Thread: State Street open carry walk

Post imported post

After reading about the post about the carry rally at the capitol being cancelled I got to thinking about maybe just doing a walk down State Street in Madison and maybe down towards the capitol. From what I read on the rally posts it appeared that we would need permits to rally at the capitol which I dont understand. I thought we have the right to organize so why not organize away from the capitol where we would not need a permit or permission or much of anything. Would anyone be interested in something like this? Maybe set this up for the end of June on a saturday afternoon.

Post imported post

Since I live in Madison, I'm ready to OC anytime here. So far I've encountered no problems. Downtown Madison has no school zones. We don't need any organized event to take a walk on State Street or around the capitol building.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    Since I live in Madison, I'm ready to OC anytime here.* So far I've encountered no problems.* Downtown Madison has no school zones.* We don't need any organized event to take a walk on State Street or around the capitol building.
    Great post Shotgun,
    We need for people to see us doing "normal" things and just happening to be carrying a sidearm. Rallies, marches and things of that nature draw attention to the "gun" and that is not helpful. All of us who have been carrying on a regular basis and getting the non-reaction to our activities that we have been getting is because we doing and acting like normal people. Keep the focus on the rights issue and not on the gun.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

The public needs to see us going about our regular business....no need for a rally. Rallies can be effective to bring attention to a particular issue, but since Van Hollen has taken care of the clarification for us, there is nothing to rally about IMO.

Centurion

Post imported post

Yeah, I mean I love to meet fellow OC'ers, but it seems like some people still want the security blanket of having an event where everyone is OC'ing to feel comfortable. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting, but I think the thing we need to ALL be doing right now is OC'ing in our normal activities.

People who are afraid to OC and looking for a 'group carry' event need to just conquer their own fears and OC.

Its CLEAR to me that the public is aware this is lawful. Its clear to me that the public doesn't "freak out", and with the dozens and dozens of us OC'ing on a regular basis and not a SINGLE interaction with the police...

There is no one denying you your rights except your own fear.

The other 2 issues we have are the vehicle carry and school zone. And perhaps school zone most of all (though vehicle carry restrictions are a p.i.t.a.)

I'll save my thoughts on those for another post, because I think its important, but if the point of a picnic or rally is a security blanket, people should just get out and OC.

Post imported post

I have been out on a regular basis carrying but I was trying to come up with a way to get other people to do it on a regular basis. I was thinking that a picnic or rally or walk with other people will make it easy for other people to get started. I am still waiting to be out in public and see someone else carrying.

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Yeah, I mean I love to meet fellow OC'ers, but it seems like some people still want the security blanket of having an event where everyone is OC'ing to feel comfortable. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting, but I think the thing we need to ALL be doing right now is OC'ing in our normal activities.

People who are afraid to OC and looking for a 'group carry' event need to just conquer their own fears and OC.

Its CLEAR to me that the public is aware this is lawful. Its clear to me that the public doesn't "freak out", and with the dozens and dozens of us OC'ing on a regular basis and not a SINGLE interaction with the police...

There is no one denying you your rights except your own fear.
    Being someone who hasn't OC'd yet off of my private property I can lend a perspective to this. I think that the group events don't serve only to conquer fears of those that may choose to show up to those events. I believe they help the general public conquer their fears as well. More importantly I think that; for me anyway, it helps get up the courage to go and do it every day, not only at that particular event.

I guess that my point is if I were to attend a couple events I would then feel more comfortable doing it by myself and incorporating it into my everyday routine. Heck, just seeing some of those events would make a lot of people feel more comfortable about trying it out. I mean, I know it's legal, I know that it's my right, I just don't feel comfortable with it yet. I think the events help a lot of people.

Of course, most of the reason I don't feel that comfortable with it has more to do with the vehicle restrictions and school zone restrictions than anything else I think.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    Of course, most of the reason I don't feel that comfortable with it has more to do with the vehicle restrictions and school zone restrictions than anything else I think.
    That's understandable. The school zone issue makes it really hard to just walk around. I typically carry on private property such as businesses to get around that law. As for the vehicle restriction, I generally park towards the back of the lot but close enough that there are still cars around mine. Makes it easier to holster up, imo. I'm not sure where you live but take it in small steps if you're still nervous. Go somewhere safe like Gander Mountain in Waukesha for your first time. After that first time it gets far easier.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

The school zone law really has to change or go completely. When you think about it, your need for a gun is probably statistically lower when inside a private business (unless you're in a jewelry store or stop and rob in a bad area) or when traveling in a car. Hell, if you're being attacked in your car, your car is the weapon of choice usually. But just walking the streets, particularly at night or in bad areas, you're more vulnerable. The school zone law really restricts your movements, particularly if you live within a school zone or nearby.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    Hell, if you're being attacked in your car, your car is the weapon of choice usually.
    Especially if I'm driving my F-250 crew cab in Madison and blocked in by 6 or 7 prius's with vegan bumper stickers.

Seriously though,I wouldagree thatyou're more at risk walking around, followed by in your car. The problem with the car is more loading andunloading than anything. I personally am at least risk in my home because I'm within easy reach of one of my AR-15's, a shotgun, my HK-USC, etc. and you can bet I'm grabbing one ofthose instead of a handgun. Never take a handgun to a long gun fight.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla