Thread: Empty holster

Post imported post

I read somewhere (possibly on OpenCarry in re Nevada laws) about someone hassled for having an empty holster. What are people's experiences on this in Oregon? In particular, would it be legal to go into a Court empty holstered (w/o any weapons, mind you.) But would be interested in hearing about people's empty holster experience.

Post imported post

Fred Kenpo wrote:
    I read somewhere (possibly on OpenCarry in re Nevada laws) about someone hassled for having an empty holster. What are people's experiences on this in Oregon? In particular, would it be legal to go into a Court empty holstered (w/o any weapons, mind you.) But would be interested in hearing about people's empty holster experience.
    I do it (Court) at least once a week. Although I must admit that when in Court it is almost always covered by my jacket so it doesn't get any attention. The few times that I have been asked to take my coat off and put it through the detector I have been asked where my weapon is and I have replied "in the safe in the vehicle" and never had another look.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

The ONLY place I carry an empty holster is in jail.

Post imported post

I went into court with an empty holster once.

The security was clearly displeased, and gave me a security screening that made me feel like it should have ended with a cigarette, to the point where they discovered my handcuff key and denied me entry for that. (I had no idea you weren't supposed to carry a handcuff key into court. I'd all but forgotten about it on my keyring, placed there early in my security days as a backup to my real key.)

I walked outside, buried it in a planter, and walked back in, much to the chagrin of those at the metal detector.

Post imported post

grishnav wrote:
    I went into court with an empty holster once.

The security was clearly displeased, and gave me a security screening that made me feel like it should have ended with a cigarette, to the point where they discovered my handcuff key and denied me entry for that. (I had no idea you weren't supposed to carry a handcuff key into court. I'd all but forgotten about it on my keyring, placed there early in my security days as a backup to my real key.)

I walked outside, buried it in a planter, and walked back in, much to the chagrin of those at the metal detector.
    That's funny Grish - I too have been hassled over my handcuff key. Only by Clackamas County though. None of the other counties have noticed/cared.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

Living in a small town, I frequently run into businesses that do not allow OC. Just to keep it fresh in thier minds, I wear the empty holster.. sometimes I put my full mag in the holster just for cause, usually in Bi-Mart and Safeway.. and in both of those stores I have positive response from employees and some management. Just because corporate has issues does not mean everyone does..

J

Post imported post

seriously, hassled over the handcuff key? ive had one on my keyring since i was a teen and i think thats the one thing ive never been hassled over.

and to not go off topic, the company i work for has a no weapon policy. i still pack my knife with no problems. but i tend to get funny looks if my empty holster is showing. they all think im just a gun nut anyway so they havnt said anything yet.

Post imported post

You guys carry Handcuffs?

Post imported post

Handcuffs? Are you planning on arresting people? Are you in law enforcement or private security? I don't know if it is illegal, but it sounds like a bad plan in my opinion!Interested TO what others think as well

Post imported post

i dont carry handcuffs. i just have stupid friends. and its been handy to have one on my keyring. actually went to a garage sale 2 weeks ago and got a free set of cuffs cause some dumbass put them on his wrist as they were telling him they didnt have a key.. lol