Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-carry proponents take a stroll through Minocqua; video included

Post imported post

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.as...ArticleID=9587

Video to follow, but here's the link those who are impatient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B27TBj9B1lE

-Samantha

Post imported post

Good report, and good job open carriers!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    Thank you I worked really hard on this.

Post imported post

It would appear you may be the best informed reporter on the gun issue in the entire state. Very well done.

Post imported post

Max wrote:
    It would appear you may be the best informed reporter on the gun issue in the entire state.* Very well done.
    Thank you. I have a giant folder of open carry information, stories and notes. Nutczak can attest to this.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:
    Shotgun wrote:
    Now, have yiour editor pay for you to accompany some Wisconsin folks to www.frontsight.com in Nevada and go thru the training with them and do a report on it! Front Sight might even comp you all if you ask them

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    shernandez wrote:
    Shotgun wrote:
    Now, have yiour editor pay for you to accompany some Wisconsin folks to www.frontsight.com in Nevada and go thru the training with them and do a report on it!* Front Sight might even comp you all if you ask them
    Thanks for the tip Mike! If anyone goes I would love to hear from them. I think they might make me use my vacation time if I wanted to go.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    shernandez wrote:
    Shotgun wrote:
    Now, have yiour editor pay for you to accompany some Wisconsin folks to http://www.frontsight.com in Nevada and go thru the training with them and do a report on it! Front Sight might even comp you all if you ask them
    Thanks for the tip Mike! If anyone goes I would love to hear from them. I think they might make me use my vacation time if I wanted to go.
    you can go and write a story per day, including on your progress.

Post imported post

Its good to see that the police complied too the law. I used too live in Little Rice back in 99.
    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
    -Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor

Now I lay me down to sleep
    Beside my bed a Tuarus I keep
    If I awake to find you inside
    A coroner's van will be your next ride.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

WOW!!

the first time I read this, I didn't realize that it was written by Ms. Hernandez.

Ms. Hernandez, a very respectful salute for such a wonderfully written article. Thank you so very much.

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    WOW!!

the first time I read this, I didn't realize that it was written by Ms. Hernandez.

Ms. Hernandez, a very respectful salute for such a wonderfully written article. Thank you so very much.
    Thank you.

Post imported post

Nice article, contains meat unlike so many articles out there on the net which bluff their way through an article.

My only concerns is the fellow with the XD(M) isn't using a retention holster. I personally use at least a level II retention holster for gun grabbing prevention, which I should note some officers can't even take the gun out. Looking at the Youtube link, the fellow appears to be using the junk stock belt holster which Springfield includes with every gun kit. I'd even recommend the piece of crap blackhawk serpa holster instead of the one he is using.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    Nice article, contains meat unlike so many articles out there on the net which bluff their way through an article.

My only concerns is the fellow with the XD(M) isn't using a retention holster. I personally use at least a level II retention holster for gun grabbing prevention, which I should note some officers can't even take the gun out. Looking at the Youtube link, the fellow appears to be using the junk stock belt holster which Springfield includes with every gun kit. I'd even recommend the piece of crap blackhawk serpa holster instead of the one he is using.
    Speaking of that video it got a 130 hits the first day.

As for it having meat, I was also saddened by the very short open carry articles that I found on the net.

Post imported post

Here comes the criticism! It's constructive though so bare with me.

I put a comment on the youtube video. In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.

Good job on the walk and the coverage. It's good to see that objective journalism still exists.

Post imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
    In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.
    In any firearm training course, you'll be taught to place your pinky in the chamber on pistols, shotguns, and rifles. The point is to make sure the chamber is cleared.

Hundreds of firearms instructors can't be wrong.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    N00blet45 wrote:
    In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.
    In any firearm training course, you'll be taught to place your pinky in the chamber on pistols, shotguns, and rifles. The point is to make sure the chamber is cleared.

Pinky inside a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 open chamber might be OK, but don't try it on a M1 Garand....

Post imported post

You didn't need that finger anyhow

Post imported post

Some shotguns I can understand, the action isn't going to cycle if I accidentally bump it. Semi-autos though... I'll look or use a stick but not my finger.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Holster;
    Since I had just received that XDm, that was the only holster I had for it. And that included Springfield Armory holster is a retention holster. It does not require physically hitting a release like the Serpa holsters do, butinstead it has an adjustment screw to increase the level of tightness for proper retention. There is a visible indentation on the holster that fits within the trigger-guard when it is tightened to the appropriate level. Andit makes an audible click when the pistol is holstered. It was also on a cordura belt, So it was not going anywhere.

Using a finger to verifythe chamber is empty;
    I always make physical contact by use of a finger to verifya chamberis clear, no matter what firearm I am handling. It was a technique I was taught at a very young age and I continue to use that technique to this day. I have never got bitten by a slide closing, even when I had my Desert Eagle, And that is a slide that should defenitelybe feared due to its heft. Extraction can fail for many reasons, the possibilty of an injured finger is far outweighed by the consequences of having a round in the chamber when you mistakenly think it is empty.

Since I had just received that XDm, I had no time to get a left-handed holster for it. So all handling and wearingwas 'Weak Side" since I am a lefty. I would like to see you guys handle a pistol weak-hand in a video so I could pick it apart at a later date.

Now where the heck is that emoticon with the tongue sticking out?!

Post imported post

:P

-------------------------------------------------

I'm sure someone will chime in and say how training with the weak side is just important as the strong side.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    N00blet45 wrote:
    Correct. Very bad idea. Very bad habit to get into. Correct training has you check for clearance by opening the action, visually checking, andputting a pen or rod through the barrel downthrough the chamber.

Not in *any* course; just the ones that don't know any better. Any instructor that teaches that method IS wrong, and deserves the injury lawsuits they getfrom people maiming or losing fingers due to negligent instruction.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Banned

Post imported post

Here take my strong hand!:what:

Banned

Post imported post

I have been through three fire arms courses and have always been taught to visually check the chamber for rounds. There should not be any reason why you would not visually see a round in the chamber.

The finger option is a personal preference.

All in All a very nice story and video Ms. Hernandez

Post imported post

I'm not certain but have a feeling the "sticking the finger in" is so you don't have to turn the weapon. Less time staring at the weapon, more time looking at your surroundings.

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    Not in *any* course; just the ones that don't know any better. Any instructor that teaches that method IS wrong, and deserves the injury lawsuits they getfrom people maiming or losing fingers due to negligent instruction.
    Having accidentally dropped the slide lock on a Glock while checking the chamber with my pinky, I can tell you that 1. The accident does happen, 2. It does hurt, 3. The injury is incredibly minor; not even anywhere close to being as bad as slamming your fingers in a door, for example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast