• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macon police destroy firearms

jerg_064

imported post

I know it's nothing new, but I feel that sometimes it is best to remind people of what is going on. for F***S sake, they sell vehicles and houses used in crimes, why not sell the LACs some nice firearms...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
I know it's nothing new, but I feel that sometimes it is best to remind people of what is going on. for F***S sake, they sell vehicles and houses used in crimes, why not sell the LACs some nice firearms...
I agree, selling the firearms would be a good way to generate revenue. But hey, that government for you, wasteful as always.

jerg_064

imported post

Wasteful as always indeed. Have you heard about DOD no longer selling old brass to American ammo manufaturers to reload and sell.

I personally do not really know what there are doing with it so I can not truely believe or back this claim. But, rumour has it they are grinding up the brass and selling it to China for cheap....so they say

old dog

imported post

I believe the DoD policy of destroying spent brass was rescinded weeks ago, in fact within just days of its implementation, because of the outcry.

wrightme

imported post

jerg_064 wrote:
Wasteful as always indeed. Have you heard about DOD no longer selling old brass to American ammo manufaturers to reload and sell.

I personally do not really know what there are doing with it so I can not truely believe or back this claim. But, rumour has it they are grinding up the brass and selling it to China for cheap....so they say
Search brings up an old thread.....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=23072&forum_id=4&highlight=DLA

This policy lasted a whole week. The scare-emails will last virtually forever.

N00blet45

imported post

Of the guns destroyed by the sheriff’s office, Sheriff Jerry Modena said most are guns used in crimes. “We don’t want a weapon that’s been involved in a crime to go back on the street,” he said.

Before a gun is destroyed, officers run a check through the National Crime Information Center to determine the weapon wasn’t stolen. If no information comes back, the officer then runs a trace through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Pettis said.

“Usually we’ll wait at least 90 days, but sometimes it’s longer,” he said.
For guns used in crimes, Modena said deputies wait until after the criminal case is adjudicated in court and then submit a request to a Superior Court judge to sign for an order that the gun be destroyed.
While none of the guns are sold, Modena said some of the guns are kept by the sheriff’s office for deputies’ use. Typically, the guns that are kept are used by deputies investigating drug crimes and working undercover, he said.
They do have a valid point. Obviously you wouldn't want a murder weapon to end up in the hands of a citizen. What would happen if they found that another crime was committed with that weapon? Now they have to determine if the weapon was used by two different people who both had access to the weapon.

I think they could at least break the weapons down and sell off parts that are not used when identifying a firearm, pretty much everything except for the barrel and possibly the firing pin.

400 firearms is a drop in the bucket though so it's not a big deal, and from what it sounds like they check to make sure none of the firearms are stolen before they destroy them.