• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Gun (trigger) locks?

jbone

imported post

I was given a lock when I picked up my CPL at Arlington PD 18 months ago.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My personal opinion is that Trigger Locks are unsafe. They also give you a false sense of security. It has been shown that many kids can easily remove them without the key and they have even been known to case ND's.

If my gun is not on my person, it's locked up in a case or my gun safe. Those are the only things I trust.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
My personal opinion is that Trigger Locks are unsafe. They also give you a false sense of security. It has been shown that many kids can easily remove them without the key and they have even been known to case ND's.

If my gun is not on my person, it's locked up in a case or my gun safe. Those are the only things I trust.
Good call I'll have to do that if I ever have kids or keep more than one gun with me.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

I just got my CPLat the Renton PD office about a month ago and got a trigger lock did they say if they completely stopped or were just out of them.

When I talked to the old lady who does the finger printing, she mentioned that it takes them a few weeks to get more in because so many people were applying for their CPL, maybe they were just out and will have more in later.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A couple years ago at the county fair the Sheriff had a booth staffed with deputies handing out citizen safety brochures and cable locks for handguns. I asked for a cable lock, but left when they asked me to put down my name and address. The clipboard they shoved at me was already half full of willing registrants.

amlevin

imported post

The only gun locks I have were provided at the time of purchase (which I believe is a requirement). They have started to fill up my junk drawer.

I might consider using one if I were to be shipping the gun in airline baggage, or some other similar situation, but the rest of the time there is no way I'd put one on any of my guns.

My handgun is very safe when in my holster. When it's not there it's close at hand. My "reserve" supply of handguns are kept in the safe along with the rifles.

As far as I am concerned the most important safety device is the "Brain". When it works right accidents do not occur.