping their bill wouldn't pass either way.

They should've worked more on helping the open carry bill instead of their campus carry bill. The only wanted to push for the college carry bill since the kids, will only be in college for a limited time. Oh well.

Let's hope to the next legislative session open carry will come around.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

So, despite no actual attempt to pass open carry, the "insiders" didn't get anywhere with campus carry or parking lot protection.

Strangely, campus carry's failure really had more to do with Voter ID: it was one of the last bills to come out of committee, and the Democrats opposed to the voter ID bill loaded up the calendar committee so that campus carry never made it to a vote.

There are some administrative changes to the CHL law. They're good changes, but nothing to crow about.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCH...92&t=25293

Post imported post

After all that......Now it'll be 2 years won't it?

Post imported post

forever_frost wrote:
    After all that......Now it'll be 2 years won't it?
    More than likely. Perry has said he's calling a special session, but hasn't announced the subject. Probably just to deal with funding state agencies.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    DKSuddeth wrote:
    *cough* well every person on the forum was hoping their bill wouldn't pass either way.

They should've worked more on helping the open carry bill instead of their campus carry bill. The only wanted to push for the college carry bill since the kids, will only be in college for a limited time. Oh well.

Let's hope to the next legislative session open carry will come around.
    Don't be so naive. I hope that you don't truly feel that way. I think most people on this forum DID want their bill to pass because it's a step in the right direction. Any positive gun legislation is good legislation. We will not stoop to the SCCC's level and try to undermine other pro-gun bills.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    So, despite no actual attempt to pass open carry, the "insiders" didn't get anywhere with campus carry or parking lot protection.

Strangely, campus carry's failure really had more to do with Voter ID: it was one of the last bills to come out of committee, and the Democrats opposed to the voter ID bill loaded up the calendar committee so that campus carry never made it to a vote.

There are some administrative changes to the CHL law. They're good changes, but nothing to crow about.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCH...92&t=25293

Hmm, I don't think I understood this:

"In order to be disqualifying for CHL purposes, a "conviction" must be classified as a felony both at the time it was committed and at the time of application for a CHL."

Does that mean that the current law that says if you have ANY misdemeanor conviction (Not just the ones such as dom violence, assault, violent, etc...) you can't have a permit for 5 years is gone?

This would be great to protect those tha