• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opening Carry a Fixed Blade

Jakeiscrazy

imported post

Is it legal to carry a fixed blade (larger than 3 inches) even if under 18.I was just interested as a got a Ka-Bar for me birthday and sometimes wear it to a friends. Just wanted to know if it is legal. I couldn't find anything on the site.

Thanks,
Jake

ElectricTurtle

imported post

I'm no lawyer either, but it's important to note that most states don't have preemption laws regarding knives, so even if there's no state law about length/carry/etc. that doesn't mean you're safe, free and clear from county codes or municipal ordinances. You definitely want to research all levels of the areas you'll be in or some municipal or county LEO might very well ruin your day.

Legba

imported post

Why not carry it to Wal-Marx? Your friend's place is probably safer than their parking lot.

-ljp

Jakeiscrazy

imported post

I do plan on opening carrying a Taurus 24/7 when i turn eighteen. But for know i have know knife training so is a defense situation i don't know how well I'd fair.

Jakeiscrazy

imported post

Well I kinda accidentally carried it into a mall. Decided not to take it off, just made sure it wasn't concealed. I got some looks but no comments. Even walked by a cop and he didn't say anything but he clearly saw it. So I don't know mite carry it more often. :)

grumpycoconut

imported post

If you visit California you are legally A-OK. Visible fixed blade knives are ok here. Only Dirks, Daggers and Switch Blades are problematic. Strap on a sword if you want.

Barnett3006

imported post

I always find it amusing that it is perfectly legal (in most places) to carry, openly of course; katanas, broadswords, greatswords, foils...even bastard swords. Watch out if you wanna carry a Dirk! A dirk is technically a shortsword and a shortsword is legal to carry...LOL, I guess the name is to evil sounding.

Same deal with daggers. Bowies, "Arkansas toothpicks" (unless that is considered a dirk), and hunting fixed blades are legal to carry but give your knife a double edge and make it a little pointier then the others and "they" can garanteed that you will go on a stabin-spree :shock:

and folders, OMG folders...I can sling a bastard sword on my back and walk around downtown but there is no legitamite pupose for me to carry a folding knife with a blade length of greater then 6 inches!

:?:?:?

anyhoo...I would highly recommend this knife http://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC2513&cat=UC it should count as a Bowie and comes with a wicked awesome tacticool shealth that is pretty much garanteed to get some :what: at the mall, LOL.

Decoligny

imported post

Barnett3006 wrote:
I always find it amusing that it is perfectly legal (in most places) to carry, openly of course; katanas, broadswords, greatswords, foils...even bastard swords. Watch out if you wanna carry a Dirk! A dirk is technically a shortsword and a shortsword is legal to carry...LOL, I guess the name is to evil sounding.

Same deal with daggers. Bowies, "Arkansas toothpicks" (unless that is considered a dirk), and hunting fixed blades are legal to carry but give your knife a double edge and make it a little pointier then the others and "they" can garanteed that you will go on a stabin-spree :shock:

and folders, OMG folders...I can sling a bastard sword on my back and walk around downtown but there is no legitamite pupose for me to carry a folding knife with a blade length of greater then 6 inches!

anyhoo...I would highly recommend this knife http://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC2513&cat=UC it should count as a Bowie and comes with a wicked awesome tacticool shealth that is pretty much garanteed to get some :what: at the mall, LOL.

Grumpycoconut is mistaken in his assertion that you cannot carry a "dirk" or "dagger".

California Penal Code only states that it is a felony to conceal a "dirk" or "dagger".

California even has it's own definition of a "dirk" or "dagger", which has NOTHING to do with a DOUBLE EDGE. Most people assume that a double edge knife is illegal in CA, but it is not.

a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.

So basically, you can open carry any fixed blade knife, but you cannot conceal a fixed blade knife, and you cannot conceal any folder that is in the open position.

Jakeiscrazy

imported post

So does it matter if I sharpen the upper back end of the blade?

And BWT your lucky you get 6 inches. In Virginia it is 3(concealable). :cuss:I can barley do anything with a 3 inch blade. That's why I now carry my K-Bar(open) along with my Benchmade(clipped inside my pocket).

grumpycoconut

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Grumpycoconut is mistaken in his assertion that you cannot carry a "dirk" or "dagger".

California Penal Code only states that it is a felony to conceal a "dirk" or "dagger".

California even has it's own definition of a "dirk" or "dagger", which has NOTHING to do with a DOUBLE EDGE. Most people assume that a double edge knife is illegal in CA, but it is not.

a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.

So basically, you can open carry any fixed blade knife, but you cannot conceal a fixed blade knife, and you cannot conceal any folder that is in the open position.

Deco,

I didn't say that they were illegal. I said that they were "problematic". You yourself pointed out what the problems were. Definition/description of the tool itself, concealment of the tool and unfounded public perception of the inherent evil of dirks and daggers (EPKs - EvilPointy Knives. The "Assault Weapons" of the ancient world).

Words mean things. If I mean illegal I will say illegal. If I mean something else I will say something else. Example: It is not illegal to openly carry an unloaded handgun in a belt holster in California but it can be problematic.

Hell! As far as I'm concerned, if you've got the stones to strap on a blade and traipse through town, good on you! Just keep in mind that the local popo might just drop on by because some sissy mary sheeple thinks it's a major fashion faux pas to wear a spatha with a kilt after memorial day. Every one knows that a rapier hung from one's baldricand a dagger worn horizontally across the small of the backare much more appropriate for summer wear.

PS: Switch blades are only illegal in CA becasue William Randolph Hearst didn't like Mexicans.

In the sentance above illegal is used specifically because possession of switch blade knives is prohibited by section 653(k) of the California penal code. This only becomes problematic if the police catch you.

Barnett3006

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Barnett3006 wrote:

well, my point was that the patchwork of evil knife laws in the country make as much sense (or less) as the patchwork of gun laws.

I actually think its legal here in FL to carry a dirk, as long as its not concealed.

Jakeiscrazy

imported post

Just an update I have been carrying ever since i first posted. No problems so far even walked by police any such no problems. Just though I'd let ya'll know.