• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cant wait for legel carry in National Forests

cdjspider

imported post

Just thought I'd vent a little bit about not being able to carry in National Forests "yet". It was such a nice day today I thought I would head up to the Mt Baker area for a little site seeing with the wife and to my surprise there where National Forest signs everywhere. For you out there that are thinking "well, duh" I'm still fairly new to the area and I thought it would just be a State Park which would be no problem. Anyways, I had planned on OC'ing while up there which would not work because I didn't feel like getting busted for carrying there. Luckily for me my holster also had a clip on it so at the next stop I had to undo my belt and switch to CC because there is no way I was going to disarm way out there.

Anyways, It was a beautiful, uneventful trip but for some reason I was extremely bothered by not being able to legally carry. :banghead:

p.s. Lack of foresight on my part, Sandles + Walking in snow = not smart. :uhoh:

/rant off

just_a_car

imported post

Um... you shot yourself in the foot, so to speak.

It's legal to carry in a National Forest, not in a National Park (at least, not until February 2010).

Phssthpok

imported post

Here you can find a map of NPS sites that will remain off-limits until Feb 2010.

As stated by others, National FORESTS are ok for carry.;)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Um... you shot yourself in the foot, so to speak.

It's legal to carry in a National Forest, not in a National Park (at least, not until February 2010).
Indeed, a National Forest is run by the Forest Service. A National Park is run by the Parks Service. BLM and Forest Service land are good for carry. National Park isn't at the moment.

cdjspider

imported post

Well I can only think of one word to accurately express myself now....."DOH!"

Well thanks for the clarification guys, glad I didn't disarm then:banghead:

grishnav

imported post

cdjspider wrote:
Well I can only think of one word to accurately express myself now....."DOH!"

Well thanks for the clarification guys, glad I didn't disarm then:banghead:
It's Okay. Didn't they just recently pass a bill to integrate the national forest into the NPS, anyway?

holeinhead

imported post

I'll probably be heading to Stehekin this summer. Obviously the new law won't be in effect then, thus carry in National Parks will still be illegal. I was wondering, does anyone know if the Lake Chelan National Recreational Area is considered National Park land?

Here's a map: http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/app...=North Cascades National Park Service Complex

My guess would be no, but thought I'd ask and see if someone knew for sure.

Weave

imported post

It is still not legal to carry loaded weapons in NPS adminstered lands including National Rec areas that are Administered by NPS which Lake Chelan is. There actually are National Rec Areas administered by other agencies though.