• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Necessary to get a resident state permit?

chris in va

imported post

My 6 month residency status is almost up here in KY, so I can schedule a CC class. Curious though, is it really necessary to get a KY state permit when I already have a non-resident FL permit that is valid here? Any particular advantage to having the KY one?

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

May save headaches with uninformed police officers.

Beyond that, none that I know of.

PT111

imported post

If you travel to one of the states that require you permit to be a resident permit it would be necessary. For instance SC only honors FL permits from FL residents but would honor your KY permit. I am not sure what other states require resident permits. Other than that I don't know of a necessary reason.

MgoBlue

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Right, Some places and leo's seem to give more weight to a resident permit.
What a crock! Seriously guys. State law is state law. I would hate to be a LEO wrongly arresting me for carrying with a valid non-resident permit from Florida. That officer's butt would be chewed up and his department/town would lose a lawsuit faster than you can say "idiots!"

As I've told you, Chris in VA, over at the Sig Forum, pay attention to what PT111 has said. I will not repeat the list on this forum, but there are 7 or 8 states which do not recognize Florida non-resident permits. If you can live with that, then you really don't need a KY permit . . . since the remaining 25 (or 26) states that recognize a KY permit also recognize a Florida non-resident permit. One plus side for keeping the Florida non-resident permit is that the state of Nevada recognizes it . . . and does not recognize a KY permit.

Reg

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
turbodog wrote:
Right, Some places and leo's seem to give more weight to a resident permit.
What a crock! Seriously guys. State law is state law. I would hate to be a LEO wrongly arresting me for carrying with a valid non-resident permit from Florida. That officer's butt would be chewed up and his department/town would lose a lawsuit faster than you can say "idiots!"
Sometimes avoiding the battle is a bigger victory than winning it.

MgoBlue

imported post

So, if a police officer stops you for speeding and tells you that he prefers trucks over that fuel-sipping sub-compact you're driving, are you going to head over and sell your car? Get real!

A police officer's likes or dislikes regarding WHICH legal permit a person wants to use carries no weight. There is no legal basis the officer can act. I don't know which state you hail from, Il Duce, but in Kentucky the law clearly recognizes a non-resident Florida permit. There is no gray area.

Your comment: "Sometimes avoiding the battle is a bigger victory than winning it" is interesting. If I know serious trouble is brewing around a corner, even if I am armed, I likely would keep walking down the street -- rather than confronting a battle I didn't have to take on. However, I'm not going to live my life tip-toeing around whether or not every single LEO (or individual, for that matter) LIKES how I am legally going about my life. Your comment is interesting because you made it on an Open Carry forum. Are you going to advise others not to carry openly if other individuals would prefer otherwise? If a LEO comes to you (while you are carrying) and tells you that he knows you can legally carry, but please put that gun away . . . what are you going to do?

I'm a black man. Should Rosa Parks not have stood (or, literally sat) her ground and moved to the back of the bus, simply because the bus driver (and later deputy) preferred her to move back there? And, in this case, she was violating a local law. In the case of the OP seeking an answer to whether his Florida non-resident permit is valid in KY even after he becomes a KY resident (which it entirely is), there is no ambiguity.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
So, if a police officer stops you for speeding and tells you that he prefers trucks over that fuel-sipping sub-compact you're driving, are you going to head over and sell your car? Get real!

A police officer's likes or dislikes regarding WHICH legal permit a person wants to use carries no weight. There is no legal basis the officer can act. I don't know which state you hail from, Il Duce, but in Kentucky the law clearly recognizes a non-resident Florida permit. There is no gray area.

Your comment: "Sometimes avoiding the battle is a bigger victory than winning it" is interesting. If I know serious trouble is brewing around a corner, even if I am armed, I likely would keep walking down the street -- rather than confronting a battle I didn't have to take on. However, I'm not going to live my life tip-toeing around whether or not every single LEO (or individual, for that matter) LIKES how I am legally going about my life. Your comment is interesting because you made it on an Open Carry forum. Are you going to advise others not to carry openly if other individuals would prefer otherwise? If a LEO comes to you (while you are carrying) and tells you that he knows you can legally carry, but please put that gun away . . . what are you going to do?

I'm a black man. Should Rosa Parks not have stood (or, literally sat) her ground and moved to the back of the bus, simply because the bus driver (and later deputy) preferred her to move back there? And, in this case, she was violating a local law. In the case of the OP seeking an answer to whether his Florida non-resident permit is valid in KY even after he becomes a KY resident (which it entirely is), there is no ambiguity.
Oh for ****'s sake. Please take what I say even further out of context and pull more shit out of your ass.

GodDAMN.