• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Picnic-Possible Dates/Locations

Fred

imported post

8th ID wrote:
I could do something in Lex at CB some time.
CB again doesn't sound bad. I'm in ifsomething firms up. Any one got word if Mitch's place was going to work out for the BBQ?

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I should check in more often! Work and life have been busy lately. I was planning on getting serious about an open carry picnic right after Guns And Garbage, which was yesterday. I did some research about Jacobson Park shelter availability and came here to start a thread and found this one had been going for three weeks.

The 1 and 2 shelters at Jacobson are booked on Saturdays and Sundays through at least September. These are the high traffic shelters near the lake. I thought they'd be good if the goal was to do a little public education while we have a fun picnic. Almost all Friday evenings are available, and other weekdays as well if anyone wants to have an evening picnic.

Shelter 3 has some Saturday and Sunday slots available in August and September. Ditto for shelter 4, which is also available Sunday the 5th of July. Shelter 5 has some Saturdays and Sundays open in August and September, and is also available Sunday, July 26th. Shelter 6 has some Saturdays and Sundays in August and September.

If this is more of a social function and less a public education event, then we could have a picnic anywhere. Smaller Lexington parks like Constitution Park on the north side have barbecue grills and don't need reservations. If someone is offering private property for a picnic with an adjacent shooting range, that's a very tempting offer.

I registered online with the Lexington Parks Department. What a hassle. In a few days, when they approve my registration, I can reserve a shelter if we decide to go that route. Government....
:banghead:

Liberty4Ever

imported post

One other thing.... As kind as TheMrMitch was to offer the use of his property, Hodgenville is a fairly long drive for those of us around Lexington. We might get better attendance if we had a picnic closer to a larger population center, and it would definitely provide a lot more opportunity to educate the public about their right to keep and bear arms.

I have a good one page handout that explains the federal, state and local gun laws in Kentucky. That could be a handy educational tool if someone was sure an open carry picnic wasn't legal but didn't know the laws off the top of their head. I've seen that a bit too often. People think they know the law but all they really know is what's usual, not what's legal. We could show them the law and do some educating.

8th ID

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
I have a good one page handout that explains the federal, state and local gun laws in Kentucky.
Liberty-Thanks for my copy you gave me yesterday at the G&G event. It's VERY informative and I can see myself showing/giving them to the uneducated. I have already made copies...many copies. thanks!

And a picnic in Lex. at Jacobson sounds great.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Can you also include KRS 237.110 and 020 and possibly chapter 527 here? The former is particularly important.
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look and revise as appropriate, and post a notice when the changes are made (hopefuly tonight).

Now on to the original topic. Dates for the OC Picnic!

I checked and Saturdays and Sundays are booked for the Jacobson Park shelters through July. There are three shelters available on Saturday, 29AUG09. The following Sunday dates are available in August:

2 (1)
9 (2)
16 (2)
23 (4)
30 (3)

The numbers in parentheses indicate how many shelters were available a couple of days ago.

At Shilito Park (out Nicholasville Road, just inside Man O War Blvd), all shelters are booked in July.

At Masterson Station Park (out Leestown Pike, aka West Main Street, about two miles past New Circle Road), there was one shelter available on Saturday, 25JUL09, and one shelter on Sunday 19JUL09.

At Veterans Park (Tates Creek Road, outside Man O War Blvd) there was a shelter available on Saturday, 18JUL09 and Saturday, 25JUL09, and the following shelters available on Sunday:

12 (3)
19 (4)
26 (4)

I'll go ahead and state my preference, but I'm of course open to whatever the group decides. I'd like to go with Jacobson, preferably on a Saturday that doesn't conflict with any holiday, even if it means waiting until August. I figure we need a month to properly promote the Open Carry picnic anyway, and I like Jacobson because it's pretty much Lexington's premier park. I always saw the Open Carry Picnic as something we'd do for public education and the socializing is just a nice side benefit for me. I want to be open carrying, loud and proud, right out in the open. I have no reason to be ashamed, and I want the image that there isn't anything at all wrong with open carrying in any city park. We're completely legal and right to be there responsibly practicing our right to keep and bear arms, and Jacobson Park sends the message that OC is OK in LEX. From a public relations perspective I think Jacobson Park would make the strongest pro-2A statement.

I was goofy busy getting ready for the 4th of July all of last week and I've had these shelter availability dates sitting on my desk for several days but never could find ten minutes to post them.

BTW - Check out what I did for Independence Day (liberty related, but not directly gun related). I was Big Bad Uncle Sam, like Lexington has never seen before!

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=21306

8th ID

imported post

HOLY CRAP!! BIG BAD UNCLE SAM:celebrateI bet the mayor and others were about to CRAP on themselves:shock:. That was awesome!!

Anyway-back on the picnic-I would also prefer Jacobson Park. I'm OK with Saturday or Sunday. But a Sunday would work best. I think what you're going to have to do is just put a date out there or set up a poll with possible dates.

BigBubba

imported post

29AUG09 at Jackobson sounds like the best plan to me, dont get much more public than Jackobson and it gives people plenty of time to plan for it, and its not far from I-75 for our out of town friends

Liberty4Ever

imported post

The only reason I suggested Saturday was because I thought attendance might be better, but I'm clearly not good at determining that. I defer to you guys.

The upcoming weekend is out for me, and I'm busy 1AUG09, but otherwise, I think I'm OK with anything.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

It looks like the consensus is building for August 29th. Currently, Jacobson Shelters 4, 5, 6, and 7 are available on that date, but shelter 4 is huge and rents for almost twice the money. I'd like to get #6, because it's close to a kid's play area (not the Creative Playground, but still a fun little area for the kids), it's close to the lake, and it's reasonably close to restrooms. It's not out in the boonies. It's centrally located. People would see the open carry picnic, so there would be some educational value. Here's a map of the park.

http://www.lexingtonky.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=2936

How long should we leave this open to comments and votes before calling a date and reserving a shelter?

Is there a good way to notify people who'd like to have some input but haven't seen this thread?

If it's on a Saturday, what's a good time for a picnic?

8th ID

imported post

#6 sounds great! I would suggest 2 p.m. for a time. A little after lunch-maybe there could be some social time before we eat, etc. Just a suggestion. Also, how much does the shelter cost? And shouldn't we ask for a little help with the shelter fee? I'm all up for helping out with the fee. As far as getting the word out-well...maybe starting another thread on here with the actual date...

BigBubba

imported post

of the ones that are available #6 looks like our best bet, wish we could get #1 or #2 to get a lil more traffic past us if we want alot of public attention, and the $35fee could easily split up over a few people, $5 over7 people would cover it, i'll cover $10 if nobody seems to want to chip in

Maybe we need to start a new thread with the 29AUG09 date and a picture of that map so people can pin point the event

edited to add: the 2pm time 8th ID suggested sounds about right. What are we gonna do about food and drinks? Cant have a picnic without food and drinks. When I get to work tommorrow I'll check the prices on a bunch of paper plates and plasic cups. Best bet on the food IMO would be if anyone has a sam's club membership to get em there or we could have people bring stuff.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I'm glad it's finally happening. I'll cover the cost of the shelter. No strings attached.

For food, everyone bring something and we share? There's always way too much food at these sorts of events. Maybe there will be a lot of KFC and Kroger's potato salad, but is that so terrible? We could start a signup sheet for food, but I'm hoping that this can spread far beyond just this forum. I'm hoping we can all invite family, friends, co-workers and neighbors. I'll get the word out to a couple of liberty groups. They would enjoy exercising their right to keep and bear arms. I'll probably try promoting this via the gun stores again, although that didn't work very well the last time.

I can make fliers if anyone knows a good place to post them. I'll even print them in bulk and mail them to anyone who would like to promote the event.

Any ideas on how to promote this far and wide and get an impressive turnout?

Too bad billboards are so expensive. An open carry picnic billboard ad would be awesome.

BigBubba

imported post

Liberty4Ever wrote:
Too bad billboards are so expensive. An open carry picnic billboard ad would be awesome.

Yeah it would be. ... I'll take some of those fliers to post around, some grocery stores, laundromats, cigarette stores, maybe some gas stations will let us post em. And any internet forum we can find. Wonder if we could get enough people to make it big enoughto invite a radio station to do a remote or somethin?

edited to add: just a suggestion on the fliers, if anyone is good with photoshop, drawing, or graphic design .. a picnic table cloth (checkered) with a plate of food and a drink in a plastic cupand a gun laying next to them. "OpenCarry.org brings youCentral Ky's Gun's and Grub !"

spioi

imported post

If I lived closer I'd pass out fliers to everyone I know. I'll pass the word out and offer ride to anyone who wants to go up here. I got brats and metts I can bring.