• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in state parks

sempercarry

imported post

It has probably been hit befor but I cant find it. Is it legal to carry in state parks?

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I open-carried last Sunday at Fort Casey state park on Whidby Island. Walked around with the wife and kids for about 3 hours. No one freaked out. Lots of park rangers around too. My thinking is, state preemption applies.

Trigger Dr

imported post

This is an email and answer from the State re carry in state parks.

[align=justify]
Code:
James, State Parks prohibits the discharge of firearms within or into a
State Park.  Hunting is also prohibited.

The state laws on carry of a pistol also apply on Park land and you will
find these in RCW 9.41.  If you have a concealed pistol license you may
legally carry a pistol within our parks.  Rangers seldom have cause to
contact someone who is licensed and carrying a concealed pistol because
there are few problems with CPL holders and the pistols are concealed.
Occasionally, we have had visitor complaints when a pistol is carried
openly and then a ranger may contact a person to ensure that state laws
are complied with.

Cathie Barnes
Information Center
Washington State Parks
360/902-8844

-----Original Message-----
From: JAMES R MILNER [mailto:[url=http://webmailb.juno.com/webmail/new/8?folder=OCDO&msgNum=000027G0:0017qedl00003I3k&block=1&msgNature=all&msgStatus=all&count=1243572463&content=central#][u][color=#0066cc]jimrmilner@juno.com[/color][/u][/url]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:35 PM
To: Barnes, Cathie (PARKS)
Subject: Firearms in Wa. State Parks.

What are the rules for the carrying of firearms on your person in Wa.
State parks and recreational lands?
[/align]

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

See FAQ question 1. There are only a small handful of places statutorily off limits to gun carry in Washington State, and the four RCW's that describe them are listed in the first question. State parks are not one of the handful off off limits places. UNLESS a legally defined outdoor music festival is being held at one, and only then within the confines of the outdoor music festival itself.

FMCDH

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
See FAQ question 1. There are only a small handful of places statutorily off limits to gun carry in Washington State, and the four RCW's that describe them are listed in the first question. State parks are not one of the handful off off limits places. UNLESS a legally defined outdoor music festival is being held at one, and only then within the confines of the outdoor music festival itself.
Don't forget that said music festivals must ALSO meet certain "expected attendance" requirements of, I believe at least 2000 persons, otherwise it don't count. :)

FMCDH

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Which is why I said "legally defined" outdoor music festival.
Oooo, you and your silly "legalese" ;)
So says the Coastie:p Yah want to hear my story about the newbie Coastie and a boarding in Brookings? :D
Heck yea, I love to hear these stories. :D

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Long story short, it was my buddy's boat and we were en route to San Diego, a 37' sailboat.

We tied up at the public dock and went on a beer/food run, and a squad of coasties tracked us down and told us they wanted us back at the boat for a boarding.

First there was the shear lack of situational awareness. Anyone with a devious mind could have easily disarmed one or two of them a couple of times while rooting around the engine compartment or head, or whatnot.

The funny thing is while my buddy was showing the head, etc... I was up topside chilling, sitting on top the aft cabin, and another coastie with a checklist was asking me questions about the boat (specs, etc...) He got to the question "Who made the boat?" Well my feet were right above a very prominent logo with the manufacturer's name written on the hull. Kinda akin to sitting on the hood of a truck with the big Chevy V right in your face and asking who made the boat.

Well I couldn't resist. I just looked right down below where I was sitting and said "Well according to the name just below my feet I would imagine it is O-Day". He just looked annoyed and wrote it down and kept asking the usual stupid questions.

Stupidest boarding I ever had was when I was in a 7' dinghy going back out to my boat at anchor. San Diego Coast Guard was stopping each and every DINGHY and going through the usual motions. They got miffed at me when I mentioned to a couple of people they should get a receipt for the boarding (which weren't being handed out).

FMCDH

imported post

Gezz (Facepalm)

Here is rule 1 when dealing with military in civil settings and they are ignoring procedure or being otherwise unsafe.

Ask to talk to their commanding officer or the watch OOD. The master/operator of a vessel has every right to request such a conversation.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Gezz (Facepalm)

Here is rule 1 when dealing with military in civil settings and they are ignoring procedure or being otherwise unsafe.

Ask to talk to their commanding officer or the watch OOD. The master/operator of a vessel has every right to request such a conversation.
Well the Brookings incident was just funny really. You had to be there. We were also tired so perhaps the antics of a newbie crew (we were told later they were undergoing training) was funnier than normal.

The crap in San Diego was just that though, crap. Now I don't know if things have changed, but I know when we were boarded in Brookings 5-6 years ago showing ID was not mandatory (said so on the boarding receipt). In San Diego a year later they were requiring people to show ID and telling them it was mandatory, although IIRC I got off without doing so.

I haven't had any issues with the CG in years, and the last time I had encounters with them was when they were doing security for an Army ship in the Port of Olympia and they were mainly concerned with making sure I kept my dinghy to the far side of the channel and being aware that they would be shadowing me on my trip. They didn't give a rip about several things they could have cited me for, nor the pistol I was CCing (which I told them about of course). All in all the several days I dealt with the security patrols was probably the most professional and low key encounters I had with the CG. Of course I knew exactly what they were there doing and made sure I was doing exactly what they would want and let them know I appreciated their work to boot. (Stupid freaks were trying to block the unloading of the cargo ashore or barring that, keep it from leaving the port facilities. Bunch of pepper spray and flash bangs later courtesy of Oly PD the cargo got shipped back to Ft. Lewis.) So yah I gotta give props to the guys who were doing the security patrols that week.