• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Successful OC Meet & Greet Today May 30th

8th ID

imported post

Well, all went great at today's OC outing in Lexington. Nine people showed. We ate lunch at Cracker Barrel. Nothing was said by anyone outside the group whether positive or negative. The guy who seated us didn't seem to notice much or maybe he just wasn't concerned. Our waitress was friendly and it didn't seem to affect her at all. She actually joked about it once. We had to wait a few minutes inside for our table-we had a few looks but nothing else. As our lunch went on, I did notice a woman staring at a firearm on one of the guys as if she expected it to jump out of the holster and kill someone:what:. Just about the time we were leaving another woman came in and saw the pistols as she was being seated-I think she was surprised. When seated, I think she asked her server about us (not all of us could pass for LE). Her server pointed toward us and told her something, and I guess she was fine, because no LE showed up. Four of us did go to Sportsman's Warehouse after lunch and nothing to report from there either.

So, great outing:)It was good to meet all the guys.

langzaiguy

imported post

The meet & greet went great! Thanks to 8th ID for putting it together. Hopefully we can make this a monthly event.

8th: You forgot to mention that at Sportsman's Warehouse, we actually ran into the Turtle Man!

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I hope we can make this a regular event. I conceal carry 24/7, but I feel like I need to open carry more to do a little public outreach and education.

From previous experiences, I expected about what we had today, which is to say No Big Deal.

I think people take clues from each other to determine how to feel. When I open carry in a casual manner, it's not an issue. With some notable exceptions, the people who are hassled for open carrying are often people who would make others uncomfortable even when they aren't open carrying. I'm not criticizing anyone. but I'd like to see more people carrying openly in a casual manner, rather than fewer people trying a little too hard to call attention to open carry. I think the former would make a more positive impression.

I live a few miles away from Sportsman's Warehouse, so I wasn't surprised by the empty ammo shelves and reloading shelves there, either. I've about quit going in there, because they never have any ammo. Today they had .22 magnum and .17 HM2. They had a sign up saying that because of the national ammo shortage, they were out of 9mm, .40, .38 SPL, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .22 LR, .380, .45 ACP.... It would have been a lot simpler to just post a sign saying they are out of all ammo except a few boxes of really oddball stuff that nobody wants.

I'm looking forward to the next OC lunch. As I mentioned today, even though Cracker Barrel is usually packed on Saturday and it's difficult to stick around and talk when people are waiting for tables, it is good to meet near I-75 where travelers from some non-free states can experience a little culture shock and get a little second amendment education.

My wife just poked her head into my office and asked about the small portion on the blackberry cobbler she wanted me to bring her. I thought she would. You get to know someone after 17 years. :)

PS - Don't forget Guns And Garbage 2 on June 21st. www.GunsAndGarbage.com for details.

PPS - I still need to post a poll for dates for an open carry picnic at Jacobson Park, probably late June to mid July. Most of the shelters are already reserved, so the options are narrowing.

BigBubba

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
I hope we can make this a regular event. I conceal carry 24/7, but I feel like I need to open carry more to do a little public outreach and education.

From previous experiences, I expected about what we had today, which is to say No Big Deal.

I think people take clues from each other to determine how to feel. When I open carry in a casual manner, it's not an issue. With some notable exceptions, the people who are hassled for open carrying are often people who would make others uncomfortable even when they aren't open carrying. I'm not criticizing anyone. but I'd like to see more people carrying openly in a casual manner, rather than fewer people trying a little too hard to call attention to open carry. I think the former would make a more positive impression.

I live a few miles away from Sportsman's Warehouse, so I wasn't surprised by the empty ammo shelves and reloading shelves there, either. I've about quit going in there, because they never have any ammo. Today they had .22 magnum and .17 HM2. They had a sign up saying that because of the national ammo shortage, they were out of 9mm, .40, .38 SPL, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .22 LR, .380, .45 ACP.... It would have been a lot simpler to just post a sign saying they are out of all ammo except a few boxes of really oddball stuff that nobody wants.

I'm looking forward to the next OC lunch. As I mentioned today, even though Cracker Barrel is usually packed on Saturday and it's difficult to stick around and talk when people are waiting for tables, it is good to meet near I-75 where travelers from some non-free states can experience a little culture shock and get a little second amendment education.

My wife just poked her head into my office and asked about the small portion on the blackberry cobbler she wanted me to bring her. I thought she would. You get to know someone after 17 years. :)

PS - Don't forget Guns And Garbage 2 on June 21st. http://www.GunsAndGarbage.com for details.

PPS - I still need to post a poll for dates for an open carry picnic at Jacobson Park, probably late June to mid July. Most of the shelters are already reserved, so the options are narrowing.

If you are lookin for ammo, goon up Winchester Rd. next to Hardee's they just opened a Bud's Police Supply (not just for LE as the name would imply)and they have a fair stock of whatever guns or ammo you might need, not a whole lot of choices as to brands in certain calibers but enough ammo to get ya through til you can mail order what ya want. Or if you are all over town, Evan's Firearms and Archery over on Southland Dr. usually stays pretty well stocked on ammo.

And let me know when ya decide to do the Jacobson picnic too, i'd like to be there for that. Alsoi cant remember whereon the forum but someone mentioned media coverage would be a bad idea butlookin around on youtube it seems that the media gave positive coverage of the events in other states.

8th ID

imported post

I did fail to mention in the OP that when four of us were on Winchester RD. making our way to Sportsman's Warehouse two Lex. PD's cars made the turn as if they were going to Cracker Barrel. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just paranoid. They were driving normal, no lights, etc. I know a couple of the guys were still in the parking lot at CB, so maybe they will read this, and post if something happened.

spioi

imported post

I stayed in the lot & talked with kentuckyshiner for an hour. no cops showed up so maybe they went straight on. it was a good time. made better time going home than the drive out. tornadosnear town right now :shock:. ready to grab my shotgun and head to the basement

8th ID

imported post

spioi wrote:
I stayed in the lot & talked with kentuckyshiner for an hour. no cops showed up so maybe they went straight on. it was a good time. made better time going home than the drive out. tornadosnear town right now :shock:. ready to grab my shotgun and head to the basement
Hope no damage has happened. Yeah, a good time today. Glad you guys could make it down to Lex.

BigBubba

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
Besides, this is Lexington. You can't swing a cat without hitting a LEO in Lexington.
Swing a Cat ? :what:lol, never heard that before ... but thats very true, im in the area of I-75 at Winchester Rd. alot, always 3 or 4 LEOs in that area, mostly hangin out at the 2 gas stations on the corner there

Liberty4Ever

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Here are the links to KC3 and the KC3 blog that I mentioned
You should all consider joining.
I'm already a member of KC3 and have been for a couple of years. It's a fine organization providing good information. A lot of my googling takes me to the KC3 site. I didn't know about the blog, though.

Here are a few links to Kentucky firearms laws I've assembled:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/KYSL.pdf
http://www.gunlawguide.com/Kentucky.htm
http://kc3.com/open.htm
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/chapter.htm

By the way, the NRA-ILA link to Kentucky gun laws states that a Kentucky citizen needs a concealed carry license to have a gun concealed on or about their person (within arm's length) while at home. That doesn't sound right to me. I searched the Kentucky Revised Statutes and didn't find any source for the NRA's statement. Anyone know anything about this?

KY-RN-G

imported post

I thought in the CCDW class they mentioned carrying concealed on your own property, or at a private business with permission from the owner was legal without any license (the latter applies strictly to employees and the owner IRC).