Thread: mutliple owner registration

Post imported post

Anyone know if more than one owner can be on the registraion for a gun? A father and son, or two partners for example?

Post imported post

I would venture only one person at a time can be listed as owner.

Post imported post

I don't know CA law, but couldn't you form an LLC or an S-Corp and make yourselves officers?

Post imported post

Hef wrote:
    I don't know CA law, but couldn't you form an LLC or an S-Corp and make yourselves officers?
    I thought of that.....but am ignorant on the subject. Wouldn't ONE person be required to sign as owner. Curious.

Post imported post

Are you talking FFL registration?

Only one person is listed on the form, right?

As mentioned... you could purchase as a corporation.. but that is still one person while the corporation maintains its own records.

Why the need for multiple people to be registered to one gun?

You can always do a private sale and list both people and the sales agreement.

Post imported post

There are some laws in california that require the gun be registered to you when in your possession, and if my son wanted to use it for instance.

Post imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
    There are some laws in california that require the gun be registered to you when in your possession, and if my son wanted to use it for instance.
    Oh, I did not know that!! :shock:

So when you say "registered"... you mean with the state?

Because the state cannot access FFL records as they are in book format as each FFL location in the US.

So the big question is.... will the state allow you to register a gun as a corporate asset. Then the members of the corporation could use it any time they wanted.

But.... cost vs cure.. creating your own corporation and paying the yearly dues will far exceed just buying a second gun.

Post imported post

I found something kind of relative to this on the AG's site:

1. prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).
      (PC section 12078(c))

2. prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is not an assault weapon, the transfer of a firearm between a husband and wife or registered domestic partners is exempt from the requirement to use a licensed dealer to perform the transfer. However, if the firearm is a handgun, the recipient must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days.
      (PC sections 12076(f), 12078(i))