• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Parks

albritton77

imported post

It's quite amusing. The only people I get googly eyes from :what:while I OC in a public park (with my children) are from teenagers who think they're bad-a$$es or [teenagers] who think they're in a gang.
Watching these kids whip out their cell phones, (we all know who they're calling...) close them back up with confused and frustrated faces, then watching them slowly leave the park is absolutely hilarious!!!

As for the rest of the people in the public park.... they don't care. Even single mommies with children stick around.

Gunslinger

imported post

I got my first comment at the gas station the other day--"what a beautiful gun!" I was carrying my SIG C3 in a Fobus, so it was mostly exposed. I thanked him and told him it shoots as good as it looks. In EL Paso County, OC is an every day occurance.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

LOL... funny you should bring this up now. I got this reaction for the first time last weekend. I was OC in OCC during Territory Days. The place was fairly crawling with high school kids in police uniforms with "Explorer" on their shoulder patches. I think it's an extension of the Scouting programs to familiarize kids with different professions, one of which being law enforcement.

Anyway... I'm sauntering down the street and notice a gaggle of said Explorers heaing my way. One of them notices my OC and literally goes:what::what::what:and grabs one of his buddies and points and whispers in the other's ear. That was the extent of it and I'd passed several real cops earlier without incident. But I did have to chuckle pretty hard over the kids expression and reaction.

atinsley

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
... high school kids in police uniforms with "Explorer" on their shoulder patches.   I think it's an extension of the Scouting programs to familiarize kids with different professions, one of which being law enforcement.

Actually, the explorer program is run by the CSPD and is a program for kids, aged 14.5-21, to gain a better understanding of the criminal justice system and provides a first hand view into all phases of police work, for those wishing to pursue a career in law enforcement.

It's a really good program, one in which I was part of for 2 years. I was 15 when I joined, back when I wanted to be a cop, and then I learned about computers and decided I wanted to work in IT. Now I wish I had stayed and went on to the police academy.