• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change Your Laws!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Nytedrgn wrote:
The township I live in has an open carry prohibition as well...I'm going to look up the exact ordinance and bring it up at the next meeting...which I believe is tomorrow. Then on to the county board since I believe dodge county still has an OC ban on the books as well.

Or should I wait till next month and publicize my intentions to have the Lowell ordinance recinded, hoping to get more supporters?
All you would really need to do is inform the localityof Stat. 66.049 and explain that it puts them in a highly actionable position (read lawsuit)if they try to enforce that null & void firearms ordinance by arresting an individual. Money talks!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree that one should contact their elected representatives first. It worked for me! I'm sure it won't work in all cases and maybe I just got lucky. I myself was surprised to getthe answer I was looking for so fast. I used to work with my alderman and maybe that had something to do with it. In any case, it just goes to show that one person can make a difference and I would hope in encourages those who have these preempted ordinances on the books to act.

I'd also agree that pointing to the cost couldn't hurt. I'm sure the individual officers wouldn't like to be sued either.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman, I called the Milwaukee CountySheriff's office and they said they will enforce it, as long as it is on the books. I didn't hear it from any other authority besides them. Thanks for risking your butt in the parks I hope you still carry without confrontation. However if you are arrested under the ordinance the max fine I believe is 800$ but I'd hope you might be able to defend yourself in courtwithout an attorny as many can see it is in clear violation of the pre-emption statute.

Ben

Nytedrgn

imported post

so I wrote up and printed 6 Notices I planned on posting in common areas in town and went to show my father/landlord...an NRA life member thinking he'd be happy to see me taking action to further the cause.....and was told he did not want me posting them or going about this in any way. And knowing him if I defy him My fiance, 6yo daughter and myself would be either homeless or on his bad side for a long time I have no other choice but to bow out till I procure some other housing arrangement.

I'm pissed:cuss:

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Chief Flynn said police would arrest anyone in the city who open carried. Certain members carried down State Street and other places without incident to prove the point Flynn can't back it up.
Half true. Chief Flynn didn't say he would arrest, he said he would "put them on the ground and then decide what their rights are". However, I think other officers at various municipalities have still claimed post AG memo that they would arrest for OC. They haven't either.

But you are correct in that they didn't do THAT either. Bluff was called.

As for the assumed park "ban". You are also correct. The only reason I have ever heard on this forum for people not to carry in a county park was a police officers statement to a forum member. (and the paranoid deductions of other forum members) (note, that is not a cheap shot, many of us have a proclivity to be paranoid with just cause of the po po's)

We definitely should know by now that the police have no obligation to tell the truth, inform you of the law, and routinely use fear as a tactic. And it works because no one challenges it.

I've heard from no legal authority that the park ban is not pre-empted.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nytedrgn wrote:
so I wrote up and printed 6 Notices I planned on posting in common areas in town and went to show my father/landlord...an NRA life member thinking he'd be happy to see me taking action to further the cause.....and was told he did not want me posting them or going about this in any way. And knowing him if I defy him My fiance, 6yo daughter and myself would be either homeless or on his bad side for a long time I have no other choice but to bow out till I procure some other housing arrangement.

I'm pissed:cuss:
I don't live up in your neck of the woods or I would post them myself. I understand your situation and applaud you for your action, family comes first. It sucks but you made the right call bro.

32HR MAG

imported post

Would they not have to make new laws also, for hunting, if they stopped OC?I can OC down the road my parents live on right to a favorite small game hunting spot .If the laws wouldno longer permit OC.I would more than likely have to step off the road before loading.Not a huge inconvenience,but something I haven't had to think about.Or would I have to CC till I am off the road?

AaronS

imported post

If the State has a carry ban in its parks, is not Milwaukee able to do the same in its parks? If I could carry in the parks, I think I would start to use our parks a lot more. I would start going to the dog parks a lot, thats for sure. I cant wait for all this to become clear. Between the parks, and schools, well over 50% of Milwaukee is a "No Carry" zone...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Until some one takes the issue to the SSC it will not change. If your city or county has an ordinance against it they can enforce the ordinance. It is up to you if you want to fight the good fight or not and take it all the way to the SSC. To be honest that is what it will take to change things here in Wisconsin.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J. Gleason I hope your not right! lol What we need now is help. We need to light up the phones of the local board members, and of the DA. I have doen this and noticed I am ruffling some feathers. But until we get alott more peoplecontacting our elected officials and asking why laws such as Milwaukee County Ordinance 47.05 will still be enforced we are only talking amongst ourselves. We must DEMAND there removal. Also what we need is another memo from the AG reafirming the pre-emption statute and requesting those that are in confliction either remove or nullify the law.

Okay but I have a question too. Why hasn't the NRA picked up on this!!??? I mean seriously? You would think it would be like shooting fish in a barrell.

Ben

AaronS

imported post

I did not know that the NRA did anything in Wisconsin...

Ok, its not that bad, but I am shocked that the NRA is not helping us out as well.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was told by a member of the New Berlin PD that the city is working on revising their ordinances to conform to the state's preemption law. NB has an ordinance prohibiting guns in city parks.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good PrvtSchultz! It's good to see we have some cities that have common sense in Wisconsin. While New Berlin's doing that my city is trying to enact an ordinance banning carry at many places in violation of statute 66.0409.

Ben

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Than y'all are just going to need to move up here to the northwoods where the police chiefand town supervisor arethere to make sure your rights are protected, and not them trying to find a way to legally limit your rights.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Iattented my city council meeting tonight and the firearms ordinances were on the docket. The first public reading of the new ordinances will be on the 22nd if I remember correctly. I'll make sure to have ammo (figuratively speaking) for that incase I have to speak; especially if it'sin frontof anyrabid anti's.:D I'm going to lull them into a false sense of security by pointing out all of the places people can't carry. I think I'll make a nice map of my town with the school zones.