Thread: Purchase question (Michigan/Ohio)

Post imported post

The general idea I got from my last question is trading involves a pseudo purchase if it's by mail to an FFL.

If it's a face to face, out of state buy, what are the laws regarding it? Basically, 18 in Michigan, purchasing from a private citizen in Ohio.

Post imported post

Pistol not allowed. Long gun any state through an FFL

Edited to change long gun to any state... see post below for more detail!

Also note that many times stores will refuse to sell to out of state persons and that face to face on long guns is only allowed in your home state.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Pistol not allowed. Long gun it must be an adjacent state ... unless you have or go through an FFL
    I can't find the cite, but all but the pistol part I'm almost certain is correct. Ill post it when I find it, unless someone beats me to it.

Post imported post

OK here it is direct from the BATF

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Back]
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Note while it does not specifically say pistol that is what is implied by it calling out rifles and shotguns the way it does!

here is where I got it from http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Recap: You only may do a face to face in other than your home state IF you are both licensed IE FFL 01 or if C&R FFL 03
    If unlicensed you may only purchase face to face within your own state. HOWEVER you could have the seller transfer the firearm to an FFL and pay a transfer fee for the FFL to make everything legal!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

sre1669 wrote:
    The general idea I got from my last question is trading involves a pseudo purchase if it's by mail to an FFL.

If it's a face to face, out of state buy, what are the laws regarding it? Basically, 18 in Michigan, purchasing from a private citizen in Ohio.
    The sellercanmail (FedX or UPS overnight)the pistol to your FFL here in Michigan or he/she may choose to have an FFL in Ohio assume that responsibility to have it sent to your FFL-either way. IIRC, it's 18 for non-FFL purchases in Ohio.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    sre1669 wrote:

The sellercanmail (FedX or UPS overnight)the pistol to your FFL here in Michigan or he/she may choose to have an FFL in Ohio assume that responsibility to have it sent to your FFL-either way. IIRC, it's 18 for non-FFL purchases in Ohio.
    But if you buy a pistol from out of state, you must be 21 to complete the FFLs paper work. 18 for long guns.

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    sre1669 wrote:

But if you buy a pistol from out of state, you must be 21 to complete the FFLs paper work. 18 for long guns.
    Oops!!! My bad. I didn't get enough info from the OP to to determine that he's only 18. I thought he was just acknowledging that in Michigan you must be 18 for non-FFL purchases.

Post imported post

Yeah if he is 18 no go on out of state pistol purchase due to an FFL being involved.

The only way to buy a pistol at 18 is face to face from an individual in state!