• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

blacks and guns

spioi

imported post

I'm currently in a debate about middle class whites only showing up to pro 2A marches. I'm told you'll not see a black person show up because only whites are concerned with the right to own a gun just because they can. I'm saying just because you don't see any black gun owners at marches doesen't mean it's a middle class white thing. they say blacks are concerned with more important things and not so much gun rights. sorry about the title. I should have said blacks and the 2nd amendment

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

I lol'd at the title.

So what exactly is your point and who said blacks don't care about the second amendment?

First off, I do see a fair number of black people at ranges and local shops. If you aren't seeing them it may just be a regional thing.

Secondly, take a look around you at the type of extreme-right wack jobs that make up a decent section of this community. Ask yourself, if you were black would you want to be hanging around with a bunch of closet KKK bigots or the stereotypical 2A supporter (that stereotypeexists with good reason)? The large majority of blacks are moderate to liberal leaning, even the ones that are 2A supporters. When you look around and see how closed minded many in this community are, why would anyone that's not equally wacked want to hang around with them?

If there is a difference in black vs. white in this community, it's merely a visual display of political ideology. You can't see moderate white people that choose not to hang around with the extremists, because you simply can't see peoples' political leanings. But when you throw black folk into the mix, you already know that most are at least moderates. So when you don't see them around, it's easy to understand exactly what political groupsare beingalienateddue tothe extremist nut job stuff.

It's funny, you know, because I just invited one of my black friends to the range. He just laughed at me, and he didn't laugh because he wasn't interested in guns.

spioi

imported post

what the person is trying to say that I'm arguing with is the only people you see at demonstrations or get togethers are middle class whites who want to whine about their right to own guns just because they can own one. I'm trying to tell her just because you don't see other races or lower class ppl at get togethers doesen't mean it's a middle class white thing. she challenged me to show her any black or other race of ppl that care about their right to own a gun. she doesen't believe there are any.she thinks fighting for 2A rights to be able to bear arms "because it's your god given right" is a silly reason and only done by middle class ppl.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spioi wrote:
what the person is trying to say that I'm arguing with is the only people you see at demonstrations or get togethers are middle class whites who want to whine about their right to own guns just because they can own one. I'm trying to tell her just because you don't see other races or lower class ppl at get togethers doesen't mean it's a middle class white thing. she challenged me to show her any black or other race of ppl that care about their right to own a gun. she doesen't believe there are any.she thinks fighting for 2A rights to be able to bear arms "because it's your god given right" is a silly reason and only done by middle class ppl.

1 - remind her that fighting for 1A, 4A, 5A, 8A rights "because they are your God given rights is a silly reason and only done by middle class people" also.

2 - ask her to Google "Black Man With A Gun"

3 - ask her if she is relying on news photos/video to support her assertion that blacks do not show up at demonstrations for 2A rights, or if she attends those demonstrations in person to count the number of non-whites present.

4 - ask her if she considers it "whining" to demonstrate to preserve her right to choose whether or not to get an abortion, or to be free to speak her mind to the government, or to vote, or any of the other "rights?" How come seeking to preserve 2A rights is always whining while dealing with all the other amendments is necessary to keep the government in line?

stay safe.

skidmark

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

spioi wrote:

Well stop and think about it for asecond, is she actually wrong? Throw in lower and lower-middleclass white people and she might have a point. Then go back to what I said...

If there is a difference in black vs. white in this community, it's merely a visual display of political ideology. You can't see moderate white people that choose not to hang around with the extremists, because you simply can't see peoples' political leanings. But when you throw black folk into the mix, you already know that most are at least moderates. So when you don't see them around, it's easy to understand exactly what political groupsare beingalienateddue tothe extremist nut job stuff.

There ARE black pro-2A people out there, but there are also reasons that you don't see them around the rest of this "group"or out being vocal. Just think of the pro-2A stereotype, that's not someone black people associate with, and for good reason. They've been alienated because of the the type of people that make up a good sized portion of the pro-2A movement.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think part of the reason we don't see members of the Black community participating in 2A activities with whites is the "Oreo" factor. Any time blacks side with white people on any issue, their peers ridicule them and accuse them of being Oreo's, or some other durogitory. And black leaders like Sharpton and Jackson keep fanning the flames of racism.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
AWDstylez your painting 2A supporters as racist white right wingers and with no statistical evidence to support your claim.
Seems to be a hobby of his.

Hobby? Its his sole purpose in life: To paint anyone that disagrees with him with a broad stroke of the brush asbeing Right Wing KKK members... Just look in his previous posts where that is EXACTLY what he did to me and others.

This clown doesn't even KNOW ME, yet he asked if I was latefor a meeting and showed a photo of a KKK march.

What a moron...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Hobby? Its his sole purpose in life: To paint anyone that disagrees with him with a broad stroke of the brush asbeing Right Wing KKK members... Just look in his previous posts where that is EXACTLY what he did to me and others.

AWDstylez wrote:
Secondly, take a look around you at the type of extreme-right wack jobs that make up a decent section of this community.

Yea, broad brush, I definitely said EVERY LAST 2A SUPPORTER!!!!111!!1!!!

:quirky

I'll ask you a better question. Why does the redneck gun nut stereotype exist? For the same reason as every other stereotype, it's grounded in reality. Does it cover everyone? Not by a long shot. It covers more people on this site than it does in the general 2A populace, but it's stillnot EVERYONE. You also ENTIRELY missed the point that it's MODERATES AND LIBERALS that are being alienated, not BLACKS. Blacks just happen to be moderates and liberals most of the time.

The point is, the stereotype exists, whether you agree with it or not, it's there. You can reinforce it with the general right-wing nut jobbery seen often on this site or you can attempt to break it down (through more use of intelligence and less use of GOP/Alex Jonesrhetoric, zomg Obama is communist muslim, zomg sotomayor is the devil, etc), which would be a crushing blow to the anti's and also stop the alienation of groups like blacks and homosexuals.

Hef

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I lol'd at the title.

So what exactly is your point and who said blacks don't care about the second amendment?

First off, I do see a fair number of black people at ranges and local shops. If you aren't seeing them it may just be a regional thing.

Secondly, take a look around you at the type of extreme-right wack jobs that make up a decent section of this community. Ask yourself, if you were black would you want to be hanging around with a bunch of closet KKK bigots or the stereotypical 2A supporter (that stereotypeexists with good reason)? The large majority of blacks are moderate to liberal leaning, even the ones that are 2A supporters. When you look around and see how closed minded many in this community are, why would anyone that's not equally wacked want to hang around with them?

It's funny, you know, because I just invited one of my black friends to the range. He just laughed at me, and he didn't laugh because he wasn't interested in guns.
Are your arms tired from painting with such a broad brush?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The red-neck, stupid, white-trash gun toting stereo-type exists because the majority of the main stream media is and has been based in the leftist areas of the Northeast and gun ownership in the south, southern midwest, and non-coastal west is some 3X what it is in the MSM's backyard. Those major media outlets already think that everything not on the west coast or the northeast coast is just flyover country (excepting Chicago and Detroit apparently) with a bunch of stupid, uneducated, bible-thumping hicks who thwart their agendas while clinging to their God and guns. Some 40 years of hammering by those media sources have created and reinforced that stereotype for 2 generations of Americans.

By the way, that stereotype is rarely used by natives of the south, midwest and non-coastal west outside of liberal urban areas. In other words, it is a stereotype that is used where it was created.

wrightme

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

AWDstylez wrote:
Secondly, take a look around you at the type of extreme-right wack jobs that make up a decent section of this community.

Yea, broad brush, I definitely said EVERY LAST 2A SUPPORTER!!!!111!!1!!!

:quirky

I'll ask you a better question. Why does the redneck gun nut stereotype exist? For the same reason as every other stereotype, it's grounded in reality. Does it cover everyone? Not by a long shot. It covers more people on this site than it does in the general 2A populace, but it's stillnot EVERYONE. You also ENTIRELY missed the point that it's MODERATES AND LIBERALS that are being alienated, not BLACKS. Blacks just happen to be moderates and liberals most of the time.

The point is, the stereotype exists, whether you agree with it or not, it's there. You can reinforce it with the general right-wing nut jobbery seen often on this site or you can attempt to break it down (through more use of intelligence and less use of GOP/Alex Jonesrhetoric, zomg Obama is communist muslim, zomg sotomayor is the devil, etc), which would be a crushing blow to the anti's and also stop the alienation of groups like blacks and homosexuals.
You haven't even shown that ANY of "this community" is made up of the stereotypical redneck that you claim. Seems quite intolerant of you regardless.

How would Danbus view your comment that blacks and guns don't fit in our society?

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Blacks are Second Amendmend supporters and they also have the Right to Keep and Bear Arms . Many Blacks are very conservative Republicans as was Martin Luther King Jr.

A free man owns guns and slaves do not .

George Romney marched with MLK and MLK wanted Romney to become President .

R a Z o R

Banned

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, for all of those attacking AWDstylez for saying something basically reasonable (I love how you all do that, but nobody ever takes him to task on his economics! Low-hanging fruit, huh? :lol:), maybe you all missed this thread.

AWDstylez is basically right about this one, and if it takes someone not at risk of being accused a "troll" to say it, then so be it.

Nearly every stereotype exists for a reason. Being a member of the group subject to this particular stereotype, it seems to me a better response to disprove the stereotype through actions, rather than loudly crying about prejudicial mistreatment.

Or else, we will represent just another case of "The lady doth protest too much..."

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez is basically right about this one, and if it takes someone not at risk of being accused a "troll" to say it, then so be it.

Strange how one decides which extreme to defend . I am glad the U.S.A. is just alittle right of center and not left wing wacko fruitcakes .IMO

Obama's currupt decision 29MAY2009 to dismiss despite clear evidence including : MSM video , police record , victims testimony , successful prosecution ... Obama has moved to dismiss this case . You just can't make this stuff up .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOKnJ0oXYY

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Make what up? A bunch of young kids wasting their time hanging out wearing uniforms which intimidate nobody and engender even less respect?

That's really newsworthy. :quirky