• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More trouble in Short Pump

All American Nightmare

imported post

It seems as if Henrico does not respect gun laws. I have just had some trouble in the Short Pump area as well, if any anyone is willing to to talk to me about what has happened I would love to hear from you. I am in the process of talking toIAD about the matter. Possibley who you spoke to atIAD, when and a general outline as to what happened. This seems to be an ongoing thing with Henrico and their lack of respect of our rights. Please send me a pm with any info on this matter

Ore

imported post

I'm sure we'd all like to hear the details.........

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
It seems as if Henrico does not respect gun laws. I have just had some trouble in the Short Pump area as well, if any anyone is willing to to talk to me about what has happened I would love to hear from you. I am in the process of talking toIAD about the matter. Possibley who you spoke to atIAD, when and a general outline as to what happened. This seems to be an ongoing thing with Henrico and their lack of respect of our rights. Please send me a pm with any info on this matter
I'm all ears

bigears.jpg

TFred

imported post

While we are all curious, it is actually refreshing to find someone who realizes that it may not be in their best interest to spill all the details of a potentially litigious encounter on a public forum.

I'm sure they will be happy to share what they can when it is appropriate.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rather difficult to respond to a request for assistance without some more specific criteria or list of wants.

Just not enough data to know where to begin.

Yata hey

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

A few years ago I had a bad experience with a Henrico police officer in Short Pump. I filed an internal affairs complaint, and the officer was "administratively disciplined".

One thing Col. Stanley asked Phil Van Cleave is that in the future he be contacted immediately after such incidents, so he can "make things right".

Here's what I'd do post haste if I were you:

1. File a WRITTEN internal affairs complaint. It is not a real complaint if you just talk to internal affairs or a supervisor on the phone.Fax AND mail hard copies of the complaint to internal affairs AND VCDL.

2. Call or email Philip Van Cleave. He helped me a lot. He also worked with Col. Stanley. I will warn you that a top officer in Henrico lied through his teeth early in the process when Col Stanley was out of town and unavailable- he lied to me, lied to Philip, etc. Be prepared for this. (he claimed there had been a 911 "man with a gun" call - there hadn't been. He just made that up out of thin air)

3. Fax and mail a FOIA request for all radio traffic and the incident/call report. Do this asap, even if there isn't an incident report (there wasn't in my case - I've always suspected the officer knew he screwed up and the last thing he wanted was a written record of what he did). However, there was a call report, showing the codes used, the other officers called to the scene, etc.

4. You haven't shared any details of your encounter, so it is impossible for any of us to know if you had a real "problematic encounter" with an officer or not. We also can't judge if your own actions may have contributed (even unwittingly) to the situation you experienced. If your behavior was as "clean asdriven snow", then you may also wish to file a written criminal complaint against the officer with the Commonwealths Attorney, as I did. This must be done in writing. In my case, this led to a seperate invesitgation of the officers behavior by the CA as well (be aware that this will delay the internal affairs process, and tie Col. Stanleys hands to a large degree, until the complaint with the commonwealth attorneyis resolved). If you do this, Col Stanley will be largely unable to intervene until this is resolved.

I have copies of all my complaints and correspondence if you need any assistance. I received an apologyfrom Col Stanley and a letter from internal affairs saying that officers misbehavior was "inappropriate" and "not up to the expectations of the division of police" that also noted the officer had been "administratively disciplined". My experience with internal affairs was that you have to push them a little bit. And if everything is not in writing, then it didn't happen as far as they are concerned. One officer in internal affairs was very good - but his supervisor was less forthcoming and less helpful. Perhaps because my behavior was perfect, the officers behavior was mistaken in multiple regards, andbecause I also involved the Board of Supervisors and VCDL, I did get exactly the result I wanted. Philip helped immensely, as well as the fact that I had two witnesses who gave statements to internal affairs.

PS - I open carry in Short Pump routinely, and have never had a problem since. In fact, I have since encounteredat least a dozen Henrico officers while open carrying since, without ever having a problem.

taurusfan

imported post

Why don't you tell us a little then? Were you in a traffic stop? In a store? Was it Henrico PD?

It seems the Henrico police are the most annoying force in the area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

glockfan wrote:
It seems the Henrico police are the most annoying force in the area.
Not been my experience but YMMV.

Education of local agencies and is the key - a few in Chesterfield are behind the learning curve - and it originates from the top.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DrMark wrote:
Surrounded by 10 Henrico officers?!?

Do tell!
I know the story Dr. Mark.
Without going into detail because it still hasn't quite been ressolved (I don't think..Philip is involved)

He was roughed up a little and then given a bad time when he complained. The OP is a nice fellow. There's no reason for what happened.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:

Do tell!
Without going into detail because it still hasn't quite been ressolved (I don't think..Philip is involved)

He was roughed up a little and then given a bad time when he complained. The OP is a nice fellow. There's no reason for what happened.
Ah, thanks.

I thought he might be ready to discuss it since he was sharing a detail or two in another thread.

Here's to full, positive resolution, and if he's game, a full telling of the events at the proper time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DrMark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:

Do tell!

Ah, thanks.

I thought he might be ready to discuss it since he was sharing a detail or two in another thread.

Here's to full, positive resolution, and if he's game, a full telling of the events at the proper time.
He may be but I don't want to presume just yet.

All American Nightmare

imported post

DrMark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:

Do tell!

Ah, thanks.

I will glady share all info just as soon as I can !!!!!!!!!!!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
DrMark wrote:

Do tell!

Ah, thanks.

I will glady share all info just as soon as I can !!!!!!!!!!!
Roger that, and best of luck on fully resolving it.