• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on School Grounds

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am glad this thread came up. I was considering picking up my kid now that the weather is warmer with my motorcycle. They love it when I do that. Now that I have my cpl I should be able to due it while open carrying. Correct? or am I misreading what has been stated.

Lord_Kalen

imported post

Pepper spray backed by a combat knife is an option

Theres no mention of knives in the school law , the closest is this ,

b) Any other dangerous weapon as defined in RCW 9.41.250;

However the law states "Dagger or Dirk or other dangerous weapon" if intentionally concealed , its case law insome states , aswell as common knife terminology. that a dirk is either a small dagger orfew specific types of single edged knives such as the Sgian Duhb and related scottish blades.

It can be a violation of school policy but as far as I can figure you could OC acombat blade of indefined length at a school though theres 9.41.270 . however I'd just run at another track , Reading about the Sihks carrying Kirpans I brought it up to my teachers late in highschool but didnt really press the issue .

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I am glad this thread came up. I was considering picking up my kid now that the weather is warmer with my motorcycle. They love it when I do that. Now that I have my cpl I should be able to due it while open carrying. Correct? or am I misreading what has been stated.

If you have a CPL, you won't be violating the law if you stay out of the building and on the bike, however you will likely gain some attention you may not want. OC on school grounds is really pushing the envelope; think it through carefully before you do.

Charles

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Lord_Kalen wrote:

It can be a violation of school policy but as far as I can figure you could OC acombat blade of indefined length at a school though theres 9.41.270 .

There isn't a blanket answer to this. Although OC of a combat knife isn't a violation of state or federal law as far as I can determine, it may be a violation of municipal law.

There is no preemption for weapons other than firearms, so counties and cities are free to enact laws that prohibit combat knives, whether on school property or not. In some localities in Washington, any fixed blade is illegal.

Open carrying anything onto a K-12 campus is pushing the envelope, except that folding clip-on knives are pretty common with non-students these days and generally ignored. Even though you may not be violating any law by OC of a combat knife, I expect you will be advised that if you repeat the action you wil be trespassed from school property.

Charles

joeroket

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:

If you have a CPL, you won't be violating the law if you stay out of the building and on the bike, however you will likely gain some attention you may not want. OC on school grounds is really pushing the envelope; think it through carefully before you do.

Charles
If you are picking up or dropping off a child you are not required to stay in ( or on in this case ) your vehicle. Entering a building is still a no-no though.

I personally would not OC on school grounds as it may be considered at a time and place that warrants alarm for the safety of others. I am not sure how the courts would view it.

joeroket

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
Lord_Kalen wrote:

It can be a violation of school policy but as far as I can figure you could OC acombat blade of indefined length at a school though theres 9.41.270 .

There isn't a blanket answer to this. Although OC of a combat knife isn't a violation of state or federal law as far as I can determine, it may be a violation of municipal law.

There is no preemption for weapons other than firearms, so counties and cities are free to enact laws that prohibit combat knives, whether on school property or not. In some localities in Washington, any fixed blade is illegal.

Open carrying anything onto a K-12 campus is pushing the envelope, except that folding clip-on knives are pretty common with non-students these days and generally ignored. Even though you may not be violating any law by OC of a combat knife, I expect you will be advised that if you repeat the action you wil be trespassed from school property.

Charles
The state holds pre emption on spray devices as well as forearms.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.91.160

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

I know this is a little off topic but. my Nevada CCW is no good In WA, and Im cool with that caus I will just OC however you guys have the littlecar law that throws a wrench in stuff. is it void if I am on myHarley does anyone have cites. Dave

sudden valley gunner