• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-carry proponents take a stroll through Minocqua; video included

Max

imported post

It would appear you may be the best informed reporter on the gun issue in the entire state. Very well done.

shernandez

imported post

Max wrote:
It would appear you may be the best informed reporter on the gun issue in the entire state.  Very well done.

Thank you. I have a giant folder of open carry information, stories and notes. Nutczak can attest to this.

shernandez

imported post

Mike wrote:
shernandez wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Good report, and good job open carriers!

Thank you I worked really hard on this.
Now, have yiour editor pay for you to accompany some Wisconsin folks to www.frontsight.com in Nevada and go thru the training with them and do a report on it!  Front Sight might even comp you all if you ask them ;)

Thanks for the tip Mike! If anyone goes I would love to hear from them. I think they might make me use my vacation time if I wanted to go.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

shernandez wrote:
Mike wrote:
shernandez wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Good report, and good job open carriers!

Thank you I worked really hard on this.
Now, have yiour editor pay for you to accompany some Wisconsin folks to http://www.frontsight.com in Nevada and go thru the training with them and do a report on it! Front Sight might even comp you all if you ask them ;)

Thanks for the tip Mike! If anyone goes I would love to hear from them. I think they might make me use my vacation time if I wanted to go.
you can go and write a story per day, including on your progress.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

WOW!!

the first time I read this, I didn't realize that it was written by Ms. Hernandez.

Ms. Hernandez, a very respectful salute for such a wonderfully written article. Thank you so very much.

shernandez

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
WOW!!

the first time I read this, I didn't realize that it was written by Ms. Hernandez.

Ms. Hernandez, a very respectful salute for such a wonderfully written article. Thank you so very much.

Thank you.

david.ross

imported post

Nice article, contains meat unlike so many articles out there on the net which bluff their way through an article.

My only concerns is the fellow with the XD(M) isn't using a retention holster. I personally use at least a level II retention holster for gun grabbing prevention, which I should note some officers can't even take the gun out. Looking at the Youtube link, the fellow appears to be using the junk stock belt holster which Springfield includes with every gun kit. I'd even recommend the piece of crap blackhawk serpa holster instead of the one he is using.

shernandez

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Nice article, contains meat unlike so many articles out there on the net which bluff their way through an article.

My only concerns is the fellow with the XD(M) isn't using a retention holster. I personally use at least a level II retention holster for gun grabbing prevention, which I should note some officers can't even take the gun out. Looking at the Youtube link, the fellow appears to be using the junk stock belt holster which Springfield includes with every gun kit. I'd even recommend the piece of crap blackhawk serpa holster instead of the one he is using.
Speaking of that video it got a 130 hits the first day.

As for it having meat, I was also saddened by the very short open carry articles that I found on the net.

N00blet45

imported post

Here comes the criticism! It's constructive though so bare with me.

I put a comment on the youtube video. In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.

Good job on the walk and the coverage. It's good to see that objective journalism still exists.

david.ross

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.
In any firearm training course, you'll be taught to place your pinky in the chamber on pistols, shotguns, and rifles. The point is to make sure the chamber is cleared.

Hundreds of firearms instructors can't be wrong. ;)

GWbiker

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
N00blet45 wrote:
In the video Harry puts his pinky into the chamber area to check that the weapon is cleared of any ammunition. I've always heard that is a very bad idea because if the slide closes your finger will be in between two pieces of metal rapidly closing together.
In any firearm training course, you'll be taught to place your pinky in the chamber on pistols, shotguns, and rifles. The point is to make sure the chamber is cleared.

Hundreds of firearms instructors can't be wrong. ;)
Pinky inside a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 open chamber might be OK, but don't try it on a M1 Garand...;);).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Holster;
Since I had just received that XDm, that was the only holster I had for it. And that included Springfield Armory holster is a retention holster. It does not require physically hitting a release like the Serpa holsters do, butinstead it has an adjustment screw to increase the level of tightness for proper retention. There is a visible indentation on the holster that fits within the trigger-guard when it is tightened to the appropriate level. Andit makes an audible click when the pistol is holstered. It was also on a cordura belt, So it was not going anywhere.

Using a finger to verifythe chamber is empty;
I always make physical contact by use of a finger to verifya chamberis clear, no matter what firearm I am handling. It was a technique I was taught at a very young age and I continue to use that technique to this day. I have never got bitten by a slide closing, even when I had my Desert Eagle, And that is a slide that should defenitelybe feared due to its heft. Extraction can fail for many reasons, the possibilty of an injured finger is far outweighed by the consequences of having a round in the chamber when you mistakenly think it is empty.

Since I had just received that XDm, I had no time to get a left-handed holster for it. So all handling and wearingwas 'Weak Side" since I am a lefty. I would like to see you guys handle a pistol weak-hand in a video so I could pick it apart at a later date.

Now where the heck is that emoticon with the tongue sticking out?!

david.ross

imported post

:p

-------------------------------------------------

I'm sure someone will chime in and say how training with the weak side is just important as the strong side.