• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you must leave your firearm in your vehicle...

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

... you can take some additional steps to secure it.

Many of us will end up in a situation where we cannot OC/CC for whatever reason. Keeping a pair of handcuffs in your car can provide an additional layer of security for your handgun. It's not a failsafe, but it's better than just locking it in the glovebox or trunk.

As shown in the pictures, you can get one cuff to secure the frame and slide while leaving the other cuff free to secure to the vehicle. Possible places include seat rails, trunk hinges, steering column, and etc. Because you will be inserting the cuff through the trigger guard, always practice SAFETY and unload the firearm.

It's best to use a model that requires a non-standard key. I'm sure plenty of BGs have the common key. I purchased these locally from Buckstaff in Norfolk, aka http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/

2370670740102870260S500x500Q85.jpg

2748873450102870260S500x500Q85.jpg

2141596910102870260S500x500Q85.jpg

451932748873450102870260S500x500Q85.jpg

434232141596910102870260S500x500Q85.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

While I applaud you on being more responsible than some others... your choice of lock was not that bright.

You would have been better off getting a thick cable lock and run it through the locked back slide and magazine well. As it stands now... I may not get your lower receiver.. but I am going to steal your slide and barrel.

Now you have half a gun and a pair of useless hand cuffs.

999881.jpg

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
...your choice of lock was not that bright... but I am going to steal your slide and barrel.
Au Contraire, if you could get the slide off I'm sure you'd be able to just snap the chain and leave me with a cuff for one wrist! :lol:

The palm horn keeps the cuff in place behind the slide/hammer. This keeps the hammer in place and the slide from actuating, so everything is locked up tight.

But it's an excellent point, in that many handgun styles you would not fully be able to protect the slide :( with this method. The thick cable would work great on any style pistol.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

I like the idea of the gunsafe. Bolt it into the trunk, or wherever works best for you.

Like one of these maybe, for example....

ES412.jpg

or this.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

May not be practical, but I will remember it as the reason I have the cuffs to begin with.
The fur is to protect the finish officer, I swear the gun is over 18 and consented!:dude:

Just wish you could get aftermarket glove boxes made of steal, to retrofit
the stock plastic ones.
Best thing about the old rx-7 boxes, you can easily make the lock box fit, and
bolt down to the car body. You lost a little storage space, but made a very clean
locked storage for the gun, and seats hid them from casual observers, add dark
tint, and you can't see it at all.

mobeewan

imported post

I bought one of these Tuffy Products consoles. I don't need the outside seatbelt straps, so I'm going to mount them in the same place on the inside for to hold an IWB holster. They also have a couple flat boxes similar to the Gun Safe boxes, but with locks and no finger touchpads. One is made for laptops and the other is smaller and could bolt under a seat if you have enough clearance.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-88-016-series-ii-security-console-12-12-wide.aspx

Legba

imported post

Handcuff locks are pretty easy to pick. I'd recommend a cable lock or safe.

-ljp