Thread: If you must leave your firearm in your vehicle...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

... you can take some additional steps to secure it.

Many of us will end up in a situation where we cannot OC/CC for whatever reason. Keeping a pair of handcuffs in your car can provide an additional layer of security for your handgun. It's not a failsafe, but it's better than just locking it in the glovebox or trunk.

As shown in the pictures, you can get one cuff to secure the frame and slide while leaving the other cuff free to secure to the vehicle. Possible places include seat rails, trunk hinges, steering column, and etc. Because you will be inserting the cuff through the trigger guard, always practice SAFETY and unload the firearm.

It's best to use a model that requires a non-standard key. I'm sure plenty of BGs have the common key. I purchased these locally from Buckstaff in Norfolk, aka http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/

"Rule 1: All Guns Are Always Loaded" - Jeff Cooper
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs - by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Post imported post

That's a good idea, if your pistol has such a space behind the trigger.

Or you could place a gun-safe in your rig:

http://www.gunsafes.com/

(I'm not affliated with thatWebsite, it's just thefirst one I Googled for you.)

Post imported post

While I applaud you on being more responsible than some others... your choice of lock was not that bright.

You would have been better off getting a thick cable lock and run it through the locked back slide and magazine well. As it stands now... I may not get your lower receiver.. but I am going to steal your slide and barrel.

Now you have half a gun and a pair of useless hand cuffs.

Banned

Post imported post

so do you and a badge. stupid cleo trix are for kidz

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    ...your choice of lock was not that bright... but I am going to steal your slide and barrel.
    Au Contraire, if you could get the slide off I'm sure you'd be able to just snap the chain and leave me with a cuff for one wrist!

The palm horn keeps the cuff in place behind the slide/hammer. This keeps the hammer in place and the slide from actuating, so everything is locked up tight.

But it's an excellent point, in that many handgun styles you would not fully be able to protect the slide with this method. The thick cable would work great on any style pistol.
    "Rule 1: All Guns Are Always Loaded" - Jeff Cooper
    On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs - by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Why not simply use the proper lock?

Thats my baby by the way. . .

Post imported post

I like the idea of the gunsafe. Bolt it into the trunk, or wherever works best for you.

Like one of these maybe, for example....

or this.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Post imported post

May not be practical, but I will remember it as the reason I have the cuffs to begin with.
    The fur is to protect the finish officer, I swear the gun is over 18 and consented!

Just wish you could get aftermarket glove boxes made of steal, to retrofit
    the stock plastic ones.
    Best thing about the old rx-7 boxes, you can easily make the lock box fit, and
    bolt down to the car body. You lost a little storage space, but made a very clean
    locked storage for the gun, and seats hid them from casual observers, add dark
    tint, and you can't see it at all.

Post imported post

I bought one of these Tuffy Products consoles. I don't need the outside seatbelt straps, so I'm going to mount them in the same place on the inside for to hold an IWB holster. They also have a couple flat boxes similar to the Gun Safe boxes, but with locks and no finger touchpads. One is made for laptops and the other is smaller and could bolt under a seat if you have enough clearance.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-88-01...2-12-wide.aspx
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

Handcuff locks are pretty easy to pick. I'd recommend a cable lock or safe.

-ljp