• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Patriotism and Pride of service called "Advertising" by HOA President

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Argh, those damn living languages changing under your feet, eh?

Yep. Though I have a problem with changing fundamental constructs because of their significance to the language. Another example is the word "gender". As you know, this word went from having nothing to do with sexual definition, to now describing the sexuality of human beings. Its original meaning dealt with language and not humans.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

Aw, poor baby has a different use for a word now, making it more useful.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hmm, shades of Aran........obvious troll is obvious.

Really, though... do you make on-topic posts ANYWHERE or do you just go around the board all day saying, "troll troll troll troll." Looks to me like you're the one that's trolling.

Riana

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Seven. Bumper. Stickers.

That constitutes an eyesore, where perhaps they let people get away with one, maybe two.

It's their rule, their right to enforce it as they wish
They showed the vehicle in the video - not an eyesore, by my reckoning, at least. Unless the sheer number of decals is the problem. And I do agree - he should go around and photograph all the other cars in the lot with decals and such on them, and take those photos to the next board meeting. Ask if those people have also been put on notice, in the board meeting. I'll bet the board president clams up quick. It would be great if his car was one of those with a decal...

Our first experience with an HOA was when we moved to VA in 2005. We barely even knew it existed. The pool was opened in the summer - I think that's all they did. We were able to park our box trailer in our driveway, and no one complained.

Fast forward to 2007, when we moved to a different place, and a different HOA. I would hate owning a home here - I'm glad we're renting. We had to haul our trailer up to our property in NH, because I refuse to pay $100 for storage for it, since we can't park it anywhere on our property or on the public thoroughfare. Any exterior changes to the house (if we owned it) would have to go through the HOA, even if the change is not noticable (i.e., replacing windows with the exact same look of windows). What a cluster.

I'm glad our place in NH doesn't have an HOA problem. We can pretty much build whatever house we want up there (and have) - as long as it meets State building codes. Fine by me.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Riana wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Seven. Bumper. Stickers.

That constitutes an eyesore, where perhaps they let people get away with one, maybe two.

It's their rule, their right to enforce it as they wish
They showed the vehicle in the video - not an eyesore, by my reckoning, at least. Unless the sheer number of decals is the problem. And I do agree - he should go around and photograph all the other cars in the lot with decals and such on them, and take those photos to the next board meeting. Ask if those people have also been put on notice, in the board meeting. I'll bet the board president clams up quick. It would be great if his car was one of those with a decal...

Our first experience with an HOA was when we moved to VA in 2005. We barely even knew it existed. The pool was opened in the summer - I think that's all they did. We were able to park our box trailer in our driveway, and no one complained.

Fast forward to 2007, when we moved to a different place, and a different HOA. I would hate owning a home here - I'm glad we're renting. We had to haul our trailer up to our property in NH, because I refuse to pay $100 for storage for it, since we can't park it anywhere on our property or on the public thoroughfare. Any exterior changes to the house (if we owned it) would have to go through the HOA, even if the change is not noticable (i.e., replacing windows with the exact same look of windows). What a cluster.

I'm glad our place in NH doesn't have an HOA problem. We can pretty much build whatever house we want up there (and have) - as long as it meets State building codes. Fine by me.

We call them "Homeowner Nazis" in our household. Two years ago, I received a letter from the HOA after a "walk around" in the development, informing me that my mailbox post (a street side affair) was tilting too far from vertical towards the curb. I was instructed to fix this and they would inspect it again. Needless to say I was pissed, but I did go ahead and drive three shimming stakes into the ground to move its position a little. It was really in the ground firm and there was no indication that it had moved on its own off of vertical. I knew this anyway.

When I sent the letter back to them letting them know what I had done, I also mentioned that the post was in the same position as it has always been. We had this house built so this simply means that the post was "as delivered" by the builder to us. What this means is that I cannot alter its position because by doing so, I would be in violation of the HOA regs and if the HOA had instructed me to do this, they would also be in violation.. which is what I inferred in my letter to them. I received a nice "thank, the fix has been noted" return letter from them.