• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AMMO AMMO AMMO

ghostrider

imported post

T Vance wrote:
$18 for 100???!!! :what::celebrate

About a month ago Walmart charged me $32 for 100!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:
That's WWB.

Blazer Brass sells for $12.97 for a box of 50 when they have it. 9MM BB sells for $8.97 per 50. WWB has gone up much in the past couple years.

maahes

imported post

I also found ammo at the jackson walmart, 50rds of winchester 40S&W for 16.97 bought both boxes they had, they had a bunch of blazer for around $12 for a 50ct box. Id never shot blazer so I was going to get a box of it to try but they limited me to 2 boxes of the same caliber per day, oh well Ill head back today and see what they have.

T Vance

imported post

What's WWB? (World War Bush?, Who Wants Brandy?, What Would Bacon??? Well We Bombed?)

The brand I bought was Winchester?

edited: To add more cheese:?

ghostrider

imported post

maahes wrote:
I also found ammo at the jackson walmart, 50rds of winchester 40S&W for 16.97 bought both boxes they had, they had a bunch of blazer for around $12 for a 50ct box. Id never shot blazer so I was going to get a box of it to try but they limited me to 2 boxes of the same caliber per day, oh well Ill head back today and see what they have.
I've shot Blazer without any problems. Then again, Glocks eat pretty much everything. :D

malignity

imported post

Damnit, my best kept secret has been revealed! lol. Walmart does have the best ammo prices, hands down. They do have a 6 box limit however. (At least mine does). Please, for the love of all that is good though guys, don't horde ammo, only to sell it on craigslist for $30 a box. It drives me up the fricking wall when people do that. :banghead:

The ammo shortage is expected to end sometime this summer, and I've already noticed that more and more, I'm able to buy ammo at certain places. I'm not driving around to 4-5 places and laughing at places like Dunhams trying to sell Remmington UMC's for $26.99 a box.

Veritas

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Found some 40 Cal.CCI blazer ammo for $12/50 and $18/100 Taylor,Walmart. Nothing else to be found anywhere?
I'm reading this correctly... $12 for 50 and $18 for 100 .40 cal?

I don't shop at Walmart... but when I couldn't find anything anywhere I did break down recently and scored all the .40 they had in stock (a whopping 5 boxes) and each 50 round box cost me $22. Yes, it was WWB too. The real pisser is that I plinked through it all in about an hour.

Admitedly, I have not bought ammo in about 5 weeks. Haven't even looked at prices much. Have they really gone down this much?

Veritas

imported post

malignity wrote:
the 12 dollar boxes are Blazer Brass.
It shoots, right? Good enough for me. I generally load up defensive ammo for carry... but for plinking, it doesn't really matter to me. Heck... I've even carried plinking ammo around before. If push comes to shove, I'm not going to worry if my bullet is off its mark by an inch or two... nor whether it penetrates 4 inches or 6 inches.

ghostrider

imported post

Veritas wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Found some 40 Cal.CCI blazer ammo for $12/50 and $18/100 Taylor,Walmart. Nothing else to be found anywhere?
I'm reading this correctly... $12 for 50 and $18 for 100 .40 cal?

I don't shop at Walmart... but when I couldn't find anything anywhere I did break down recently and scored all the .40 they had in stock (a whopping 5 boxes) and each 50 round box cost me $22. Yes, it was WWB too. The real pisser is that I plinked through it all in about an hour.

Admitedly, I have not bought ammo in about 5 weeks. Haven't even looked at prices much. Have they really gone down this much?

As one poster already stated, it's Blazer Brass. WWB has not gone down. BB just never went up.

Veritas wrote:
It shoots, right? Good enough for me. I generally load up defensive ammo for carry... but for plinking, it doesn't really matter to me. Heck... I've even carried plinking ammo around before. If push comes to shove, I'm not going to worry if my bullet is off its mark by an inch or two... nor whether it penetrates 4 inches or 6 inches.
Not sure what you mean, but my understanding is that the reason to avoid plinking ammo for carry is not accuracy or even necessarily the difference between four or six inches. It's the potential for over penetration and the danger it entails. This is usually involved with higher pressure rounds. It is why the 9mm had such a bad rap for so many years as not being effective compared to the .45. The 9mm is such a fast round that it would go right through the target, and it's energy would be used up after exiting the target. The .45 (being a slower round) tended to not over penetrate, and thus dumped it's energy in the target. With the advent of modern bullet technology, that concern has subsided. However, using FMJ takes it back to the same problem. While I can't say for certain, since both .40 S&W, and 10mm are high pressure cartridges that travel at higher velocities, I wouldn't be surprised if they presented the same over penetration problem that 9mm has in the past when using FMJ.

Veritas

imported post

It wasn't a regular habit, carrying plinking ammo as defense. It was only for a day or so because I had plinked away all my defensive ammo and couldn't find more (right away) to replace it.

I think we can all agree that having no bullets is worse than loading up FMJ. :p