Thread: Macon police destroy firearms

Post imported post

And the Nazi's burned the books....

For these guns, it's the end of the road

-More than 400 firearms destined to be chopped into pieces by a metal recycler are stored in coolers and rubber bins at the Macon police crime lab.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This isn't anything new, it's been going on for decades. Most of the long guns (rifles & shotguns) are confiscated from illegal hunters.

Post imported post

I know it's nothing new, but I feel that sometimes it is best to remind people of what is going on. for F***S sake, they sell vehicles and houses used in crimes, why not sell the LACs some nice firearms...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
    I know it's nothing new, but I feel that sometimes it is best to remind people of what is going on. for F***S sake, they sell vehicles and houses used in crimes, why not sell the LACs some nice firearms...
    I agree, selling the firearms would be a good way to generate revenue. But hey, that government for you, wasteful as always.

Post imported post

Wasteful as always indeed. Have you heard about DOD no longer selling old brass to American ammo manufaturers to reload and sell.

I personally do not really know what there are doing with it so I can not truely believe or back this claim. But, rumour has it they are grinding up the brass and selling it to China for cheap....so they say

Post imported post

I believe the DoD policy of destroying spent brass was rescinded weeks ago, in fact within just days of its implementation, because of the outcry.

Post imported post

old dog wrote:
    I believe the DoD policy of destroying spent brass was rescinded weeks ago, in fact within just days of its implementation, because of the outcry.
    If you got a link I'd love to see it.

Post imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
    old dog wrote:
    If you got a link I'd love to see it.
    Google is full of links. Here's the first one:

http://proliberty.com/observer/20090311.htm

Post imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
    Wasteful as always indeed. Have you heard about DOD no longer selling old brass to American ammo manufaturers to reload and sell.

I personally do not really know what there are doing with it so I can not truely believe or back this claim. But, rumour has it they are grinding up the brass and selling it to China for cheap....so they say
    Search brings up an old thread.....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...;highlight=DLA

This policy lasted a whole week. The scare-emails will last virtually forever.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Of the guns destroyed by the sheriff’s office, Sheriff Jerry Modena said most are guns used in crimes. “We don’t want a weapon that’s been involved in a crime to go back on the street,” he said.

Before a gun is destroyed, officers run a check through the National Crime Information Center to determine the weapon wasn’t stolen. If no information comes back, the officer then runs a trace through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Pettis said.

“Usually we’ll wait at least 90 days, but sometimes it’s longer,” he said.
    For guns used in crimes, Modena said deputies wait until after the criminal case is adjudicated in court and then submit a request to a Superior Court judge to sign for an order that the gun be destroyed.
    While none of the guns are sold, Modena said some of the guns are kept by the sheriff’s office for deputies’ use. Typically, the guns that are kept are used by deputies investigating drug crimes and working undercover, he said.
    They do have a valid point. Obviously you wouldn't want a murder weapon to end up in the hands of a citizen. What would happen if they found that another crime was committed with that weapon? Now they have to determine if the weapon was used by two different people who both had access to the weapon.

I think they could at least break the weapons down and sell off parts that are not used when identifying a firearm, pretty much everything except for the barrel and possibly the firing pin.

400 firearms is a drop in the bucket though so it's not a big deal, and from what it sounds like they check to make sure none of the firearms are stolen before they destroy them.