• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who's been to Ben Avery?

zx-twitch

imported post

I am taking my ccw course tomorrow at Ben Avery shooting complex. I drove out there today to make sure I know how to get there. But they were closed so I didn't get to look around. The sign says its one of the largest in the country. so who has been there and what do you think of it? I know every one around here seems to prefer scottsdale gun club and that speaks volumes about the place but what do yall think of Ben Avery?

Thoreau

imported post

Totally different ballgames in my opinion, and I've only been to Ben Avery once (with some friends from Jersey.) Went there because I wanted to show off the ar15 to them and use up some Wolf rounds that SGC doesn't allow on their range.

Overall it's definitely a nice facility. Lotsa space, LOTS of people, clean, well maintained, and super affordable. Can't really ask for much more. The only thing is ya have to get used to shooting in batches, and prepping your targets because its something like 15-20 minutes of EVERYONE shooting, then 5-10 minutes of ceasefire to change out targets. Rinse and repeat. I thought it was gonna be kinda annoying when I read about it prior to my visit, but its actually really nice to get that breather. It also made me focus a bit more on what I was doing rather than launching lead and praying.

NO idea how they do the classes there. I'd expect you'll have some time on one of the side ranges, or perhaps a dedicated section of the main range, followed by a whole lotta classtime. (VERY informative class btw. I recommend it to friends who don't even own guns, or ones that have zero intention of carrying just because the information is that valuable in my mind.)

zx-twitch

imported post

sounds like they have the same range set up I am used to in the army. and the class is all day and the shooting part will happen in the end. at 5pm I think