• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone here locally (SE Wisconsin/Milwaukee area) a FFL holder

M

McX

imported post

what do you have to do to get a ffl? Maybe one of us should get it!

Jason in WI

imported post

McX wrote:

Order the application packet ATF F 5310.12 (Form 7) from here:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Fill out some paper work, fingerprints and photographs and of course send in a check :lol:.

I can see it now "Mechanics and Firearms LTD" I like it! Were gonna need bigger hats.

Seriously, I did consider getting an FFL as the paper work and record keeping really wasn't that bad. At the shop we have two separate offices (as in different addresses and everything) and I wanted to turn half into a separate firearm dealer/entity but didn't want the hassle with the city trying to get the permit, at least not anytime soon. I'm not even going to attempt running it out of this apartment so I'll probably wait until we buy a house hopefully soon. My main purpose was to just do transfers and maybe buy some stuff in bulk and sell for a tiny profit like most home based dealers, I never intend to become a "dealer" or "shop".

Don't buy one of those "FFL" kits I've heard they are a waist of money, just find the information and forms yourself.

A how-to right from the ATF here:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

1911forme

imported post

Jason in WI wrote:
McX wrote:

I wanted to turn half into a separate firearm dealer/entity but didn't want the hassle with the city trying to get the permit"
Have you asked the city about this? I don't think it's as much a pain , as you might think. Especially , if you didn't plan on stocking inventory. Always wondered why anyone would want to operate out of their house? I personally would want to keep it separate, and not have all those customers coming tomy home. You should look into it further , but it's your call.

M

McX

imported post

whoever gets an ffl in our area is guarenteed my business!